I got my LianLi PC-A05B ! it's Small!

Looking at your setup, I'd say the pump itself is mostly to blame. Those DB-1's are quiet when set-up right, but they DO vibrate like a son-of-a-gun, but I don't think it works for the current setup. You could easily drop in a DDC in its place perhaps with a replacement top so it won't disturb your current loop config, and it'd probably take care of the issue you're having.

Thanks for the advice, I started out with the so called quiet MCP655-B, which was really bad. Martins Lab had a review of the DDCX-Pro stating how quiet it was, but vibrations are there for sure. I'm going to try Petra's gel stuff before I get yet another pump !

I'm having strange fascinations around building a wooden/acrylic case where I could suspend the pump and isolate it totally from the case as well...

igp7071resizednt2.jpg

That northbridge cooler is "da bomb".. I have this thermalright cooler on my Asus P5E-VM HDMI and I have gotten outstanding results (500+ FSB's). Pair with my Xigmatek S1284EE, my temps are pretty darn low considering I am throwing roughly 1.5vcore at my Q6600, which is overclocked to 3.6ghz.

IDLETEMPS36ghz.jpg

DSCN1049-nb.jpg

Thanks for the advice, I started out with the so called quiet MCP655-B, which was really bad. Martins Lab had a review of the DDCX-Pro stating how quiet it was, but vibrations are there for sure. I'm going to try Petra's gel stuff before I get yet another pump !

I'm having strange fascinations around building a wooden/acrylic case where I could suspend the pump and isolate it totally from the case as well...

Can't go wrong with petra's gel stuff! I was going to recommend that, but you're well-ahead. Good luck with the build(re)build! :)

cyberkost,

I really like the airflow in my case. I have two Noctua NF-S12 -800 fans in place of the Lian-li fans, to keep it quiet, and it works great for airflow with the Earthwatts 500 PSU, the same as yours.

HOWEVER, I had a slightly protruding pin on one of my 4 pin power plugs. When I powered up the first time, it was shorting into the case, and immediately started smoking. Why did this happen? There is little room for cable management right behind the psu, if you have unused cables. They were crammed into the open drive bay, and shorted out when touching it. It was not elegant to begin with. It hindered airflow and cable management, and now it cost me some damage to the hardware. I am determined to change to a Modular PSU like I wanted to in the first place. I did not have one on hand when I assembled my system, and now I regret it. I am buying an Enermax Modu82+ because of its quality and silence (see SilentPCReview if you need convincing).

If you need further convincing, then consider that you see lots of people with modular power supplies in the pictures of this thread for a reason. Use your modular one, you won´t regret it. There is plenty of room in the case for everything, contrary to its size, but where to put the unused cables is a hassle. The temps on my PSU are steady at 54C. I have a Q6600 with a Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Cooler. It works great. The front case fan should be able to re-route the airflow around the back of your PSU, if you face the PSU fan down. Your choice.

Good luck

Shaky

Just a heads up (though many are probably already aware): the old CD/DVD bezel (C-01) is discontinued (and can be bought at a discount). The new one (C-02) is in and it's much prettier as the two vertical slits are now removed. $14.95+shipping and you can make the face of A05 even cleaner ;).

A few more shots:
edit: oh, I almost forgot... the slim slot-in DVD burner that will certainly be fitted next to the fans. Their bracket will have to undergo surgery once again...

Gab, you're building a perfect case. I was concerned since your first post (just finished reading all the 125 pages) that your build will be flawed by not accommodating a DVD drive, but you've addressed that in your latest post. I do think though that placing DVD drive in the middle is bad not only from an aesthetic perspective but also b/c it will limit the height of the mighty HDD rack/stack you seem to have on your mind. Why not put the drive right above the PSU? You won't have to cut an opening in the original Lian-Li front panel if you do that ...

This might be an odd request but:
Can someone who actually owns the case measure the height and width of the door for me? I shall pay you in gratitude!

This might be an odd request but:
Can someone who actually owns the case measure the height and width of the door for me? I shall pay you in gratitude!

What door are you talking about? (I have the case and can take a measurement).

I got my A05B from Newegg few days ago. Several things are different (as Lian-Li does seem to be tweaking the case a little bit) from the cases shown in the earlier pages ... I would not say I like all of the changes, but here they are:
1. Motherboard tray now has openings. I'm not sure what they are designed to do. I believe Thermaltake V9 touted these as helping to cool mobo from the back, but I doubt it's actually needed. If these are designed to help with the backplate installation for a heavy HSF, I'd much prefer a larger square opening.
IMG_8608.jpg

2. No more faux carbon fiber on top or bottom of the front panel. I wouldn't understand real carbon-fiber, but fake even less so. I like this change, especially given that the color of the plastic matches fairly well the color of the anodized aluminum.
IMG_8609.jpg

3. Contrary to what was reported earlier in the thread (or it may just be an unwelcome design change), removing Lian-Li badge is not going to be traceless. The area the badge is attached to is recessed as I tried to capture with the two pictures below.
IMG_8611.jpg
IMG_8610.jpg

3. Contrary to what was reported earlier in the thread (or it may just be an unwelcome design change), removing Lian-Li badge is not going to be traceless. The area the badge is attached to is recessed as I tried to capture with the two pictures below....

Yeah, that does suck. I found that out as well. ZGranted, the case was being powdercoated so it was filled in, but it does suck none-the-less for those going stealthed and badge-free.

Yeah, that does suck. I found that out as well. ZGranted, the case was being powdercoated so it was filled in, but it does suck none-the-less for those going stealthed and badge-free.

Yeah, something makes me think that it was Lian-Li's reaction to deliberate "de-branding" by some folks here and in other threads/forums. I guess what one can do is to shave some of the bezel such that it's nearly flush with the face plate and paint it to blend with the surrounding area ... it may actually be cool to do (imo), except for the fact that the recessed area is slightly bigger than the badge itself leaving for small cracks on the sides.

I don't understand yall's need/want to debadge anyways :( .......... I find lian-li awsome enough to advertise for ;)

I don't understand yall's need/want to debadge anyways :( .......... I find lian-li awsome enough to advertise for ;)

I really liked the old square badge, especially when placed in the middle of the 120mm fan grill, like on PC-7B. It was made of metal (unlike most other brands) and looked almost as if it were a medal / award of some kind. The new badge (even though mine is made of metal) looks too plasticky ... and the face of A05 is small enough, so the badge makes it look cluttered (imo). I'll probably just blacken it.

I lowered the voltage on the DB1 to help with the vibration with the Mcubed controller- less flow but temps did not increase

I hate that square badge with the squiggle circle thingie. I much prefer the new Lian Li badges. Does everyone else seem to prefer the older one?

So Dynamat works, although not visually charming (pic forthcoming) as it's silver and has big dynamat logo's everywhere. I just lined the bottom of the box, and the resulting resonant sounds are decreased quite a bit. Now the fans are starting to become noticeable.

So with some Petra's stuff, Noctua fans I think I might finally be happy!. Considering lining everything that has more than a couple of inches square that's flat with this Dynamat.

Update on the 360mm fan + A05:
the 360mm is actually much closer to 342mm measure diagonally from the mounts, the fan itself is actually a little under 12" wide. The mounts are 9" apart measure horizontally/vertically to the next closest mount. So I see no reason why it wont mount on this case's side panel. I shall begin the building later.

BUT (to Sojuuk) the there's less space on the side of the panel for mounting a fan than the dimensions of the panel imply. One has to "subtract" the outer (~1/2" wide) rectangle that corresponds to the area where the side panel covers the frame ... have you taken that into account?

BUT (to Sojuuk) the there's less space on the side of the panel for mounting a fan than the dimensions of the panel imply. One has to "subtract" the outer (~1/2" wide) rectangle that corresponds to the area where the side panel covers the frame ... have you taken that into account?

yes I have, I EXPECT there to be a little bit of space where I can't cut this should be minimal. Also I predicted a fan that was 14.17" in diameter so I had planned to have A LOT of uncut space, this is just slightly better news...... Unless you account for me paying for a 360mm fan and getting one closer to 320mm........:eek:

I would say I am fine with that though.

case + fan is here now:

ghfyjhshzr.jpg

as you might be able to see the frame+"filter/guard" is exactly the same height as the side panel, but nicely the screw mounts are shorter than the fan and meet almost exactly at the point where the mounting rails for the side-panel to case things. I would call this a perfect fit. I'll do the cuttin later tonight when my assistant arrives ;)

also: is there an easier way to remove/install a fan in the front? i had to remove that PSU mount thing and then wiggle the fan out after that. gotta be something easier!.

Before you buy Dynamat, you may want to consider its performance. I made the earlier post on silencing. I talked to acoustical surfaces and they were able to pick the best performing material for the frequency of noise you are likely to find in a computer.

Dynamat extreme (http://www.dynamat.com/technical_specs_dynamat_xtreme.html) is optimized to dampen car noise ~200Hz, which is a much lower frequency than fan noises. I used a two items. First I spray glued on their ACOUSTI-BOARD product ($15 per 2'x4' x 1/2" thick sheet) where I could on the side panels. Then I used their self adhesive Duct V-max ($10 per 15"x30" sheet) which is thin vinyl like stuff. I cut it to fit around the top, bottom, behind the faceplate, and on the side panels where the ACOUSTI-BOARD would have interfered with the interior. Other advantages, the ACOUSTI BOARD is optimized to balance sound dampening of vibration noise in the case and for sound dispersion of noise from interior components. The V-max is optimized for vibration noise. Compare the numbers one the Dynamat link to the below links. Look at the near 1000Hz noise performance, that is where the fans usually are with their rpms.

The combination of the two has made some surprising performance gains. It probably costs less than the Dynamat as well. Over to you, but consider it. It killed the noise on my ANTEC Earthwatts 500 fan, which points right into a Duct V-max layer on the underside of the faceplate.

Duct V-max: http://www.acousticalsurfaces.com/hvac/duct_vmax.htm?d=14
ACOUSTI-BOARD: http://www.acousticalsurfaces.com/echo_eliminator/sound_board.htm?d=0

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7657586@N03/3117491883/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7657586@N03/3118317310/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7657586@N03/3118317008/in/photostream/

... I'll do the cuttin later tonight when my assistant arrives ;)

also: is there an easier way to remove/install a fan in the front? i had to remove that PSU mount thing and then wiggle the fan out after that. gotta be something easier!.

You're moving fast!

As far as front fan removal -- there's no other way but to remove the PSU first .. unless you've made your HDD cage detachable.

@shakypete - thanks for the info, that's great. I'm sketching out a new case design, to build in wood & glass - specifically factoring in a silenced chamber for these components. I can see lining this chamber with acoustiboard/vmax.

That said I'm waiting for Petra's gel stuff to arrive, if that really does decouple the pump it would be fantastic.

If you're looking to add a couple of 2.5" HDDs into this case (or SSD RAID 0, anyone ?!) this might be an interesting accessory: link. I just found it curious that it's advertised with a Lian-Li case.

If you're looking to add a couple of 2.5" HDDs into this case (or SSD RAID 0, anyone ?!) this might be an interesting accessory: link. I just found it curious that it's advertised with a Lian-Li case.

Pricey, but awesome. Great for turning an A05 into an all purpose computer (media server + gamer).

I have been running this rig for two months now. I have a single slot EVGA Geforce 9600GT in it. Since I moved everything to this case, from an Antec case, the temp on this card has jumped. I normally run folding@home on it all day long, and previously at the same settings it would get up to 51-57C. I am now hovering close to 67C (65-69), and I dropped down the FAH settings to try and help, with little improvement.

I am guessing the heat is rising off the CPU cooler and affecting it, since the previous case was CPU side up, and the CPU was running 3 degrees hotter than it does now.

I was under the impression that unless I had an ATI 4870/4850, having my GPU at 67+C was not good. I bought the BS-03 fan to blow air over the GPU, and this has had little to no effect.

I am willing to reverse the BS-03 fan, if anyone has found that works better. I didn’t notice a difference one way or the other. I figured in reverse it would pull the hot air out of the upper portion of the case, but it has had little effect. In either configuration, when I disable FAH, temp drops to 59-60, and my box is dead silent, for what that's worth.

The GPU fan is set to auto mode, and it stays around 12% rpm. This leads me to believe I am not cooking the part, so I'm not terrified of that, but I do want to keep the card cooler, in general. At least I think I should want to.

I had an Accelero S2 (passive cooler) on the GPU, but I took it off, since it was having the same issue. I think it's great that it can keep it as cool as the stock fan. The problem is that when it was installed, I could not use the BS-03. So I had no ability to attempt to control temps.

Does anyone have a constructive suggestion?

By the way Cyberkost, that is pretty cool looking. I am going to think about that one.

This case' Achilles-heel is the heat pocket up top when running a GPU. You need to mod it to fix the problem. Cutting a hole and dropping a 120mm or two up top takes care of the problem.

That would do the job nicely.. But, I find it interesting. Does anyone have a GTX 260 / 280 that runs cool in this case? My XFX BLACK EDITION GTX 260 is, by nature, a highly overclocked factory card which seems to run nice and cool in this case:

IDLETEMPS36ghz.jpg

officermartinez,

Did you do anything special? What temp do you consider cool? Do you like being called officermartinez?

Just a little sarcasm... Great/funny username!

I am not interested in cutting any more holes on the top. I am considering a higher throughput case fan on the front side to suck more air through. I use Noctuas for the dB rating, I normally buy the 800 rpm versions, but I will upgrade to a higher speed fan, if anyone knows if that makes a difference.

Hi Guys,

May I know what size of rivets did you used on top panel? Planning to mod this coming weekends.

Battlestar

That would do the job nicely.. But, I find it interesting. Does anyone have a GTX 260 / 280 that runs cool in this case? My XFX BLACK EDITION GTX 260 is, by nature, a highly overclocked factory card which seems to run nice and cool in this case:

I'm guessing you're using relatively highspeed fans compared to the stock on everything, correct? Either that, or your ambient temps in the house/room are rather chilly! ;)

Hi Guys,

May I know what size of rivets did you used on top panel? Planning to mod this coming weekends.

Battlestar

I replaced the rivets with M4 size screws. This way I can pop the top panel off the computer whenever I want to work on anything instead of having to try to work on it from inside the case.

For the heat pocket cooling, how about an intake on the top and an exhaust on the side (about where BS-03 fan would be positioned)?... Something similar to what Ryle did here with the top fan a bit more toward the rear and the side one a tiny bit more toward the front. I think it might with "turbine" coolers with rear exhaust like on most higher-end video-cards AND on the mid-range ones that have radial fins on the heatsink. The idea is to hit the turbine fan/radial fins with cold outside air front the top fan and exhaust the excess with the side fan so as to create airflow in the top-rear without interfering with the rear-to-front airflow in the rst of the case.

I have been running this rig for two months now. I have a single slot EVGA Geforce 9600GT in it. Since I moved everything to this case, from an Antec case, the temp on this card has jumped. I normally run folding@home on it all day long, and previously at the same settings it would get up to 51-57C. I am now hovering close to 67C (65-69), and I dropped down the FAH settings to try and help, with little improvement.

I am guessing the heat is rising off the CPU cooler and affecting it, since the previous case was CPU side up, and the CPU was running 3 degrees hotter than it does now.

I was under the impression that unless I had an ATI 4870/4850, having my GPU at 67+C was not good. I bought the BS-03 fan to blow air over the GPU, and this has had little to no effect.

I am willing to reverse the BS-03 fan, if anyone has found that works better. I didn’t notice a difference one way or the other. I figured in reverse it would pull the hot air out of the upper portion of the case, but it has had little effect. In either configuration, when I disable FAH, temp drops to 59-60, and my box is dead silent, for what that's worth.

The GPU fan is set to auto mode, and it stays around 12% rpm. This leads me to believe I am not cooking the part, so I'm not terrified of that, but I do want to keep the card cooler, in general. At least I think I should want to.

I had an Accelero S2 (passive cooler) on the GPU, but I took it off, since it was having the same issue. I think it's great that it can keep it as cool as the stock fan. The problem is that when it was installed, I could not use the BS-03. So I had no ability to attempt to control temps.

Does anyone have a constructive suggestion?

By the way Cyberkost, that is pretty cool looking. I am going to think about that one.

Hmm, how are ambient temps? I have an EVGA 9600GT superclocked (and OC'ed on top of that) and it gets no higher than 68*C when folding with fans at 55%. I don't know what ambient is in my room though... so that's kinda iffy, but it's comfortable for me. I'm sure the card can take it just fine, but make sure it doesn't hit past 80.

Back