I got my LianLi PC-A05B ! it's Small!

I want to replace the front and back 120mm fans of my new PC-A05 case with two 120mm Noctua NF-S12 800rpm Quiet case fans and then another 800 RPM fan sucking air through the Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme.

Would three 800rpm fans be enough for airflow through this case OR should I look at getting 1200rpm fans?

Finally put together a new computer.
I have my Xigmatek fan sucking in air instead of blowing so basically it's running a dual fan setup since the intake fan is so close. Since the powersupply is flipped, it's harder to hide the thick wires coming out of the power supply ><!

P1020268.jpg

Should be fine. The airflow in the lower section of the case is very excellent, it's the top back portion of the case which hot air gets trapped with a gpu cooler that has no exhaust set up. I'm runnning silverstone fn121s as my case fans and it's pretty damn awesome.

Just got:
A05B
evga 9800gtx
evga 750i FTW
Q9300
8gb Mushkin
Zalman 9700nt
and some green cold cathodes

cant wait to put it all together

now sli'd:

sic_sli_a05.jpg

sic_sli_a05b.jpg

i have a 120mm blow hole with fan right above the fan of the top 8800 gtx. i have it intaking air. when it was exhausting air, it was opposing the fan direction of the 8800 gtx and would get very high temps. now as in intake, it gets fresh cool air from outside and directly into the top 8800 gtx. the top 8800gtx idles at ~63 deg C, and always about ~5 deg C cooler than the bottom card (idle and load).

bs-03 doesnt do much. i've tried it as an intake and exhaust, it also had a 100+cfm scythe fan. i don't see any temp changes at all. but as an exhaust, i do feel it blowing alot of hot air to the back.

my cpu idle temps have risen 5+deg since sli'ing! and takes alot longer to cool after load. i think with a second card, twice the heat source, and i'm guessing the inside ambient temp of my case has definately risen, thus affecting the cooling performance of the heat sink. i've ordered a swiftech's h20-220 compact to hopefully remedy this.

so, i'll have a bs-03 and a zalman 9700-nt for sale in about a week if anyone wants it.

How much for the bs-03? :D

BTW, wouldn't it work better as an intake? If it blows hot air to the back, wouldn't the same hot air go back into the case with the 120mm intake right under it?

aznpxdd: i bought it for 21.95 +shipping, i'd probably sell it for 5 dollars less +plus shipping. i'll let you know after the lcs is up and running. as far as its orientation, your reasoning is right, i thought about that, exhausting hot air to the back would result in some hot air getting back into the case from the intake fan below. i dunno, i've tried it both ways, i just think it moves more air as an exhaust.

GJSNeptune: i don't feel the cards themselves exhaust alot of air, certainly not as much as the bs-03. but you do feel SOME heat going on there in the back from the video car, but as far as actually feeling the air moving, cfm wise, not too much.

Here is my setup. I got the video card long before I even knew this case existed. Turned out to be a really good choice. It runs very cool in this setup. I still want to add some cooling to the top. The M780 puts off more heat than you would think, so the top of the case gets good and hot.

I really like the clean look of no side/top vents, so it looks like I will probably get a BS-03 or go ghetto style and custom make one out of cardboard.

case.jpg

The airflow in this case has treated me well so far. My HDD never go over 35C degrees and my cpu during prime load does not go over 65C at 3.2 with a Q6600. I do need to find a new north bridge cooler since the one that comes with the ds3l sucks.
Maybe I'll add a BS-03 to feed in fresh air to the graphic card.

Here is my setup. I got the video card long before I even knew this case existed. Turned out to be a really good choice. It runs very cool in this setup. I still want to add some cooling to the top. The M780 puts off more heat than you would think, so the top of the case gets good and hot.

I really like the clean look of no side/top vents, so it looks like I will probably get a BS-03 or go ghetto style and custom make one out of cardboard.

http://home.centurytel.net/weissmann/case.jpg

I feel like before you go the route of ghetto mods and money spending you should take some time to organize your cables. With that big heatsync on your video card, and with it located where it is, it would be able to get plenty of air pushing through it. I don't think a BS-03 would do you much good if the heatsync is working properly. Something if you're going to add the BS-03 I would personally probably flip that heatsync around so that it's above the card, then the BS-03 could just pull hot air directly off of it.

I feel like before you go the route of ghetto mods and money spending you should take some time to organize your cables. With that big heatsync on your video card, and with it located where it is, it would be able to get plenty of air pushing through it. I don't think a BS-03 would do you much good if the heatsync is working properly. Something if you're going to add the BS-03 I would personally probably flip that heatsync around so that it's above the card, then the BS-03 could just pull hot air directly off of it.

That heatsink can only go that way. There is no flipping it around. There is no problem with the bottom half of the case. The CPU, Video card, northbridge, and hard drives all run very cool. Much cooler than they did before. The problem is that there is absolutely no airflow in the area above the video card.

The system was running at neutral pressure, the same amount of air in as out. I did end up making a custom BS-03 for the top (used a 80mm fan)and it solved all the final heat problems. It is like night and day. The top of the case now runs 1-2 F within room temp. The system is also now running under positive pressure, which will keep the case much cleaner. Here is a pic.

casemod.jpg

If they would have used a stealth cover on the ODD drive it would have been waaay better... looks nice though, only one 120 rad is kinda eh...

I PMed Viperlover, but does anyone else have a 9800GTX in their A05b? I'm a bit concerned about it fitting.

Is there a consensus on whether it is better to have the PSU fan facing up or down?

I've searched the thread with not great results. I have the Corsair HX 620 and have seen some people in this thread face the fan up and others down.

Logically it makes sense to face it up to expell the hot air so it gets sucked out from the front fan however I don't know if this adversely affects other components above it. Facing down would solve this issue however it would be forcing hot air down only to rise right back up into the PSU again.

Thanks

The fan on the PSU is an exhaust fan, realistically meant to exhaust hot air from the PSU and computer out through where the AC plug is.

Power supply fans are INTAKE.

If you use the HDD cage, you want the PSU fan to face the bottom of the case.

>_<

The PSU takes hot air from the case and the PSU itself and expels it out the back of the PSU.

In a normal ATX case, (which is what these are, ATX Power supplys) the fan is an exhaust.

What's important is that the PSU fan is intake and needs room to breathe. Therefore, if you use the HDD cage, you want the PSU facing down.

Ok great, I'm used to the rear PSU on my last couple builds, never a front mount so it's a bit strange.

I wasn't sure if those holes in the bottom of the cage were enough ventilation for the fan, did look pretty tight (although the bottom is fairly tight as well).

Right side up the PSU goes, thanks for the input.

Sorry for the absolute shit camera and bad lighting, but this is what I just built, specs in sig.
lmao, I think my phone takes better pictures, 1st 3 from camera, rest from phone.

dsc05945nk4.jpg

dsc05946go1.jpg

dsc05947wh6.jpg

0430080005oh9.jpg

0430080031bj2.jpg

0501082009iq3.jpg

0501082010as2.jpg

0501082011og7.jpg

If you can run the GTX in the 2nd slot, try that... and move the other PCI card down, that way the GTX is getting all the cooling, instead of half of it (Cause the card blocks the other half)

Very nice!

Tomorrow evening I'll be busting out my Sunbeam Rheobus, modding its LEDs with resistors, working on cable management, and then popping in a Palit 9800GTX.

It's gonna be a great weekend. The girlfriend will be out of town with her friends. I have TF2 pre-loaded for the free weekend. :D

If you can run the GTX in the 2nd slot, try that... and move the other PCI card down, that way the GTX is getting all the cooling, instead of half of it (Cause the card blocks the other half)
From prior experience with this case, I used to have an 8800gts and the top got HOT. So I have my fans up there as exhausts. If I moved the 9800 up, it would get deprived of air.

Uh... Where else is the GTX going to get air from?

You're just trying to pull heat away from the GTX... putting it closer to the exhaust fans would remove more heat than not...

Jessica Simpson? I know there's a picture of her with a vacuum of sorts. Don't remember if it was a Swiffer or not.

Jessica Simpson? I know there's a picture of her with a vacuum of sorts. Don't remember if it was a Swiffer or not.

Yup, I'm 99% sure it's her. It was for a Rolling Stone shoot and you can see the Rolling Stone logo in the corner. Either that or it's a parody of that shoot.

I run dual 8800gtx's with that top and while it does get hot, it doesn't get hot enough to effect performance. Just my 2c.

Well it was this thread that inspired me to build myself a new rig in the first place, so 6 months later here we are!

Disclaimer: Pics are terrible. I'm a computer nerd not an AV nerd; plus my fingers were sore from those damn push pins!

Before:
DSCN0446.jpg

After:
DSCN0455.jpg

DSCN0456.jpg

Well this was my first time trying to hide wires and stuff, I don't know how some people manage to make all their wires disappear! And I know, I have to buy a stealth cover for my optical drive!

Uh... Where else is the GTX going to get air from?

You're just trying to pull heat away from the GTX... putting it closer to the exhaust fans would remove more heat than not...

i wanna say otherwise. i have a single blow hole on my a05 right above where the fan is located on the 8800gtx. when i got a the second 8800gtx, it sits on the top most slot right against the blow hole. with the top 120mm blowhole exhausting air, it did deprive the intake fan of the 8800 gtx, card would overheat. when i flipped the fan to make it an intake, temps were way better. it was drawing fresh cool air from outside directly to the intake fan of the 8800 gtx, the card in the top position is always 5+ deg cooler than the bottom...

Well it was this thread that inspired me to build myself a new rig in the first place, so 6 months later here we are!
Well this was my first time trying to hide wires and stuff, I don't know how some people manage to make all their wires disappear! And I know, I have to buy a stealth cover for my optical drive!

Nice but I have a suggestion. Have you thought about changing the position of the fan on the CPU heatsink to the other side and blowing towards the front of the case? Since that rear fan is already bringing new air to the heatsink like 1 inch away its a little redundant. A lot of ppl in this thread are doing that including myself. You should note that Ive been too lazy to actually test temperatures though.

Back