i7 920 retail or OEM?

Luca1

Limp Gawd
I am 2 days off buying my i7 920.. chyeah.. thats right.. I AM fking excited

Read somewhere that there a difference between OEM and retail 920's.. Is this correct?

What the difference and how do I tell which is which when purchasing?

I tried a search for i7, 920 and retail but as you can imagine there were thousands of threads and I can't find which one I read this in..

Any thing else I need to watch out for when buying 920?

Thanks
:Luca

Read somewhere that there a difference between OEM and retail 920's.. Is this correct?

What the difference and how do I tell which is which when purchasing?

Retail includes a Heatsink and Fan and comes in a fancy box. OEM has no heatsink or fan and usually comes in a small plastic case with no branding. I don't see any OEM i7s on Newegg though...where do you see OEM 920s for sale?

Why do you assume he's buying from newegg? Fry's carries OEM cpus, at B&M at least.

Retail = 3 year warranty

OEM = 30 days warranty

I never had a problem with an OEM CPU though. CPUs are hard to kill.

Retail includes a Heatsink and Fan and comes in a fancy box. OEM has no heatsink or fan and usually comes in a small plastic case with no branding. I don't see any OEM i7s on Newegg though...where do you see OEM 920s for sale?

Thanks man that helps :) I remember I wanted to buy a retail (though can't remember WHY.. hence this thread) but I just didn't know how I would tell them apart..

Newegg is the most popular US etailer I know of. Note that I asked where he was seeing it, you don't need to be so hostile :)

Ah ha! Your assumption has mislead you young padawan :) I live in Australia and New Egg does not dispatch its drones in this hemisphere :) I sense the force is very strong in you though.. you must come to the dark si... *ahem*

uh.. yeah.. I buying a i7920 here in Australia tomorrow after work. I think I read somewhere that the OEM version has a locked multiplier?.. or something else that would discerne it from a retail version.. I just can't pluddy remember.. aaaaahh! Doing my head in..

Newegg is the most popular US etailer I know of. Note that I asked where he was seeing it, you don't need to be so hostile :)

Not hostile, just pointing out a wrong assumption, which is confirmed by OP :D I just forgot the smiley lol :D

I sense the force is very strong in you though.. you must come to the dark si... *ahem*

Coincidentally, I'm in a team called Dark Side Racing for the racing simulator Live For Speed. The name isn't related to Star Wars though... :p

Good luck with the build.

Not hostile, just pointing out a wrong assumption, which is confirmed by OP :D I just forgot the smiley lol :D

I misread the language as American. These Aussies should properly identify themselves when they post. Tell us to throw another shrimp on the barby or open another tinny of Fosters, something like that...

These Aussies should properly identify themselves when they post. Tell us to throw another shrimp on the barby or open another tinny of Fosters, something like that...

Bwahahaaa!! I'm Kiwi my friend :) I just live in Australia.. Seen 'Deathproof' by Tarantino?.. Never... ever.. call a Kiwi an Aussie ;)

Got everything now except soundcard.. trying to decide.. might go to soundcard section.

Thanks for all your help people. I be in touch with pics of my new rig and questions on how to overclock the thing to hell and back ;)

Peace!

I remember reading that RETAIL i7 920s are coming with unlocked mem and qpi bus multipliers were oem cpus are locked

there is a good reason to buy a retail cpu :p

my current i7 920 retail chip can run any mem speed

I just base it on price. OEM chip are usually only $10-15 (at least in my shopping experience) less than retail and you don't get a fan. So if your going to OC it's worth it to save the cash to grab the better heat sink.

Retail = 3 year warranty

OEM = 30 days warranty

I never had a problem with an OEM CPU though. CPUs are hard to kill.

I lol'd! :D

OP - it's a bit like stock HSF + more peace of mind with retail and no HSF and less peace of mind with OEM.

Hey thanks

I picked up a retail version and a v8 cooler to bolt to it :)

For the small price difference (when it comes to a CPU) I figured the retail version was the way to go :)

I remember reading that RETAIL i7 920s are coming with unlocked mem and qpi bus multipliers were oem cpus are locked

there is a good reason to buy a retail cpu :p

my current i7 920 retail chip can run any mem speed

Didn't realize there was a difference between the retail and OEM's.... either way.... I can run 1600 memory and my QPI is currently @ 6.84GHz :p

Back