iBook troubles... help?

Hey guys...

Long time no post.

Anyway, today, randomly, my iBook (see sig) randomly started freezing up. Literally freezing as in mouse, clock and other stuff just stops moving. For about a week I've been having to reboot it because "Mac OS X quit unexpectedly" (don't believe me? I took screenshots :-p)

I sort of suspect bad RAM, but I can't find my Apple Hardware Test CD. Hope you guys have some suggestions.

I also think it sounds like the RAM. If you have extra RAM installed, take it out and see if your problems go away.

Removed my extra RAM, didn't help...

I also booted from my backup (of a few days ago) from my Firewire HD, still froze.

This is starting to seem kind of serrious... Ideas? :-\

you may want to ask at forums.macnn.com. In general, you can get better responses to mac questions there (not that the people here aren't good, there are just more mac people there :))

Have you repaired your file permissions? ;)

Seriously though, it probably won't help, but it's worth a shot. Boot into single user mode (alt cmd s, I think) and do fsck -y. Then reboot and boot holding alt cmd r p until it's restarted two more times. It might help. Probably not though. You might want to check out your serial number and compare it to the "bad iBook logic board" issues. If it crashes on the backup drive as well, it kind of suggests bad hardware.

try repairing permissions and if that doesn't do anything, do an archive and install, fixed the problem for me.

that look about right?
Picture-1.jpg

I've done all the software stuff possible (safe mode, single user, even a Linux boot CD) and I've narrowed the problem down to the video card or the onboard RAM. (When the Linux boot disc inits the video driver, it hangs, and the screen saver expedites the crashing under OS X).

So basically all there is to do now is replace the motherboard.

However, I'd like to take this opportunity to upgrade to 1.33Ghz.

I'm wondering, though...
-will the 1.33Ghz motherboard fit in this case?
-does the new board require a new/different trackpad (for scrolling features and such)?
-where would the Bluetooth module fit in?
-do you need a special hard drive to support sudden motion sensor?
-will my current RAM (512MB PC2700) and Airport Extreme module work?

All iBook G4s use the same case, I believe. Either way, yes, a new one will probably fit into your previous-generation case. The new trackpads are supposedly new hardware, so that might cause some issues. iBooks have been able to have Bluetooth for a while now. Only real difference, I think, is that the new ones ship with it by default. No, you don't need a special hard drive. Yes, your RAM will work.

Looking at photos of the two boards (800mhz and 1.33ghz) they look almost exactly the same. Almost.

And the logic board install guide on PBFixIt.com is identical for all the models.

May as well give it a go...

Back