If there ever was a time to wait...

Corvette

[H]ard|Gawd
If there ever was a time to wait it seems like it's now. I can think of four technologies that seem to be coming out Q4:

ATI 6000
Light Peak
Sandy Bridge
20nm SSD

Is this more than usual or is it just that these are all things that I'm interested so it just seems like a lot?

totally normal, there will ALWAYS be new things in the "near future" regarding computer hardware, so it's really pointless to wait for something that hasn't even been paper-released.

My advice is to go for it now and enjoy your hardware :), otherwise you'll never be able to enjoy yourself with your new PC. Only wait when the product you intent to buy is a couple of weeks away from hitting the shelves.

sandy bridge i thought was Q1 2011

Sure they may be released in Q4 some things, but how well released, paper launches, high prices

Nice thing when something launches is that you can get the "old" equipment for cheaper. You can get a nice 200 series Nvidia card for a lot less then what it was new.

sandy bridge and light peak don't really interest me all that much. sandy bridge cpus don't seem like they'll be 'all that' come release with what's been stated about them so far. light peak is a nice concept, but it just doesn't seem to be very beneficial for consumer use (esp. considering the possible cost).

now the new 2Xnm ssds are interesting because they have potential to make ssds more affordable/standard, but that all depends on their performance and reliability at this point (as well as cost). the ati 6XXX series is kind of interesting as well, but it was kind of sad to hear that they were forced to go back to 4Xnm tech because their manufacturer skipped 3Xnm production in favor of 2Xnm r&d.

You have to be willing to wait 1 year. Otherwise, just buy now.

This.

If you're in the $1,200 range for a full computer, you can build one heck of a computer!
$100 - $120 for an E758 direct from EVGA
$200 for an i7 930 at MicroCenter
$420 for SLI GTX 460 1GBs
case, ssd, hdd, 1kW PSU, $20 DVD

The only thing that's a rip off is memory.

The only thing worth waiting for, IMO, are the SSDs. They're about to double in capacity for what is likely to be the same price. That's huge.

ATI cannot get Crossfire right with the current generation of cards. Do you think they will for the 6XXX?

ATI cannot get Crossfire right with the current generation of cards. Do you think they will for the 6XXX?

I never really consider ati when looking for a multi-card system solution, but for most of the time when they are worth buying they're awesome values for single card systems. not everyone wants/needs multi-card setups, actually with the last generation of cards especially, more ppl were content with single card gaming builds.

my main point, the world doesn't revolve around multi-card rigs, lol.

was wrong with ATI Xfire right now with 5 series?

same problem ati has always had with multi-cards, bad scaling. well, it's not really a 'problem' or 'bad', but it's quite a bit behind nvidia's sli technology in terms of scaling and always has been from what I know (it's been recently 're-pointed' out with the cfx 5870 v. sli gtx 460 tests done).

Right now I don't game much, and when I do it's just CoD:MW2 which I just turn down the settings and imagine I'm playing CS 1.9 or something. I am due to upgrade my 7900GS, but I still feel like I can wait.

The initial implementation of Light Peak may just be monitors and external hard drives, but I would love to see high speed fiber optics handling communications, expansion cards, and stuff like that.

I hope that Sandy Bridge pushes down the cost of something 1156 because I bought a Corsiar H50 and would like to keep it in my next build.

I believe my most likely purchase would be an SSD. I really want something in the 200GB or larger class and just cannot justify the current cost of that size drive.

Corvette, that 7900GS is as powerful as the m335GT in the Alienware M11x. It's easily capable of 1366x768 with medium settings, in most games.

same problem ati has always had with multi-cards, bad scaling. well, it's not really a 'problem' or 'bad', but it's quite a bit behind nvidia's sli technology in terms of scaling and always has been from what I know (it's been recently 're-pointed' out with the cfx 5870 v. sli gtx 460 tests done).

Good to know, i dont follow multi card much until lately since i was considering it, i do remeber when ATI came out with Xfire and claimed it would work with ALL games cause of the modes it used!

Good to know, i dont follow multi card much until lately since i was considering it, i do remeber when ATI came out with Xfire and claimed it would work with ALL games cause of the modes it used!

technically it can, what they don't tell you is that it may require tweaks/hacks and/or specific settings, lol.

Hoping SSD will drop in price so I can get a 160 gig here soon for a reasonable amount of money. For now, sticking with traditional HD's

Although I agree now is the time to wait my reasons are different:

Diablo 3
Rage
Guild Wars 2
ETc.

Althought I'd love to upgrade, I play everything fine for the moment. I guess if I was a huge Final Fantasy XIV fan, I'd be upgrading, but I am going to hold out with my Q6600 and 4870 for a while until I need more power.

I am thinking real hard on how to spend my upgrade dollars right now. :( Intel refresh are coming in Q4 2010

Back