I think my PS3 is about dead:(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azureth

Supreme [H]ardness
Lately I've been getting some pretty bad graphical glitches. The thing that sucks is this is an early 40 gig model; got it right around its launch, so if I have to get a new one it won't have PS2 support.

Could be a bad harddrive...you might try swapping for another one and see if that makes any difference. Graphical glitches sound like something else though..

Is the warranty seal intact? Most repairs via Sony are $150 if your warranty seal has not been tampered with.

With that you should get an equivalent model PS3 refurb in return.

Well be glad you don't own a 360 because you would of replaced it a few times by now instead of just once :rolleyes:

Well be glad you don't own a 360 because you would of replaced it a few times by now instead of just once :rolleyes:
Does it feel good to be a Sony fanboy? Does someone over there at least send you money for shilling for them?

As for the OP, if you send it back to Sony to get fixed, they'll send you the same version back.

Does it feel good to be a Sony fanboy? Does someone over there at least send you money for shilling for them?

As for the OP, if you send it back to Sony to get fixed, they'll send you the same version back.

I don't know if that's a fanboy statement I'm on my launch 60gig and I'm on my 6th 360:p

I don't know if that's a fanboy statement I'm on my launch 60gig and I'm on my 6th 360:p

It's a fanboy statement, because this post topic has nothing to do with the 360, and yet he came out just to bash it.

As for the topic at hand, You might try what the other person said about the harddrive. Unless you aren't even running from the HDD. Then I can't say I have any clue, aside from the fact that it really might be dying.

Considering the crap people go through to keep their stupid "Live" and "Gamer Score", yeah it does feel good. Millions of people go through handful of systems not even willing to try the competition that provides better hardware and better exclusive games. It makes me sick what 360 'fanboys' will deal with just to keep their stupid system.

:cool:

It's a fanboy statement, because this post topic has nothing to do with the 360, and yet he came out just to bash it.
It doesn't take much to make fun of the 360. It pretty much fails itself.

I never said you had to have a brain to make fun of something. But it wasn't even mentioned. A person comes in, bashes it, gives no good input on the topic at hand...

Obviously he's got a hard on for ps3, or else he wouldn't have come in just to insult the 360.

Okay guys......we get it, 360's break, just like PS2's used to get disc read errors all the time.

OP, do you not still have a PS2? I have my original 60GB model and it's been running wonderfully, but honestly I can't remember the last time I played a PS2 game on it. I guess it's one of those "nice to know I have it" things. Don't get too hung up on it and just get it fixed and get back to playing PS3 games.

I never said you had to have a brain to make fun of something. But it wasn't even mentioned. A person comes in, bashes it, gives no good input on the topic at hand...

Obviously he's got a hard on for ps3, or else he wouldn't have come in just to insult the 360.
I never said I didn't. You should check out the thread of the guy who's Elite RRoD on him after 10 hours. :rolleyes: I'll leave you 360 boys alone for a while now, sorry I had to be such a punk ;)

Okay guys......we get it, 360's break, just like PS2's used to get disc read errors all the time.

Yep I went through 4 Ps2's all due to disk read errors

I never said I didn't. You should check out the thread of the guy who's Elite RRoD on him after 10 hours. :rolleyes: I'll leave you 360 boys alone for a while now, sorry I had to be such a punk ;)

The console was clearly defect from the start, whats your point exactly plenty of people have had Hardware issues with the early 60 Gig models of the ps3.

Considering the crap people go through to keep their stupid "Live" and "Gamer Score", yeah it does feel good. Millions of people go through handful of systems not even willing to try the competition that provides better hardware and better exclusive games. It makes me sick what 360 'fanboys' will deal with just to keep their stupid system.

It makes you sick? Dang bro, you take this whole "console war" a little too seriously. Let people buy what they want. Personally I prefer the 360 for it's exclusives, aka Gears and Halo. I know a good amount of people that had issues with their PS3's, so don't get a hard-on because you believe yourself to be a self-righteous presenter of the "truth." There was no place for your 360 bashing comments in this thread anyway.

FYI, I am no fanboy either. I will play either system, I don't care who makes the dang thing.

Yeah, gamerscore is so lame. Trophies on the other hand... And Live is so stupid. PSN on the other hand...

Seriously, I agree with the other guy. Are you at least getting paid?

OP did you ever call Sony to get it replaced? Since you have the 40 GB, they may replace it with the same model. Couldn't hurt to ask.

If you decide that you want to send it in to Sony and pay the $150+tax to get it repaired, the will most likely send you a refurb unit. However, you will get back what ever you sent in. If you send in a 60GB unit with BC, then you will get the same back even though its another unit. I suggest backing up your date to an external hard drive so that when you get the refurb back to you, you can just do a restore.

Otherwise, you can go another route as graphical glitches are caused by a bad RSX solder to the motherboard. Google up "YLOD fix". There should be some tutorials on how to open up your PS3 and taking it apart. You will need a heat gun to heat up the RSX to reflow the joints.

Also, there are ebay sellers out there that does the fix also. JD electronics is one of them. You pay them at the auction and you send him the unit and he will fix it for $100. You will get your same system back and turnaround time is pretty fast.

If you decide that you want to send it in to Sony and pay the $150+tax to get it repaired, the will most likely send you a refurb unit. However, you will get back what ever you sent in. If you send in a 60GB unit with BC, then you will get the same back even though its another unit. I suggest backing up your date to an external hard drive so that when you get the refurb back to you, you can just do a restore.

Otherwise, you can go another route as graphical glitches are caused by a bad RSX solder to the motherboard. Google up "YLOD fix". There should be some tutorials on how to open up your PS3 and taking it apart. You will need a heat gun to heat up the RSX to reflow the joints.

Also, there are ebay sellers out there that does the fix also. JD electronics is one of them. You pay them at the auction and you send him the unit and he will fix it for $100. You will get your same system back and turnaround time is pretty fast.

I might do that, just how easy is it to back stuff up? Do I just plug into my Ext HD and select "backup" or something?

Yep, make sure it's formatted to Fat32, and the backup utility is in your System Settings. Make sure you sync your trophies first by just viewing them.

man just get out already........but since you want to pick on the 360 you forgot to mention that MS only charges $100 to fix your console where as sony is charging you an extra $50............

OP when you send it in, they will send the same unit back most of the time or another unit that has the same specs......I would remove your hdd though......

I'm having some issues backing it up. I am using my WD 500 gig external HD. When I formatted my HD the only options were NTFS and exfat. I used exfat but when I try to backup it doesn't detect my HD.

I'm having some issues backing it up. I am using my WD 500 gig external HD. When I formatted my HD the only options were NTFS and exfat. I used exfat but when I try to backup it doesn't detect my HD.

Vista limits FAT32 partitions to 32 GB in size. If that isn't large enough for your PS3 backup you'll have to format your drive on an XP machine or use a third party program. Exfat doesn't work on the PS3 unfortunately.

So how can I format my ext HD to fat32? And will this also backup my PS1/PS2 saves?

Yeah, gamerscore is so lame. Trophies on the other hand... And Live is so stupid. PSN on the other hand...

Seriously, I agree with the other guy. Are you at least getting paid?
If you went through a handful of EVGA graphics cards would you keep buying EVGA? No, so why do people do it with 360?

It's obviously not that the hardware is better quality
It's not that the games are better (meta critical drastically disagrees; don't bring the wii into this)
It can't be the cost because for as much as people spend on games, $100 more for the system considering you get the wireless and free online is worth it

The only thing left is gamer score and live :rolleyes:

How much do you guys get paid to put up with the BS of one of the biggest hardware failure rates in the history of console gaming?

So how can I format my ext HD to fat32? And will this also backup my PS1/PS2 saves?

there is a piece of software called swissknife that will do what you ask. i did it to format a 120gb laptop drive so i can watch avi/mpeg movies on the 360.

however from previous experience the software doesnt like vista much, so YMMV

Ughh...Well, since I really don't have much as far as videos/photos etc, I may just switch my HD and re-download the few games I have.

BTW, what exactly does the HD have to do with me getting graphical issues? Any 2.5" SATA HD will work, correct? What's the max size the PS3 accepts?

BTW, what exactly does the HD have to do with me getting graphical issues? Any 2.5" SATA HD will work, correct? What's the max size the PS3 accepts?

I don't really think the HDD is the issue, but it's something you can quickly try before sending it back so I guess that's why it was suggested. I'm not sure if there is a size max, if there is they don't build 2.5" HDD that large yet.

OP when you send it in, they will send the same unit back most of the time or another unit that has the same specs......I would remove your hdd though......

If you dont get the same unit back, when you insert the hard drive, it will ask to reformat it. So I wouldn't remove the hard drive cause its pointless if you don't get the same unit back. If you read other forums, people are getting a different unit back.

I don't really think the HDD is the issue, but it's something you can quickly try before sending it back so I guess that's why it was suggested. I'm not sure if there is a size max, if there is they don't build 2.5" HDD that large yet.

Theres been people where the issue with video out WAS the HDD. When they replaced it with another one, video magically works. From what I've read, it may have something to do with corrupted data on the HDD that prevents video output, which doesn't really makes sense since you would think that all of this data is stored in memory that keeps the OS also. (OS is not stored in the HDD)

derail2.jpg

OP what did you do? Also when call up to ask about the repair, see what the warranty terms for the console are. MS gives 1 year warranty for all repaired console and I am sure Sony would do the same but I would definately ask

my PS3 has small glitches as well, but it was due to cooling on mine
You might want to, if you havent already, buy the nyko cooler you can attach to the back, or there is a cooler made by inTech that goes right on the front, covers over alot of your stuff in the front, but works good in my view (I have the InTech).

When I started to use mine, I havent had a single glitch since.

*edit* They both add x2 - x3 more noise to the PS3 by the way!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back