I don't know why my temps are so high

s00pcan

Limp Gawd
34.jpg

PC looks pretty much the same as it was in this photo. I have a zalman cnps9500 and a e6400. Front fan at the bottom pulls in air, zalman blows air over the heatsink and out the back. Arctic Silver 5 between them, I just redid it and it fills the top of the chip evenly. Rest of the system is in my sig. Anyway, I finally got my system to boot and stay at 3ghz, which required me to raise most of the voltages pretty high to even get it to boot. It idles at 3ghz at about 48-50 celsius and 42 at 2.8ghz. At 2.4 I was at around 38. Load temps are around average 20 degrees higher according to intel's tat program. People are telling me these temps and the voltage are too high for what I should be getting at 3ghz.

One reason, Change your heatsink to Thermalright Ultra 120 extreme.

Well first, clean out your case, I can see there's a lot dust there. A can of compressed air should take care of that.

Also, use CoreTemp or speedfan to confirm the temps that Intel TAT gives you. And while you're running CoreTemp, what's your VID?

Oh and what are your voltages at 3Ghz?

Well first, clean out your case, I can see there's a lot dust there. A can of compressed air should take care of that.

Also, use CoreTemp or speedfan to confirm the temps that Intel TAT gives you. And while you're running CoreTemp, what's your VID?

Oh and what are your voltages at 3Ghz?

Old pic, it has been cleaned out.

I use speedfan and have it running all the time, but I stated the tat temps because I figured they'd be more accurate. Speedfan shows temps about 5 degrees lower all the time compared to tat.

Eh, the voltages were all pretty high, enough for them to turn red on the p5b bios. For instance, I had the vcore at 1.5. I turned them down and am running it at 2.8 for the moment..

not every processor is going to be gods gift to overclocking.
don't burn your shit up.

My 9700 Led must hate me so badly. After reseated the HSF 3 times with no significant results, I decided to jump on Ulta-120 Extreme. The new cooler should arrive next week. Room temp is ~75. Here is the current idle temp.

I agree with Danny, that Zalman sucks.

Get any of these instead:

$35 - Scythe SCNJ-1100P Ninja Plus Rev.B CPU HSF (optional $7 Thermalright LGA775 Bolt-Thru-Kit; recommended if using w/ quadcore)
$45 - Tuniq Tower 120 CPU HSF
$46 - Thermalright Ultima 90 CPU HS + Panaflo Hydrowave Fan, FBA09A12M - Z ($3)
$55 - Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme CPU HS + Scythe S-Flex Fan SFF21E ($15)

The ninja is best for low airflow cases. The Tuniq is better than the Ninja in high airflow cases. The Ultima90 is as good as the Tuniq, yet its smaller and lighter. The Ultra 120 eXtreme is the best air cooler on the market, aside from the IFX14.

Check your chip's IHS. If its concave, you'll need extra thermal compound. If its convex you'll need more mounting pressure.

Reapplying thermal grease might do the trick. I had similar heat problems with my Zalman 9500 and after removing the Zalman thermal grease (probably didn't apply enough the first time installing) and adding Arctic Silver 5 my temps went down to low 30's Celcius.
In case that doesn't work: get another heatsink.

Intel's TAT always gives higher temps than normal. I'd use CoreTemp, Speedfan, SIW & Everest to be sure of the temperature before buying a new HSF. It might just be a bad sensor.

Depending on your chip, TAT should report temps fine. If its a newer chip with a TJunction of 100, use CoreTemp 0.95.4 instead. I think TAT still uses 85 for the TJunction instead of reading it off of the chip.

$46 - Thermalright Ultima 90 CPU HS + Panaflo Hydrowave Fan, FBA09A12M - Z ($3)

I can vouch for that setup as it's exactly what I bought from Jab-Tech a few weeks ago. Right now, I'm idling at 34C in a room that's about 70F with a mild overclock to 320 fsb. Under full load it hits 50-51C. When I get some more free time I'm going to try and bump the fsb some more seeing that I have a good amount of overhead with temperature.

I can vouch for that setup as it's exactly what I bought from Jab-Tech a few weeks ago. Right now, I'm idling at 34C in a room that's about 70F with a mild overclock to 320 fsb. Under full load it hits 50-51C. When I get some more free time I'm going to try and bump the fsb some more seeing that I have a good amount of overhead with temperature.

I had the SLI-FI, and the NB heatsink would get SOOOOO HOT!!! So, make sure you keep that thing cooled somewhow.

Gigabyte P35-DS3R, E6750 @ 3.8Ghz 1.55vCore, 22°C Ambient:
27°C Idle, 52°C Load: Tuniq Tower 120, AC MX-2, stock fan, full RPM
28°C Idle, 52°C Load: Thermalright Ultima 90, AC MX-2, Panaflo fan, full RPM

By the way, my cpu heatsink doesn't even get hot to the touch. Maybe heat is not transferring to it?

Doesn't matter, it was a valid test. My idle temp was 10 higher with no fan and 20 degrees higher under load. It was only for a short period of time and really didn't harm anything.

I had the SLI-FI, and the NB heatsink would get SOOOOO HOT!!! So, make sure you keep that thing cooled somewhow.

Yeah, most definitely. With my order from Jab-Tech I grabbed a thin, 60mm fan which I was able to zip-tie to the stock heatsink. It's not the most elegant solution but it keeps the NB nice and cool...now the heatsink only gets warm to touch even after a night of running Orthos. I was originally thinking of picking up an aftermarket heatsink but I wanted to see how effective adding some airflow to the stock heatsink would be. So far I've been pleased with how it's working so I guess, for the time being, I don't need to get a new NB heatsink for this board.

Doesn't matter, it was a valid test. My idle temp was 10 higher with no fan and 20 degrees higher under load. It was only for a short period of time and really didn't harm anything.

So, did the heatsink get hot to the touch?

With my Ultima90 and my CPU at 3.2Ghz, the E6750 idled at 35°C but reached 75°C during full load, IIRC.

lap your CPU heatspreader. It's been proven that these things are quite uneven often being raised at the corners and lower in the middle.. this is particularly the case when you get one with rounded edges, as opposed to some chips that have straight 90 degree edges which seem to be quite a bit flatter then the ones with rounded edges. When I lapped mine load temperatures dropped 15 degrees... and it was oh so obvious that the thing was not flat and only about 20% of it was making direct contact with the heatsink.

I've lapped 2 of them.. other then lowering their resale value and voiding their warranty which isn't really needed, there's no risk to it really.. it's easy to do.

lap your CPU heatspreader. It's been proven that these things are quite uneven often being raised at the corners and lower in the middle.. this is particularly the case when you get one with rounded edges, as opposed to some chips that have straight 90 degree edges which seem to be quite a bit flatter then the ones with rounded edges. When I lapped mine load temperatures dropped 15 degrees... and it was oh so obvious that the thing was not flat and only about 20% of it was making direct contact with the heatsink.

I've lapped 2 of them.. other then lowering their resale value and voiding their warranty which isn't really needed, there's no risk to it really.. it's easy to do.

As an alternative, you could use extra thermal compound -- others have found this still effective in some cases, with as much as a 10°C drop.

Another alternative is to RMA the CPU to Intel, citing the concave IHS is causing high temps.

Back