I wish death upon this system!

YARDofSTUF

[H]ard|Gawd
:mad:

P4 2.6C w/Scythe ninja cooler
Gigabyte GA-8IPE100-G Rev 4
Various RAM, Crucial Ballistix 512 meg sticks, Kingmax 256 meg sticks, Centon 256 meg sticks
2x WD 37 gig raptors
CD rom and a floppy
Antec true 430watt PSU

Windows 2000 SBS

One day I woke up to "beepbeepbeepbeep..." endless, no pause, so I lowered the CPU frequency to stock(was OCing it to 3.2) and that did nothing. I was runnign 2 sticks of ballistix then and so I took one out and it was fine for a few days, then the beeps came back, switched ram again and it was fine for a while, maybe 2 weeks, and now its back to the beeps.

Guess I'm gonna swap out the PSU now but I have no clue what the problem is. I'm still kinda thinking its memory, its all memory I got for other systems, but I dont wanna waste cash on memory if thats not it, I'm unemployed right now so I want to be sure before throwing any money at it.

The system had been working fine for a while. And ya I know its not a good setup for a server box, its for home for tinkering with, just folds, was doing DNS and DHCP.

Any thoughts?

My ASUS P5B-VM does the same thing when there's no ram in it. It seems to have problems detecting ram. You're on the right track.

If your Mobo's dusty, then maybe try canned air in the dimms or clean off the ram contacts on the ram but be careful. That or it could be some sort of PSU problem.

try cleaning the ram contacts with a NEW soft pencil eraser. Dont use one that has been used before. I'm talking mint Ticonderoga. works for me, i do it all the time at work.

Blew on the slots a little, no canned air or fresh erasers, trying a generic HP 128 meg stick now, 128 megs is so NOT enough ram lol

The sucky part about this is that it could take weeks to figure out if its bad.

Alright, looks like I might be good, I tried the canned air thing and eraser and that didnt help, I'm surprised cuz the ram is for the 875 chipset, figured it would run fine on the 865.

But I've got 512 megs of generic stuff running in there and its been fine. Hopefully it stays that way.

Back