I think my video card took a dump. Artifacting like crazy

t0x1k

Gawd
Evga GTx260 896mb
I was just playing burnout paradise when all of a sudden the screen froze, went blank and came back on with tons of artifacts, I quickly saved and closed it and check the temps, it was at 74c and the fan wasn't even blowing.
I'm getting artifacting in windows badly right now this page looks like the star field screen saver. I had problems a while ago with locking up in GTAv but never any other game.

Please tell me I'm not screwed. I can't afford a new card and this one isn't that old.

Why is the fan not blowing? Try turning it off, and then turning it back on and making sure you set the fan to default. Sometimes they freeze and the fan actually stops spinning, it's a bug with some proggies.

The fan has never sped up when under a load. It's always spun very slow, only when I set it to a certain speed does it change.

A reboot seems to have fixed it. I dodged a bullet with that one. I mean tax time is here but I also just had an accident so it's new truck vs new computer parts and I can't walk to work.
But still doesn't explain why the fan does't throttle up when it's on auto, I mean 74c is like surface of the sun hot.

See if there's a newer BIOS available for the card if you have an early variant. Might fix the fan speed bug.

I just had to laugh at the thread title. Anyways, not sure about the fan. My 4670 never seems to have the fan on, but it's a non-issue for me because the hottest it ever gets is maybe 42 degrees Celsius.

Back