I got my LianLi PC-A05B ! it's Small!

Not the same size as A05!111 :rolleyes:

Sorry I think the inverted format is stupid. My q6600 has gotten to 60's idle. I shit you not, that's bad case design. I pull the front panel off and that number drops to mid 30's

all those things you don't like about the A05 are exactly what allow it to be that size.

BTW, Is one of your Optical drive or your Floppy drive bays open? if so, that's a pretty big hole allowing the air coming out of the front fan, and PSU to go right back in the case (thru the bottom of the dummy plates), try taping them shut and see if that makes any difference.

I agree that (without modification) this case can have some thermal issues, but nothing that can't be overcome. After all, this is the case MODDING forum.

I've seen some pretty creative fixes for these issues in this forum.

What drew me to the case is the size and quiet potential, without any modding needed, since my system has all cool running components, yet still does everything a want from it.

Yes I know, thank you. I couldnt tell by the pics(yours either) if you used a gasket between the case and fan, or grill for that matter. Thanks though.

No gasket needed for me. Maybe cuz the type of screws I used.

After all, this is the case MODDING forum.

"[H]ard|Forum > [H]ard|Ware > Cases & Case Modding"

Cases... AND Case modding...

It doesn't need to be inverted or reverse airflow to be that size. The only thing LianLi did was move the PSU from the back, to the front. Cutting down the height.

This case is the exact same depth and width as the PC-6X's... it's just shorter...

You shouldn't be forced to mod the case from it's stock design to handle a modern CPU.

LianLi cases are really nice looking, but I think they are a little overpriced. Very awesome cases if you can get them cheap!

Wow. 80 pages and still going. Finally noticed folks complaining a bit too.

Just for reference for the guy with two 8800gtx's and high temps, my best friend has a quad setup with 2 8800gtx's in SLI in his rig - case is a lian li A10B and he gets temps in the same range as you. Case was wired well for good airflow and he even added an additional fan inside the case on a rack to move more air onto his graphics cards with little change in temps.

He ended up putting 3 120's in the top with a radgrill to help with his temps. Seems to have done the trick.

Now, for my question. I want to mod the top of my case to allow for 2 120mm fans, but I'd rather buy a top to do it with rather than cut mine to shreds and risk ruining it. Would one of the replacement case tops that performance pcs sells fit this case? I'm thinking something like the pc-6x or pc-7x tops. Anyone know?

PC-6X tops should logically fit. you might have to look more in-depth to find what rivets are where... etc...

Hmm. I'll compare them this weekend then. UPS estimates my package will arrive on Friday, so Saturday morning I'll be building my A05b AM2 rig. Since I'm using a PC-65b now, I'll see how the tops compare. I wouldn't mind a blowhole, but the PC-65b's blowhole is in the center, whereas the A05b would need exhaust towards the back.

I bought a slot cooler to help exhaust the trapped air in the top corner in the meantime.

Hmm. I'll compare them this weekend then. UPS estimates my package will arrive on Friday, so Saturday morning I'll be building my A05b AM2 rig. Since I'm using a PC-65b now, I'll see how the tops compare. I wouldn't mind a blowhole, but the PC-65b's blowhole is in the center, whereas the A05b would need exhaust towards the back.

I bought a slot cooler to help exhaust the trapped air in the top corner in the meantime.

my A05b is coming friday too. i ordered it from performancepc because they sell it with the top 120mm blowhole option but now im a little disappointed after seeing this picture.

DSC00006.JPG

the blowhole should be closer to the back (to exhaust the hot air coming from the video card) instead of sitting right in the middle.

"[H]ard|Forum > [H]ard|Ware > Cases & Case Modding"

Cases... AND Case modding...

It doesn't need to be inverted or reverse airflow to be that size. The only thing LianLi did was move the PSU from the back, to the front. Cutting down the height.

This case is the exact same depth and width as the PC-6X's... it's just shorter...

You shouldn't be forced to mod the case from it's stock design to handle a modern CPU.

Precisely my point, you have to move the power supply to make that size case.

So if you want that size case, (and lian li quality) guess where the PSU will be? and if the PSU is up front, guess which way the air will flow?

Yeah. I'm too scared to cut into my A05b. I've never cut up a case or drilled fan mount holes. I think the slot cooler will do the trick.

Blowholes can be blocked too, depending on where the tower is stored. I'm supposed to store my tower in part of my desk, but there's only a few inches above it when I do. Also, I tend to store papers and mail on top of my computer, and sometimes I find my blowhole a little covered. :D :eek:

Precisely my point, you have to move the power supply to make that size case.

So if you want that size case, (and lian li quality) guess where the PSU will be? and if the PSU is up front, guess which way the air will flow?

PSU Fans are weak... I wouldn't use that as an excuse to determine the airflow of the case...

Once I go watercooling, front fan will be intake, rear will be exhaust...

Yeah. I'm too scared to cut into my A05b. I've never cut up a case or drilled fan mount holes. I think the slot cooler will do the trick.

Blowholes can be blocked too, depending on where the tower is stored. I'm supposed to store my tower in part of my desk, but there's only a few inches above it when I do. Also, I tend to store papers and mail on top of my computer, and sometimes I find my blowhole a little covered. :D :eek:

I've done a few case mods before but my blowholes always come out looking a little sloppy and the extra $30 that it costs compared to newegg isnt really an issue for me...althought it is a ripoff. now im kinda annoyed after seeing that picture.

Yea... Performance-PCS seems to do them dead-center....

I got a spare A05 case (literally)

and most of the "bad" cutting is covered up with a rad-grill...

PC-6X tops should logically fit. you might have to look more in-depth to find what rivets are where... etc...

I think I might buy one since they're cheap and have at it with my dremel. I figure the rad grill can help cover up any imperfections.

Now, anyone got any advice on getting the rivets cut off without making a mess? And what size screws and nuts should I use to put the top back on once I'm done?

You should drill rivets out, should be no mess... just a hole...

And I'd just check ace's hardware for screws/nuts that fit through the hole :)

I prefer allen-head screws personally...

Well I threw mine back into the A05B and out of the mammoth P182 it had been in for a few weeks.
P182 is a nice case it's just too frickin' huge/heavy.

IMG_1058.jpg

Right, closed

IMG_1060.jpg

Right, open

IMG_1062.jpg

Right, open, zoom

I will be getting the Sunbeam 5.25" bay 4 bus fan controller + a Thermalright HR-03 GT gpu cooler for the 8800GT soon; hopefully order next week but I'm sure they won't come 'til the following week. Can't wait... ;)

AHHHHHH! The rest of my AM2 build is coming today! :D

And I'm taking a half-day tomorrow so I can go home early and put it all together.

The nice thing about UPS is they drop off my packages at like 5:30pm, even though they get them on the truck at 5am. It's nice not to be worried all day at work. FedEx would have it on my porch at 10am, and not even hidden. :(

Did anyone find it easier to install the motherboard before the intake (rear) fan? I'm debating. I just replaced the front (exhaust) fan with a Yate Loon. Wondering if the width of the rear fan might hinder putting in the motherboard. Not impossible, but I don't want to scratch or poke anything.

I'm an idjit. :D

I put it together last night, and I'll be dual-booting Vista Business and XP Pro, both 32-bit. So far so good. I'm leaving work at noon today to go play with it some more. :D

Did anyone find it easier to install the motherboard before the intake (rear) fan? I'm debating. I just replaced the front (exhaust) fan with a Yate Loon. Wondering if the width of the rear fan might hinder putting in the motherboard. Not impossible, but I don't want to scratch or poke anything.

Rip the fan out, its a 2 second job. You wont regret it.

Hi, i have a question about this case. I am thinking of buying this one. But i am afraid that i get a problem with putting in a GT8800 or GT9600 with the Accelero S1 pasive/active heatsink.

The slots or all up the case, i was hoping that they were down in the case. That way i could blow the heat upwards letting the cpu fan blow it out the case.
Now i must blow the heat downwards, which can be a problem because heat is always going up.

Will the upper part of the case become a heat trap? And no i am not willing to create a hole in top of the case :)

I read everywhere how good this classic case is and how good the airflow is routed. But in my case i dont have a good feeling yet. Any thoughts?

Btw the rest of this case will be filled with 2 harddisks Samsung F1 750gb, E8400 + Scythe Ninija, 4gb mem, Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R and a Corsair HX520 or HX620 and ofcourse some new quit fans

I bought this cheap slot cooler to exhaust the hot air in the top corner. It actually works really well. It's a bit loud though.

The slots have to be higher because the motherboard goes in upside-down.

I don't quite understand the airflow scheme you want. The rear fan is your intake, which will blow right through your heatsink/fan, across your hard drives, and then exhausted by the front fan. I don't know what you mean about your heatsink fan blowing heat out of the case. Can you clarify a little better?

I have a little heat trap in the front corner where my optical drive is. Not hot or anything, just a pocket of warmer air. I'm not too conerned about my DVD drive. With a Tuniq Tower, my CPU idles around 35C and gets to about 43C under load. Not too shabby, but the slot cooler really helps. Someday I might cut a blowhole so I can use a quiet 120mm fan, but in the meantime it's not bad.

My fault. Not the cpu fan is blowing out of the case its the front fan. Btw do i need a cpu fan if the rear fan is already blowing againts the ninja cooler?

But still if i look at the pictures, i see the air coming in via the rear (under) going through the fan and leaving via the front fan. However that way the air stream doesnt seem to pass the pci cards were my hot 8800GT will be sitting. So that hot air seems to rise and get trapped up in the case.

Depends on your specific PCI-E 16x slot location.. but as far as I know, the cards end up just above the HDD cage, so you should be fine for (guessing) ~ 1.5" past the motherboard...

Although I wouldn't go buying an A05 and assuming it will fit... wait for dimensions to be released, and have someone measure

I think I got to page 40, before I decided to order the PC-A05B. There are a lot of nice setups in this thread, so I'm sure I can leach some ideas to keep it cool and clean. I like the double blowhole, using a rad grill to push fresh air to the dead zone over the video card.

I'll post pics, once I order the rest of my parts.

I like the double blowhole, using a rad grill to push fresh air to the dead zone over the video card.

I was looking at some of the double blowhole mods that have been posted through-out this thread. It was my understanding that these were oriented as exhaust to allow hot air to escape and not as an intake to push/suck fresh air in, correct?

I was looking at some of the double blowhole mods that have been posted through-out this thread. It was my understanding that these were oriented as exhaust to allow hot air to escape and not as an intake to push/suck fresh air in, correct?

Indeed. Hot air rises so by having those as intake you'd be forcing the hot air back down into the case.

Indeed. Hot air rises so by having those as intake you'd be forcing the hot air back down into the case.

I got the opposite impression from this thread. Hot air does rise, but how will having dual 120's pushing air out of the case work against the GPU fan trying to suck air in?

Also, what does everyone recommend for anti-vibration matting?

I'm thinking about putting a Gigabyte GA-EX38-DS4 in mine, but can't decide on memory.

I think I'm going to pick this case up given this week's newegg deal, but could someone clarify the fan situation for me? It looks like this thing only comes with one 120mm fan for the rear, is that right? But it actually takes two 120mm fans? Am I going to need to pick up another one for the front?

Any recommendations on the best fan setup for this case? I'd like to avoid having to make a separate order for fans after I get it...

Back