[-] Asus P5B-Deluxe/WiFi
[-] 2 GB Crucial Ballistix PC6400 DDR2
[-] C2D E6600
[-] BFG 8800 GTX OC2
[-] 2x250GB Seagate SATAII HDDs
[-] Audigy 2 ZS
[-] Silverstone Strider 750W PSU
[-] Dell 2407WFP Display (much <3)

if i looked it up correctly, the Silverstone Strider 750W PSU is 180mm long (7.09 in.), did you have any fitment issues? how close is it to hitting the mother board? i'm trying to fit a larger psu in this small case...

Why? It looks to me by your specs that you wont be needing much more than 500W.

i want to fit 700W+ suppy for the option to run sli 8800 gtx's. i may never run sli, but i dont want my psu to hold me back if i ever wanted to. and most of the psu i want are in the 7in+ range.

Since we're talking PSU's for the A05 (just got mine today from the Egg for $70 shipped) I've read that a modular style PSU is preferable. But since the fan on the front of the A05 is an exhaust fan, does it matter if the PSU has a front mounted fan or would a bottom mounted fan be better?

I know it doesn't matter as far as mounting it. I 'm more concerned about which style of PSU will stay cooler - Front Mounted Fan PSU or a Bottom Fan PSU

Which type is preferable in the A05? (sorry if this has been asked before)

Generally, it is better to have the PSU fan facing the bottom of the case where there's a little space instead of drawing it through the hard drive rack. If you remove the rack, then you'd have the PSU fan facing up.

Generally, it is better to have the PSU fan facing the bottom of the case where there's a little space instead of drawing it through the hard drive rack. If you remove the rack, then you'd have the PSU fan facing up.

I think you are right. I have done the opposite for not having the corsair stiker in reverse:p, I don't think really that changes the temperatures.

Nice build. Clean, I'll bet you are the envy of your dorm. BTW, shouldnt your ram be in "like -coloured" slots on the P5B? Both yellow I think, help me out here.

That's what I thought. However, upon closer inspection and reading of motherboard manual, it appears that like colored = the same channel. Therefore, in order to get dual channel benefit, the RAM needed to go into adjacent slots. It's very counterintuitive, but it appears to be that way.

Actually, on second thought... I might have taken those pictures before I powered up the first time. My dad, who isn't super computer literate, decided to "help" me assemble everything and tried to put them in one configuration, which we later determined to be wrong. I can't recall if that was it or if it was the other way around. Meh. I'll look it up later.

And yeah, I am the envy of the dorm, especially with my 24" widescreen. I love having people come in and go "that's a HUGE freaking monitor. Did you build this yourself?" It's a major bragging point. :D

That's why I installed it outside of the case on my lap, then when I inserted it, I just held on by the massive heatsink and guided it into the IO plate... screwed down...

Way easier :D

I should have done that, but I had a motherboard installation fiasco. I have always thought it funny that case screws came in coarse-thread and fine-thread varieties. When I got my case, the motherboard standoffs were in a little baggie with one type of screw, and the rest were in a different baggie. Now, logically, the screws that were grouped with the standoffs go with the standoffs, right? WRONG. After screwing in 2 of them sideways and wondering why on earth it wasn't going in straight, I figured out that the standoffs had fine threads and the screws had coarse. Needless to say, it stripped both screws and ruined one standoff. I had THE worst time getting them out and was really, really pissed off. By the time I got them both undone, I just wanted to screw the motherboard down and never move it again. So the heatsink had to come later... :D

if i looked it up correctly, the Silverstone Strider 750W PSU is 180mm long (7.09 in.), did you have any fitment issues? how close is it to hitting the mother board? i'm trying to fit a larger psu in this small case...

I did not have any fitting issues. It's probably 2 inches or so from hitting the motherboard. The only problem I had was that Silverstone's mounting holes and Lian-Li's front-mounting plate didn't appear to line up, and I had to play with it for a few minutes before I got it to work correctly. My advice to you would be to figure out exactly which cables you need to use (since it's modular) and unplug all the unused ones first. That makes it easier. I unplugged them all, installed the PSU, and then tried to plug in selectively. It worked well, but my large hands made it difficult to plug in some of the smaller cables in the bottom of the case. Overall, the PSU fits great and gives me no trouble.

CaseMods002Medium.jpg

CaseMods003Medium.jpg

CaseMods008Medium.jpg

"I used one of the ideas I saw in this thread...the front and rear fans are both intake, psu fan flipped (Internally) and the top 2 fans are exhaust. The holes are a little rough around the edges, and one is slightly lopsided :[ (first modding job :/ ) but I have some rubber trim coming that will hopefully make it look nicer. Specs are x2 5400+ @ 3.01GHz. EVGA 8600GT SSC. 2GB Gskill DDR2 800. Gigabyte GA-m57SLI-S4."

Was asked to post this here :eek:

[Tripod]MajorPayne;1032131509 said:
I did not have any fitting issues. It's probably 2 inches or so from hitting the motherboard. The only problem I had was that Silverstone's mounting holes and Lian-Li's front-mounting plate didn't appear to line up, and I had to play with it for a few minutes before I got it to work correctly. My advice to you would be to figure out exactly which cables you need to use (since it's modular) and unplug all the unused ones first. That makes it easier. I unplugged them all, installed the PSU, and then tried to plug in selectively. It worked well, but my large hands made it difficult to plug in some of the smaller cables in the bottom of the case. Overall, the PSU fits great and gives me no trouble.

i think saying it has another 2 in. before it hits the motherboard in your setup is a bit on the generous side. the power supply i'm trying to run is only 0.4 in. longer than yours, so I hope you're not exagerating too much when you say 2 in. of extra space. there's only one way to find out, i'm just going to have to try it.

thanks

i think saying it has another 2 in. before it hits the motherboard in your setup is a bit on the generous side. the power supply i'm trying to run is only 0.4 in. longer than yours, so I hope you're not exagerating too much when you say 2 in. of extra space. there's only one way to find out, i'm just going to have to try it.

thanks

Upon second inspection, 2 inches IS a little generous, and if you'll look at the close-up of the inside:

s5000499bz5.jpg

You'll see that the floppy connector on my motherboard sticks out a bit vertically. (It's the black piece.) If you don't have anything sticking out vertically there, even if your PSU hangs over the edge of the motherboard there, it'll be fine. There is some vertical clearance between the PSU and the motherboard's PCB. In fact, I'm almost positive that the PSU will clear that floppy port if nothing is plugged into it. 0.4 inches longer should be no problem. I think there is at least that much horizontal room.

I did a quick search but didn't find the answer I was looking for, but do you think that the Thermalright IFX-14 will fit in this case? The secondary heatsink is my source of concern. I'm guessing from just visual inspection that it could be positioned in between the power supply and the main HSF with the proper wire management, but I'm worried about clearance. Does anyone have any experience with this combination?

Can anyone verify for me that the video card in [Tripod]MajorPayne's A05B is indeed a 8800 GTX ?

Edit: OK, I can see that it is indeed a 8800 GTX in the picture of his A05B. I have looked into this and here's what I found out. It seems that the only limiting factor to installing an 8800 GTX card in an A05B is explained back on page 40; a post by kirbyrj indicated the following:

The issues you are going to run into depend on where the PCIe slot is on your motherboard. My 8800GTS ends up in the first two slots of the case. Other motherboards will skip the first "slot" and move it toward the end of the motherboard, so it will be higher in the case (as the motherboard is inverted). I have about 1.5" between the 8800GTS and the top HDD. In that space, I have the 6-pin power connector and the SATA cables for the HDD (power and data). I think the dual 6-pin connectors with the orientation coming out the top would interfere with the top HDD SATA cables as the GTX is somewhat longer than the GTS. But that does depend on your motherboard's PCIe placement also. I'm citing this with the DS2R in my sig, so if you don't get any other responses just compare pics of that with the placement of your mobo's PCIe slot.

On page 42 a person asks about the A05b accommodating an 8800 Ultra. Again kirbyrj replies:

It depends on the placement of the PCIe slot on the motherboard and the HDD placement inside the case. If you have three HDD's and the PCIe slot falls in the top slot, you might have a problem. Other than that, it should fit, although it will be tight.

If you look on page 28 you can see the pics (posted by member Darkside) show how, despite the length of the GTX, it will fit in the A05B. However, if you look at the pics posted by dannyd86 of his A05B on page 40 and then read the comments by kirbyrj it becomes clear that cables can present a problem. if your mobo is of the design of a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L which has the PCIe in the first slot. Thus this could be difficult to utilize the top slot in the HDD cage.

Is there anyway around this or any mod to solve this issue? I would like to install a 8800GTX and I would like to run 3 HDDs. Or even if just two HDD's it would be better to have the separated and therefor the top slot needs to be populated. I'd really like to hear from some experts on how they would get around this problem. Thanks guys

Can anyone verify for me that the video card in [Tripod]MajorPayne's A05B is indeed a 8800 GTX ?

Is there anyway around this or any mod to solve this issue? I would like to install a 8800GTX and I would like to run 3 HDDs. Or even if just two HDD's it would be better to have the separated and therefor the top slot needs to be populated. I'd really like to hear from some experts on how they would get around this problem. Thanks guys

Yes, my card is an 8800GTX, and it fits fine. I'd be fine even with a 3rd hard drive, but it would begin to become a tight fit. If your card sits lower, then it would be a problem with a 3rd drive.

One REALLY easy way around that problem would be to use the internal bay for your HDD. Instead of taking the cover off and using a floppy drive, put your third hard drive in that bay, leaving the 2 bottom ones in the cage occupied and enough space for your card.

Other than that, just buy 2 larger HDD's instead of 3 smaller ones if that's a viable option.

[Tripod]MajorPayne;1032138623 said:
One REALLY easy way around that problem would be to use the internal bay for your HDD. Instead of taking the cover off and using a floppy drive, put your third hard drive in that bay, leaving the 2 bottom ones in the cage occupied and enough space for your card.

Other than that, just buy 2 larger HDD's instead of 3 smaller ones if that's a viable option.

Excellent suggestions. And thanks for verifying the 8800GTX will fit. I'm going with a single GTX in a DS3L mobo so it appears that it's going to sit low. Can't believe I didn't think of just getting bigger capacity HDD's. :eek:

I just got all my parts for this case today and its the best case/pc I have yet to build. My silencer 610 has way more cables then I need and I think the task of hiding them all may be a royal pain. I knew I shoudl've gotten a modular ps.. oh well you live you learn. Anyone know where the best deal to get the dvd-rom covers is? I will post some pics when I get it all cleaned up :D.

Hey guys,I saw this monitor from Darkstofknightz and wanted to know whom is the maker..anybody know???

blackao52jn2.jpg

They really shouldn't have wasted the space for the text but make the picture bigger ... ;)

I did a quick search but didn't find the answer I was looking for, but do you think that the Thermalright IFX-14 will fit in this case? The secondary heatsink is my source of concern. I'm guessing from just visual inspection that it could be positioned in between the power supply and the main HSF with the proper wire management, but I'm worried about clearance. Does anyone have any experience with this combination?

Can anyone provide some insight please?

Hmmm, let's see ... the Heatsink Body of the Thermalright IFX-14 is ...

Dimension: L146.2 x W124 x H161 mm (heatsink only)
Weight: 790g (heatsink only)
Recommended Fan: All 120mm & 140mm Fan
http://www.madshrimps.be/?action=getarticle&articID=673 is a pretty good review by the way.

If we consider now for the Lian Li PC-A05A the following measurements ...

Dimensions: 210x381x490mm(W,H,D)

... then I think 210 mm should provide enough space for the motherboard and the heigth of 161 mm for the CPU cooler ... meaning:

210 mm (width of case) - 161 mm (heigth of CPU cooler) = 51 mm (left for motherboard and CPU socket)

At least on the PC case side I can't see the problem.

Thanks for responding, but that doesn't quite answer my question. I was never concerned about the case being able to fit the main heat sink, but it also has an auxiliary heat that attaches to the underside of the motherboard. I believe there are two possible positions for it, I'm just trying to see if one of them will work before sinking money into it.

I've attached a image for reference.
coolercharts2008_72473.jpg

The reviews for that heatsink really didn't seem too amazing... Any reason for getting one over a 120Ultra or Tuniq Tower?

I just had to give this case a try with SLI. Even without the 2nd videocard the system gets to hot with the sidepanel closed. It now runs with 1 card and without the sidepanel.
The heat of the psu is another problem. Time for some modding I guess. Without additional holes you can't get 8800GTX x2 working, thats for sure.

I honestly think LianLi should have gone for standard (non-flipped) mobo with a front intake and rear exhaust... add mesh holes on the front like the V1000 series and maybe a filter... (there's room between the panel and fan) and we'd be better off.

I'm going WCing :eek: so it doesn't matter as much to me...

Well after getting this case I think that they didnt have SLI and everything else that people are putting in to these in mind, I'm sure they figured if people wanted more performance they would get one of their more expensive cases. WIth that said I love this case and if you get creative I know you can make it work for whatever you want to shove in this little guy.

I honestly think LianLi should have gone for standard (non-flipped) mobo with a front intake and rear exhaust... add mesh holes on the front like the V1000 series and maybe a filter... (there's room between the panel and fan) and we'd be better off.

I'm going WCing :eek: so it doesn't matter as much to me...

My God, it's like they read your mind. :rolleyes:

I hope im not asking for too much, but can someone post a pic of your top blowhole with a grill(double or single) ? And did it come with gasket material to minimize vibration? Thank you.

Not the same size as A05!111 :rolleyes:

Sorry I think the inverted format is stupid. My q6600 has gotten to 60's idle. I shit you not, that's bad case design. I pull the front panel off and that number drops to mid 30's

True, a severely flawed case when it comes to heat, but a top blowhole and a bs-02/03(especially for furnace video cards like 3870x2), couple yate loons and scythe flex fans around the case remedies it. If I didnt do any of those mods I would of gotten rid of mine.

just got my a05 from performance-pcs.com, opted for the bolt on window and top 120mm blowhole. this case is hella nice. picture might seem ruff around the edges of the window, but i cleaned it up with a microfiber towel. seems like left over chalk they prolly used to mark the location of the window. came right off.

DSC00004.JPG

DSC00005.JPG

DSC00006.JPG

DSC00007.JPG

True, a severely flawed case when it comes to heat, but a top blowhole and a bs-02/03(especially for furnace video cards like 3870x2), couple yate loons and scythe flex fans around the case remedies it. If I didnt do any of those mods I would of gotten rid of mine.

We have nearly identical setups, but I got watercooling parts on the way, just need a rad, and tubing... and to cut into the top :eek:

Hopefully I won't mess it up :D

Back