I delete store from win 8 by accident - how to reinstall it?

I didn't think it was even possible to delete the Store from Windows 8. Are you sure you didn't just unpin it from the Start Screen? If so, it's likely still waiting for you, only out of sight and on the "Apps" screen.

Go to the Start Screen. Right click on a blank spot on the Start Screen. In the bar that pops up on the bottom of your screen, click on the "All apps" icon which will call up the Apps Screen. On the left hand side of the Apps Screen will be an alphabetical listing of all the "Metro" apps on your machine. Look for "Store," right click on the Store icon and at the bottom of the screen choose "Pin to Start." Mouse down to the bottom left corner of the Apps Screen and go back to the Start Screen. The Store tile will be on the far right of all the tiles you have on your Start Screen. Click on it and drag it to where you want it to be.

Or more simply, push the windows key on your keyboard (to bring up the start screen) then start typing the word "Store". From the search results, right-click on it to pin it to your start screen again.

And so it begins. Cannot wait to start troubleshooting college student PCs on Monday...

My guess is along with the others, you probably just unpinned it.

I still need to get a copy for myself to use longer than I've been able to.

I didn't think it was even possible to delete the Store from Windows 8. Are you sure you didn't just unpin it from the Start Screen? If so, it's likely still waiting for you, only out of sight and on the "Apps" screen.

Go to the Start Screen. Right click on a blank spot on the Start Screen. In the bar that pops up on the bottom of your screen, click on the "All apps" icon which will call up the Apps Screen. On the left hand side of the Apps Screen will be an alphabetical listing of all the "Metro" apps on your machine. Look for "Store," right click on the Store icon and at the bottom of the screen choose "Pin to Start." Mouse down to the bottom left corner of the Apps Screen and go back to the Start Screen. The Store tile will be on the far right of all the tiles you have on your Start Screen. Click on it and drag it to where you want it to be.

thanks for the tips but it is not there I tried all that and a system search

Or more simply, push the windows key on your keyboard (to bring up the start screen) then start typing the word "Store". From the search results, right-click on it to pin it to your start screen again.

yup tried that too I guess I have to reformat and install again lol

And so it begins. Cannot wait to start troubleshooting college student PCs on Monday...

My guess is along with the others, you probably just unpinned it.

I still need to get a copy for myself to use longer than I've been able to.

sadly it was my little cousin who started to play on my computer and deleted it :confused:

sadly it was my little cousin who started to play on my computer and deleted it :confused:
Wowsers! I'd love to know how your cousin did it! Your cousin is quite the little hacker!

Before doing a format and reinstall you might as well try to "refresh your PC" and see what happens. Go to the charms bar, click on "Settings" and then "Change PC Settings" at the bottom. Under the "General" heading look for the option to "Refresh your PC without affecting your files" and see if that resolves your issue.

Last edited:
Wowsers! I'd love to know how your cousin did it! Your cousin is quite the little hacker!

Before doing a format and reinstall you might as well try to "refresh your PC" and see what happens. Go to the charms bar, click on "Settings" and then "Change PC Settings" at the bottom. Under the "General" heading look for the option to "Refresh your PC without affecting your files" and see if that resolves your issue.

I tried all that lol. Anyways formatted it and reinstalled it and I notice store only can run on metro.... I can't seem to get the store to run in desktop mode... hmm ...

I tried all that lol. Anyways formatted it and reinstalled it and I notice store only can run on metro.... I can't seem to get the store to run in desktop mode... hmm ...
That's correct. The Store is not a desktop app. Nor do I believe it can be used to download desktop programs. Instead, if a desktop program is advertised on the Store it will instead refer you to the program's own website for downloading.

I'm still scratching my head over how it managed to get deleted from your PC. The Store has no "Uninstall" option. You cannot drag it to the recycle bin. What could have killed it off? One of those mysteries, I guess.

That's correct. The Store is not a desktop app. Nor do I believe it can be used to download desktop programs. Instead, if a desktop program is advertised on the Store it will instead refer you to the program's own website for downloading.

I'm still scratching my head over how it managed to get deleted from your PC. The Store has no "Uninstall" option. You cannot drag it to the recycle bin. What could have killed it off? One of those mysteries, I guess.

kids these days ha

on the side note currently I am stuck in an application install/dl page... no matter what button I chose or right click to go "home" or back I am stuck in that application............ hahahaha :mad:

kids these days ha

on the side note currently I am stuck in an application install/dl page... no matter what button I chose or right click to go "home" or back I am stuck in that application............ hahahaha :mad:

What do you mean you're stuck in that app? What app? You can't drag to close it?

yup tried that too I guess I have to reformat and install again lol

sfc /scannow ? I am assuming it's still there :) Or add/remove windows features (again, assuming it's still there) ?

UPDATE: Windows Features is still there, but didn't see the store listed.

sfc /scannow ? I am assuming it's still there :) Or add/remove windows features (again, assuming it's still there) ?

UPDATE: Windows Features is still there, but didn't see the store listed.

actually.. I was completed removed lol

how do I add/remove win features on win8?

all I see is turn windows feature on and off

All the stuff from Win7 to add/remove features or to change things are still in there.

...in fact...

Go to the bottom left corner where the Start normally pops up, right click.

All the stuff from Win7 to add/remove features or to change things are still in there.

...in fact...

Go to the bottom left corner where the Start normally pops up, right click.

thanks I am still getting used to win8

actually.. I was completed removed lol

how do I add/remove win features on win8?

all I see is turn windows feature on and off

Go back in time. Install Classic Shell.

It makes 8 tolerable :)

Keep good backups. A fresh install from 2 weeks ago unexpectedly imploded on itself when I simply opened a PDF to read it. None of the normal recovery options worked. Luckily I had also set up Server 2012 Essentials and had a backup on the server from the night before. I was able to do a bare-metal restore to recover.

Probably a quirk, but it's a new OS. I'm being a lot more careful now, at least for a while.

Classic Menu's is my #1 recommendation. It allows you to enjoy an otherwise fine OS without all the bullshit (for the most part).

Keep good backups. A fresh install from 2 weeks ago unexpectedly imploded on itself when I simply opened a PDF to read it. None of the normal recovery options worked. Luckily I had also set up Server 2012 Essentials and had a backup on the server from the night before. I was able to do a bare-metal restore to recover.

Probably a quirk, but it's a new OS. I'm being a lot more careful now, at least for a while.

Classic Menu's is my #1 recommendation. It allows you to enjoy an otherwise fine OS without all the bullshit (for the most part).

that is the problem with us early adopters we always get burnt

Back