I no longer hate Sprint

-Dragon-

2[H]4U
I used to have sprint years ago back when they were widely known and reviled for their horrible customer service, and due to a few bad run ins myself and the itch for that shiny new iPhone 3G (no S) I switched to AT&T who was ranking much better in customer service at the time. Sprint service at my house was also fairly horrible but to be fair ALL cell service at my house is fairly horrible, AT&T gad 1 bar at best at my place the entire time I had them and Sprint normally went roaming onto verizions network, which was also 1 bar.

4 or 5 years later and AT&T has fallen big time both in customer satisfaction and the whole limited data thing while sprint has done a lot to clean up its image. That old iPhone 3G was getting quite long in the tooth so I decided to bite the bullet and head back to sprint. Obviously them being the only large carrier still offering actually unlimited plans had a lot to do with it, and I'll admit I found their easy to understand billing compared to Verizon and AT&T a bit refreshing (basically the price you see when you're adding it to your cart is the final price not including taxes, where with both Verizon and AT&T the initial price may seem lower but after you've gone halfway through the checkout process and they add on all the extra fees the real price is significantly higher). Add to that I live in one of their LTE markets making the decision even easier.

So I go to the store and walk out with unlimited data + everything else for 20% less than I'd have paid at either V or A, get home, and of course cell reception is still horrible as I mentioned before. I decide to break down and just order one of those femto-cells and fix the problem myself so I go online to the sprint store but can't find anywhere to buy one, which is odd because I knew I saw they came out with one several years back. After a bit of googling I found that the reason it's not on the store is because if you have reception problems at home you just call a special number and they'll review your situation and if they're convinced you have a deadspot they send you the femto cell for free*. I call that number and with minimal fuss they agree to send me one, it arrived today, plugged it in and can now make calls anywhere in the house and areas that used to be roaming 1 bar or just plain no signal now get 3-4 3G bars (it's a 3G femto-cell, doesn't do LTE but I have wireless n at home so who really cares).

So far I'm definitely not regretting my decision to switch, and I'd recommend anybody who had bad experiences in the past to re-evaluate. They definitely seem to have turned themselves around so far

*They did say that the femto-cell would count as another line of some sort on my bill and that ~3$/mo in taxes would need to be collected, but I can't really hold it against sprint if the government is the one adding the fees. I'd assume even if I bought my own on another carrier similar fees would apply there as well

Yeah, sprint rocks. 300 bucks for a family plan with 5 users all with 4g and unlimited data. service is a bit spotty in some areas, but that should be resolved soon.
also 50 bucks for a GSIII I can't complain about that.

Customer service in my experience has been good most of the time.
A few years back I had issues with my rebates, but that all got squared away.

what is the number? I didnt know it was a 3g thing thats cool sometimes i am roaming in my own house. i dont lose complete reception tho unless they are working on the tower by me.

So how does adding more money onto your bill, and having to use another device in order to get coverage equate to Sprint being awesome in your book?

T-Mobile I just walk around wherever, and drive around wherever. The 4g sucks balls, but I use less than a gig per month.

But my point still stands. Not trolling, not baiting.....just trying to understand.

what is the number? I didnt know it was a 3g thing thats cool sometimes i am roaming in my own house. i dont lose complete reception tho unless they are working on the tower by me.

Before calling, be advised. They will find out where you live and they can see how well coverage you have at your house. Or rather, the address listed on your bill.

They will not give it to you for free if they see you're right around the corner from a tower. Or if their maps show you should have full coverage. I have tried this already. They were willing to sell me the adapter for 200 dollars though.

I used sprint for about 4 years before finally being fed up with the poor coverage. I had also paid for 4g service for most of the time (since the Evo 4g was released) and only within the last year they finally put up two towers in my home city (fairly large city, 300k pop). However, the towers were in the outskirts of town on opposite sides, so there was no 4g service in the main part of the actual city.

Can't complain about price or customer service, however. Those were both great!

I've had sprint for a family plan for some years, and they're generally ok.

I originally liked them because unlimited night hours started at 7pm. But over time that became irrelevant since minutes got much cheaper.

I have no smartphones on this plan (yeah bitches i don't have a smartphone yet! :eek:), but phone coverage and quality has been always great (D.C. metro region)

However I've become obsessed with getting a WP8 and Sprint for some reason does not carry them, so I'm going to switch to Verizon or T-Mobile. Yep. Zero Loyalty.

Also, my current plan has 1500 minutes, unlimited text, for 3 lines. No data. It costs $130/month. That to me sounds too high when other people are getting $50 prepaids with unlimited everything.

I've been using Sprint for at least a decade and while I'll concede their cell service is pretty weak I've been pleased with them overall. One cool thing about Sprint is that you can fully integrate your Google Voice account with the Sprint service. So now all my texts and voicemails come through GVoice. I recently found GrooveIP (free and paid versions on the App Store) that allows me to use my wifi connection to make calls through my Google Voice account/number. Oh and calling over wifi doesn't use phone minutes so I'm actually going to scale back the minutes I pay for each month. Basically it's awesome.

With that said something needs to give with their 3G/4G madness. It's ridiculous that almost the entirety of my state is still 3G and not expecting 4G for at least another year. 3G is bullshit slow so keep that in mind when they try to hook with you "unlimited data".

http://now.sprint.com/airave/?id16=airave

So how does adding more money onto your bill, and having to use another device in order to get coverage equate to Sprint being awesome in your book?

T-Mobile I just walk around wherever, and drive around wherever. The 4g sucks balls, but I use less than a gig per month.

But my point still stands. Not trolling, not baiting.....just trying to understand.
ALL cell reception at my house is and has always been garbage even though it's fine from the road. At best I get 1 bar in most of the house from any carrier, sprint will roam to verizon (which would also be 1 bar), but at&t would rarely roam and since if it did roam it would roam to t-mobile then that means that the t-mobile signal was weaker than at&t's. And that's 1 bar non-call signal, calls dropped in over half of the house, the only place I could reliably make calls prior to the femtocell was on the north or east sides of the house near a window and only on speaker phone, putting the phone to your head causes the call to drop. A few extra bucks a month means I can actually use my cell phones at home now and drop the landline which will save like 10x what the femtocell costs a month. Also sprint isn't charging for the cell, the government is.

Before calling, be advised. They will find out where you live and they can see how well coverage you have at your house. Or rather, the address listed on your bill.

They will not give it to you for free if they see you're right around the corner from a tower. Or if their maps show you should have full coverage. I have tried this already. They were willing to sell me the adapter for 200 dollars though.
They didn't give me any problems and I show to be in a "full coverage" area, hell at the end of my driveway I get 3 LTE bars, and the driveway is only maybe 50ft long. Maybe it helped that I called from my house roaming with poor signal on verizon, it would be fairly trivial for the cell company to check GPS coords and signal strength, and if it was at your address of record and the signal was bad, hook you up. The only "convincing" I had to do when they said "well it looks like the signal in your area should be good" was say "yeah it should be and is outside my house but inside it sucks". All they said after that was "ok well it should be at your house next monday" (it arrived the friday before). The link above even states they shouldn't give you too much grief about it: "It's not your fault if you have a giant cement wall standing between you and your perfectly dependable wireless coverage."

One further thing is whoever made this thing for them did it right. I heard horror stories about the original airave, either having to put it in front of your router or having to put it in the DMZ or having to forward a half dozen SIP and telephony related ports. Like many here I don't use a consumer grade router and don't really have anything that could be called a "DMZ", and I'm playing around with a few SIP and telephony services so putting it in front of the gateway or blanket forwarding all SIP and VoIP ports to it was straight out too. Honestly I was really not looking forward to setting it up. When it showed up I stuck it near a window for GPS and hooked it up to the network and fired up my firewall logs to watch for blocked connections from it and waited. After about 10 minutes of the firewall reporting nothing wrong I check the airave and all the lights were green, it said it was connected. I try making a call to see if something would be blocked during a call, and it worked perfectly. Apparently instead of the undesirable configuration of placing it in front of the router and the horror of asking normal people to try to configure router settings they just had it make an IPsec connection to the remote server and all the data went through that, no configuration required on the users end, literally plug and play (unless you block IPsec out).

Also, my current plan has 1500 minutes, unlimited text, for 3 lines. No data. It costs $130/month. That to me sounds too high when other people are getting $50 prepaids with unlimited everything.

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't prepaids per-line? I can't say I've ever heard of a pre-paid family plan offhand. So that $50 becomes 3 * $50 which is $20 more than you're paying now, and you probably have unlimited mobile to mobile and unlimited nights and weekends if you have sprint, so that 1500 minutes is just for calling landlines and businesses during the day. Do you really call landlines and businesses anywhere near 1500 a month?

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't prepaids per-line? I can't say I've ever heard of a pre-paid family plan offhand. So that $50 becomes 3 * $50 which is $20 more than you're paying now, and you probably have unlimited mobile to mobile and unlimited nights and weekends if you have sprint, so that 1500 minutes is just for calling landlines and businesses during the day. Do you really call landlines and businesses anywhere near 1500 a month?

I wish there were family plans available with less minutes for less money. who needs 1500 minutes now?

Prepaids also include data. 2GB or so for the cheap plans. To get data on the family plan i would have to shell out at least another $30/month. Family plans are just not great deals. With talk minutes becoming more and more irrelevant, the data plans cost pretty much the same between family and individual plans.

One good thing sprint offers for families is the family locator. I never signed up for it, but if the promo materials are correct, it should work with any smartphone, and you can check the location from your PC. The other carriers usually do family locator through 3rd party apps which only work on certain phones, if they have family locator services at all.

I had a completely different experience with Sprint and I hope the entire company goes bankrupt. I had terrible service in my old apartment (as well as everywhere else:p), but when I called them about it they told me their records showed I had "96%" quality of service. I can't begin to describe how infuriating it was to be told my service is excellent when I was unable to place calls in my home and unable to do anything involving data while driving. :rolleyes:

I ended up roaming on Verizon until Sprint fired me and waived the ETF.

I have since purchased a Google Nexus and I pay $50/month for unlimited talk, text, and data with Straight Talk. My voice service is more consistent, I rarely drop calls, data speeds are easily 10X faster, AND I can use voice and data at the same time.

http://now.sprint.com/airave/?id16=airave

ALL cell reception at my house is and has always been garbage even though it's fine from the road. At best I get 1 bar in most of the house from any carrier, sprint will roam to verizon (which would also be 1 bar), but at&t would rarely roam and since if it did roam it would roam to t-mobile then that means that the t-mobile signal was weaker than at&t's. And that's 1 bar non-call signal, calls dropped in over half of the house, the only place I could reliably make calls prior to the femtocell was on the north or east sides of the house near a window and only on speaker phone, putting the phone to your head causes the call to drop. A few extra bucks a month means I can actually use my cell phones at home now and drop the landline which will save like 10x what the femtocell costs a month. Also sprint isn't charging for the cell, the government is.

They didn't give me any problems and I show to be in a "full coverage" area, hell at the end of my driveway I get 3 LTE bars, and the driveway is only maybe 50ft long. Maybe it helped that I called from my house roaming with poor signal on verizon, it would be fairly trivial for the cell company to check GPS coords and signal strength, and if it was at your address of record and the signal was bad, hook you up. The only "convincing" I had to do when they said "well it looks like the signal in your area should be good" was say "yeah it should be and is outside my house but inside it sucks". All they said after that was "ok well it should be at your house next monday" (it arrived the friday before). The link above even states they shouldn't give you too much grief about it: "It's not your fault if you have a giant cement wall standing between you and your perfectly dependable wireless coverage."

One further thing is whoever made this thing for them did it right. I heard horror stories about the original airave, either having to put it in front of your router or having to put it in the DMZ or having to forward a half dozen SIP and telephony related ports. Like many here I don't use a consumer grade router and don't really have anything that could be called a "DMZ", and I'm playing around with a few SIP and telephony services so putting it in front of the gateway or blanket forwarding all SIP and VoIP ports to it was straight out too. Honestly I was really not looking forward to setting it up. When it showed up I stuck it near a window for GPS and hooked it up to the network and fired up my firewall logs to watch for blocked connections from it and waited. After about 10 minutes of the firewall reporting nothing wrong I check the airave and all the lights were green, it said it was connected. I try making a call to see if something would be blocked during a call, and it worked perfectly. Apparently instead of the undesirable configuration of placing it in front of the router and the horror of asking normal people to try to configure router settings they just had it make an IPsec connection to the remote server and all the data went through that, no configuration required on the users end, literally plug and play (unless you block IPsec out).

If you don't use your phone a lot, Straight Talk has 1000 minutes, 1000 texts for $30/month.
https://www.straighttalk.com/secure/ServicePlans

I wish there were family plans available with less minutes for less money. who needs 1500 minutes now?

Last edited:
I'm hoping Sprint will have LTE in my area by the time my contract is up with Verizon this time next year. If I can't coerce Verizon to let me keep my unlimited data plan, I'm definitely going to switch over to Sprint. I might do it anyways just because Sprint has been much better on their OTA updates than the other carriers, even including the GSM carriers like T-Mobile and AT&T, which is surprising since there's not much difference between T-Mobile's phones and the international variants on most of the phones.

which is surprising since there's not much difference between T-Mobile's phones and the international variants on most of the phones.

AT&T devices are generally closer to international variants all t-mobile phones require UMTS band IV (AWS). They are the only major carrier in the world to use the band.

I had a completely different experience with Sprint and I hope the entire company goes bankrupt.

Sorry to hear about yout experience, but I sincerely doubt Sprint going bankrupt will happen with the whole Softbank deal. I've been with Sprint for 10 years and agree that their service can be meh, but I'm only paying $50/Month for unlimited everything and I've been force roaming on Verizon for the past 5 years. Changing the PRL to Verizon is a pretty easy thing to do, and I'd urge anyone who isn't going to abuse their data (over 5GB a month) to do the same.

They gave me an airave free and I am 2 blocks from a tower. The femtocell is something more carriers just need to get onto, or allow people to make calls over wifi. Silly they dont do this and offload the network.

I have been with sprint since 2004 I think look customer service and so on has improved but the reality is they are slow to move, took them forever to do anything and they often make really bad mistakes. Nextel, wimax, iphone deal etc... EAch time they do this it sets them back 2-4 years. The good news is because they are so far behind they have to offer good prices. And really I only care that I get service I dont make a big deal about the speed. I really hope the softbank deal sets them strait.

Sprint totally missed the boat and doesnt understand any trend. With the exception of the evo / epic 4g days every new emerging smart phone trend has seen sprint sit it out for at least a year I would say. And ya happened again with the galaxy note, they dont have a windows 8 phone and who knows when they will get one. They remind me alot of best buy where they stock a ton of stuff that is really similar and totally miss the obvious diversity items. Oh and they love the bloatware.

But at the end of the day cheapest plan and it works so I deal with it. $240 for 4 person family plan includes everything even insurance.

Changing the PRL to Verizon is a pretty easy thing to do, and I'd urge anyone who isn't going to abuse their data (over 5GB a month) to do the same.

i'm curious about this, as sprints service in this area is getting worse and worse, simply as the Verizon towers start to fill more and more. got any links explaining how?

I have been with sprint since 2004 I think look customer service and so on has improved but the reality is they are slow to move, took them forever to do anything and they often make really bad mistakes. Nextel, wimax, iphone deal etc... EAch time they do this it sets them back 2-4 years.

Sprint was in big trouble without the iPhone deal. They were losing more customers than any other carrier each quarter. Now they seem to be holding ground and those iPhone users turn into profit after the first 8 months or so.

i'm curious about this, as sprints service in this area is getting worse and worse, simply as the Verizon towers start to fill more and more. got any links explaining how?

You just change the PRL. On most phones you'll need your MSL, but it's so easy with the Note II ( I use 00002) - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1957805

If you have something other than the GNII, PM me with which device you have and I'll find the solution for yours :)

Back