IGN wants to give MGS4 an 11

any tips on what weapons to upgrade/buy? i've been hoarding money so far, because the guns i pick up are more than enough to get through the game

I put a silencer on the sniper I acquired from the enemy. In the mission where you sneak around in a oil drum, at one part there is a sniper and if you kill him you can take his rifle. Putting a silencer on that sniper is the best thing I have done. It so deadly and so silent, the enemies have no idea where you are at.

This game is godlike... I was a HUGE fan of the series and this game is the culmination of 21 years of one of gamings finest series.

I'm going to replay the game on Extreme difficulty with zero alerts or zero kills in less than five hours to unlock the Big Boss rating and all the unlockables that come with it.

I won't lie, I never played the other MGS games but I had to pick this up just to see...

It is easily one of the most amazing games I have ever played. I have really missed feeling so in depth with a game like this...never want to put it down !:eek::eek:
To whoever asked, I felt fine playing the game without any background. I may not feel as close a connection to snake as others..haha..but I still love it.

I think its the first game in a long time to truly live up to what people say about it.

i can hardly wait to play this game but i think i'll wait until my new 47" hdtv shows up next week. :D

I finished a 4 hours session with the game and there is little to fault so far. The story is great, the cutscenes are great, the gameplay is fun and the character design on the enemies is top notch. If you happen to die you can skip through the cutscenes so they shouldn't bother anyone. The game has a ton of polish and high production values which is nice to see for once.

One little nit-pick I have is that when transitioning from the great-looking cutscenes it really brings out how low-res some of the textures are. I only remember noticing it twice, once when Snake was next to a burnt out car and another time when he was crouched next to a door. Both were a blocky mess with no real texture at all. Other than that the graphics are great, along with the sound as well.

any tips on what weapons to upgrade/buy? i've been hoarding money so far, because the guns i pick up are more than enough to get through the game

I did the same but i completely ran out at the boss on act 3! Sheer panic buying bullets to kill the succa, i nearly bodged up and bought an expensive weapon with no bullets lol, I think the second time i play through the game ill pay more attention to the upgrades etc, im spoiling the game a bit i know but im still gonna enjoy playing this game through multiple times.

My Wife started her new game this morning and the opening adverts were completly different lol!

This is by far, the best game i have ever played. I dont remember the last time someone tied up all the loose ends so neatly and so unexpectedly in a game. the Act 3 chases made my jaw drop with the camera angles and the slow motion. #1 gun is still the mk22 and the nagant. Killing people is a nono for me in MGS :D

Oh, the low res textures do show up and it kinda bothers.. like snake has a cutscene opening a door and it looks like they ripped the door out of hte MGS1 days.

Just finished it! Took 15.5 hours total, (yes i did a lot of running and gunning lol!) The last battle was amazing, Gonna start it again tomorrow, i think its made me want to play through the first 3 aswell

having never owned a playstation or played any of the MGS series, I am going out tomorrow and picking up a PS3 and MGS4 because of this thread...:D

I will say this....MGS4 is one of the best games I have ever played but I don't know if I would say THE best. Of course I've only started act 3 and it is getting better...however I am annoyed at times when I feel like I'm playing an advanced evolution of the Dragons Lair formula....in other words an animated movie that you control somewhat. The frustrating part is that you seem to lose control of Snake just when you're starting to get a groove on.....but the semi-interactive cutscenes are done very well and make up for that. In any case, you can tell that a lot of heart and soul went into making this game...and that is always a good thing.

I haven't played any of the previous MGS games. Could I still jump in and buy this one and like it?

I just finished playing through the game yesterday. I got to say that Metal Gear Solid 4 over delivered. I am blown away by the sound, story and graphic. Near the end of the game the graphic do look like Crysis level graphic(I'm not talking about the environment but the cut scene on the ship).

Playing MGS4 is probably the best 20 hours I ever spent in my life (I do live a pretty simple life tho lol).

I haven't played any of the previous MGS games. Could I still jump in and buy this one and like it?
It's a pretty good game, even for non fans. Just don't expect to be raving about it quite as much as some of the posters here. ;)

How bad are the cut scenes? MGS was one of my favorite games ever. MGS2 I never even finished. That garbage was so disappointing with all the codec chats and cut scenes I didn't have any motivation to finish it.

How bad are the cut scenes? MGS was one of my favorite games ever. MGS2 I never even finished. That garbage was so disappointing with all the codec chats and cut scenes I didn't have any motivation to finish it.

The cut scenes are very action packed however near the end of the game the cut scenes are longer. I think the longest cut scene is the ending which is about 30 minutes long(maybe longer I didn't really time it).

I haven't played a MGS game since, well the first MGS. I've never liked the series. Any reason why I should give MGS4 a try with my past dislike for the series?

So, b/w GTA4 and MGS4...for a guy who hasn't played any of the previous games (both GTA and MGS)...which would ya recommend?

Lucky for you, act 3 is very cinematic and action packed.. BIG MAMA pretty much ties up a lot of loose ends. The end of act 3 is pretty amazing.

Unfortunately, Penny Arcade sums it up best for me. I played Act 1 and got into Act 2. It was a solid game and everything, but I just couldn't get into it. The good thing about it is that there is still no reason for me to get a PS3. :D

pa.jpg

Same thing with GTA, I've just never liked the games.

Unfortunately, Penny Arcade sums it up best for me. I played Act 1 and got into Act 2. It was a solid game and everything, but I just couldn't get into it. The good thing about it is that there is still no reason for me to get a PS3. :D

And I could never get into penny arcade comics. I just can't find the funny. Can someone point it out? :D ;)

You probably don't like games that's probably why.

You probably don't like games that's probably why.

I actually average about 2 hours a day, so I don't think that is the problem. :p I'm just stuck playing the games I have until Fable2 and GoW2 come out.

i finished up act 1 tonight.. <spoiler> sorta disappointed by the lack of boss fight<spoiler>

I haven't played a MGS game since, well the first MGS. I've never liked the series. Any reason why I should give MGS4 a try with my past dislike for the series?

IF you didnt like the MGS on PS1 then dont bother with MGS4..

Its more of the same, no its not the greatest thing since sliced bread. however, it is well thought out and well executed game. It is just what I expected from Metal Gear Solid, and I am pleased. Nothing more or nothing less.

Combat is totally different from the old games. I find the games very different. This one plays more like an FPS mixed with splinter cell. The old games had horrible combat and camera, they were really designed around sneaking. This game seems more designed around shooting and is a lot more action packed. You still have the option of sneaking, and the sneaking is the best out there, but you now have an option of fighting without getting your ass handed to you because of the crappy controls and camera.

I think its safe to say that people who hated the old games might like MGS4, especially if they like shooters. The lock-on option should also please people who arent into FPS aiming on a controller. They might find the story confusing though since theres no "previously on MGS" segments.

Now that they are giving way too many games perfect scores (even though they don't deserve them, Bioshock, GTA4, Crysis etc.) they have screwed up their own scoring systems. Morons.

Just started act 4
<spoiler> It is so awsome how they put one level of MGS 1 in the game as a flash back of snake. all of a sudden my Tv went from 1080 high def to 4:3 standard def and I was like WTF, then I saw snake and the polygons, lol. fricken awsome! lol all the polygon blockyness made me smile so much. It brang back such old memories when playing through that level again.
</spolier>
The story is so good. I can wait to see how it all ties up in the end.
This is like watching a really good movie or reading a really good book. You just can't wait to see what happens next.

Out of all the games I've bought this year, this game for me has lived up to all of it's hype. The beginning, middle, and end was so GOOD. I wanted to throw up it was so exciting.

It's a pretty good game, even for non fans. Just don't expect to be raving about it quite as much as some of the posters here. ;)

I played mgs on PS1 and didnt finish it. Havent followed or touched a MGS since. I find MGS4 simply amazing. Been a very very long time since ive played any game for more than 4 hours at a time during one sitting. I bought into the hype because i felt i had to. I definitely feel like the hype has been surpassed easily.

Now that they are giving way too many games perfect scores (even though they don't deserve them, Bioshock, GTA4, Crysis etc.) they have screwed up their own scoring systems. Morons.

Who is "they"? I hope youre not looking at Maxim and Stuff game reviews and taking them seriously. The only game that got a perfect in that list is GTA4. So because two majorly big games known for being the best in their class come out within a couple of months of eachother its "way too many"? Its only 2 games, its been years since they have given perfect scores and it will be years until another game gets a perfect score, relax.

Nobody would be bitching about 10's if GTA4 came out last year. Its just a weird coincidence that two 10 games come out right next to eachother.

Back