IB CPUs for S1155 Run Quad Channel?

So I just read through this whole thread for the first time and I must admit it was pretty funny.

My guess is SonDa5 is just trolling for kicks.

My guess is SonDa5 is just trolling for kicks.

Not at all. One of the responses of this thread stated that they had first hand knowledge from Intel how exactly the IB architecture translates over to different chipsets in regards to how exactly quad channel works in IB. Be great if some of this knowledge would be shared. More than just a "It won't work. Stop asking questions" type of response.

Just trying to figure out what exactly makes the IB CPU run quad channel ddr3 on the X79 while the same chip will not do it on the Z68. I have looked at the DIM slots on the x79 and they don't look any different to me.

Here is X79 MB that runs quad channel with SB-E and future IB. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130623
It only has 4 memory DDR3 DIM slots and apart from being on opposite sides of the CPU socket the pins on the back of the dim slots look the same as the z68.

Not trolling just trying to understand what makes IB quad channel ram work. All that I have read from Intel is that IB Integrated Memory Controller can do quad channel ram and that IB is backwards compatible with a number of different chipsets.

Just trying to figure out what exactly makes the IB CPU run quad channel ddr3 on the X79 while the same chip will not do it on the Z68.
Because it's not the same chip. Ivy Bridge-E and Ivy Bridge are very different. Ivy Bridge uses the LGA1155 socket, has up to four cores, has a dual-channel memory controller, a built-in GPU, and a certain number of PCI-E slots. Ivy Bridge-E uses the LGA2011 socket, has up to eight cores, has a four-channel memory controller, has no IGP, and has more PCI-E slots.

Not at all. One of the responses of this thread stated that they had first hand knowledge from Intel how exactly the IB architecture translates over to different chipsets in regards to how exactly quad channel works in IB. Be great if some of this knowledge would be shared. More than just a "It won't work. Stop asking questions" type of response.

Just trying to figure out what exactly makes the IB CPU run quad channel ddr3 on the X79 while the same chip will not do it on the Z68. I have looked at the DIM slots on the x79 and they don't look any different to me.

Here is X79 MB that runs quad channel with SB-E and future IB. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130623
It only has 4 memory DDR3 DIM slots and apart from being on opposite sides of the CPU socket the pins on the back of the dim slots look the same as the z68.

Not trolling just trying to understand what makes IB quad channel ram work. All that I have read from Intel is that IB Integrated Memory Controller can do quad channel ram and that IB is backwards compatible with a number of different chipsets.

And I gave you the a reason why. What part of LGA 1155 is PHYSICALLY INCAPABLE OF SUPPORTING QUAD CHANNEL do you not get?

Edit: It also sounds like you're confusing IB with the rumored IB-E. IB is designed solely for 1155. IB-E is what will be going into 2011, not IB. Two very different processors based on the same architecture. It's like the difference between the i7 920 and i7 860.

uuuh it's already been answered why it won't work...there are simply not enough pins to support quad channel...triple channel already exists with lga1366 why don't you think sandy bridge can't support triple channel if previous generation i7s could support it? :rolleyes:

there are no differences among the actual dimm slots of a dual channel lga1155, lga1156, lga1366 and lga2011; the difference is the cpu socket

People have already answered this multiple times but ill add another.

Since the boards for socket 1155 are only wired for Dual Channel that means the processors will only support dual channel ram.

If you want quad channel ram you have to pay the premium and get the server grade X79 chipset with socket 2011 processor.

Ivy Bridge is socket 1155 so Dual Chan.
Ivy Bridge E (if and when) will be socket 2011 and support quad channel.

I'm not hell bent on getting quad channel. IB CPU for S1155 should have some nice memory performance in dual channel.

I'm just stating the facts. I haven't seen any official Intel documentation that states quad channel will not work on S1155 with the IB cpu.

Holy shit!!! Seriously, that is all I am going to say...

LOL this has to be one of the best troll threads I have seen around here.

but in case it is not:
1. 1155 pins is not enough pins for quad channel
2. you say IB architecture has the capability of up to four channel memory, the sandy bridge architecture has the same capability, and we don't see quad channel on 1155 now. Just because an architecture has a capability does not mean they have to put it on there, they make two different chips (SB-E, SB, or IB, IB-E) one of which will have a dual channel memory controller to save die space and one of which will have a quad channel memory controller.
3. You say you see no reason from Intel to think IB is just a die shrink of SB, ever heard of tick tock?

I just read through this, and... I'm speechless...

As was said MULTIPLE times in this thread S1155 will NEVER have quad-channel support.

I think SonDa5 is confused about Intel's current naming convention...
Ivy Bridge, along with Sandy Bridge, is the name of the architecture family, like with Westmere and Nehalem before. Instead of using different core names (Bloomfield/Lynnfield/Clarkdale/Gulftown), Intel now uses the 'platform description' similar to what is used to differentiate Xeons.

To the person that was talking about a S1155 board with 8 DIMM slots. Four DIMMs per channel is possible, only if you run ECC+Registered/Buffered DDR3-800/1066 (that's PC3-6400/8500). Trace lengths and signal propagation become an issue at higher DRAM clocks.

The last time you could easily find boards with 3+ DIMMs per channel was back in the SDR/DDR1 days, and that was usually only with single-channel boards.

Can you people stop bumping this thread? I think we've covered the topic sufficiently; there's no need to keep bashing the OP.

Back