I think my 8800gts is shutting off my monitor

Sanctuary

Weaksauce
I just put together a new system last night, and now, each time I reset my computer (say Windows has to restart after installing something), my monitor always shuts off for 2 seconds and then comes back on. This is NOT good on an already old monitor (8 year old CRT). The only thing that has changed that I can think of that would be causing this is a) the video card powering off completely after a reset or b) some strange bios setting (Evga 680i) that I cannot discover.

Any ideas what is going on and how to fix this? Thanks.

A new rig calls for new changes. If it's two seconds and consistent I'd go ahead and assume that's how it's going to be. The motherboard may be asking for video input two seconds later than what you're used to.

It sounds like the card itself is shutting off, as I hear the fans stop and a "click", then the fan comes back on (along with the monitor) once the post screen happens. This doesn't sound like something that should be happening at all.

My asus a8n sli board does the same thing....i dont think its your video card, i think its your mobo....when the system is rebooting it is essentially powering everything off completely for a few seconds to ensure that everything is cleared out.....so while you may not like it, the process is fairly common....shouldnt hurt your monitor but then again even if it does it gives you a good reason to go up to a nice new flat panel :D

Even my 7900GS does that. It's normal. When you reset, the mobo dumps everything, completely resets, dropping all power and then re delivering.

shouldnt hurt your monitor but then again even if it does it gives you a good reason to go up to a nice new flat panel

I suppose as long as I'm not having to reset the system every couple of minutes or hours it won't "kill" the monitor, but it's getting up there in years, and no, I'm not ready for a flat panel. I had an Acer 24 inch back in September that I returned after only a week. I could not stand the input lag and the dithering. I was considering getting an NEC when they come out with a 24 inch glossy, but that's not out yet.

Back