Ikea desk gallery

Ah I see

I just noticed your tower stand too :D
What piece did you use for that? (The PC in the middle, looks like the CM 692)

Last edited:
redid some stuff hopefully the last time
IMG_1027.jpg

How possible would it be to mod the Galant desk (non-corner) into a standing desk? It has height adjustment, it just needs to raise to around 44" instead of 32 1/4". I want to try a stand up desk like GeekDesk but the price is discouraging.

I'm not sure how high the Galant desks can rise with the T-legs but you'll most likely need to remove all items off the desk to adjust it. It's pretty heavy. Might need a second person to help.

How possible would it be to mod the Galant desk (non-corner) into a standing desk? It has height adjustment, it just needs to raise to around 44" instead of 32 1/4". I want to try a stand up desk like GeekDesk but the price is discouraging.

Unfortunately, the desk only goes up to 32 1/4" as stated on the website, I have mine almost maxed out in that height area and once you pass the mark, there are markings on the legs saying to stop.

Only way to get it to 44" would be just to buy the top and build some legs yourself to reach the desired height, that or put it on a stand of some kind for just the feet to raise it up.

I'm not sure how high the Galant desks can rise with the T-legs but you'll most likely need to remove all items off the desk to adjust it. It's pretty heavy. Might need a second person to help.

I would probably never adjust it once I have it at comfortable height. The GeekDesk has a motor presuming one would alternate between sitting and standing during the day, but I'm willing to pay less to do without that "feature". :p (I could always grab my laptop and sit on the couch if I want to sit comfortably)

I don't own a Galant desk to check, but would these leg stands work?

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/84609085

They adjust to 42" which is high enough for me. Looking at this desk or the slightly wider one:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S19806753

Not sure if my mod would work with A-Legs frame, maybe only T-Legs. Looking at $60 for legs plus $160 for desk, which certainly beats $800 + $100 something shipping for the GeekDesk. I like the concept of standing computing far as work productivity goes, with possible benefits to back muscles. I'll browse this thread more to see if I can find reference shots of underneath the desk, but if anyone could look at their desk and reliably give me an answer if this mod is possible I'd greatly appreciate it.

Edit:
After looking more closely at the VIKA BYSKE leg, it might not actually lock into place reliably since it's meant for a wall mounted desk.

2nd edit:
Didn't realize I can buy just the top.. would be smarter for this mod: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S29847786

Last edited:
Just curious - Does anyone here work from home on these desks? I'm trying to find something more comfortable than the glass desk I currently have as I work from home 3 days a week and the 8+ hours a day is really taking its toll on my shoulders/neck.

Curious how comfortable these desks are after a long day of usage.

Just curious - Does anyone here work from home on these desks? I'm trying to find something more comfortable than the glass desk I currently have as I work from home 3 days a week and the 8+ hours a day is really taking its toll on my shoulders/neck.

Curious how comfortable these desks are after a long day of usage.

I'm using my Jerker desk in my home office. It's really the perfect desk to work on a whole day long, and beyond :)

As the original poster to this thread, I guess I should update it a little with my own pictures. HUGE upgrades all around from my old setup. No more crts. Still needs more light. I want to hit up Ikea this weekend for some led lights to accent the desk and light up the room.

My Fredrik
153.jpg

The Wife's Fredrik. She takes care of the bills and what not. We also manage property and shes in charge of the bookkeeping (hence the dirty desk).
154.jpg

Both Fredriks
157.jpg

Last edited:
I finally got around to snapping a shot of my Jerker. Bought it for $50 off of Craigslist after reading through this thread. The little shelf thing on the left is actually the upper portion of the previous desk. I hated that desk but the upper shelves make a great accessory for the Jerker! (Pardon the wiring. Just ordered 100 pack velcro cable ties off of Amazon)

IMG_0952.jpg

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Love what you did with your old desk there :).

Thanks. What I never noticed until I took this picture is that the shelving and all electronics in it are "vintage". The HP scanner and printer that simply won't die and a friend's old rig converted into my trusty Windows Home Server all reside in my original 5 year old pos desk's upper shelving unit.

I do like the Fredrik desk, i love my 2, i got both sizes and they seem to work great for me together for both PC gaming and music listening and also music production/recording.
Not quite the Jerker though.

TZwhd.jpg

Got a new monitor so I figured I had to whore it out a little. It is definitely maxing the room available with the speakers I have, almost too big.

TZwhd.jpg

Got a new monitor so I figured I had to whore it out a little. It is definitely maxing the room available with the speakers I have, almost too big.

If you feel your monitor is too big, then you don't belong here. Nothing is excessive around here. :D:D:D

If you feel your monitor is too big, then you don't belong here. Nothing is excessive around here. :D:D:D

Haha yeah I don't think it is too big per se, but Formula 1 is only in standard def until 2012 so it is very pixelated!!

"Quote:
Originally Posted by nalc View Post
Looks like it is a MountainMods case.

Also looks like it's housing an EVGA SR-2. Beautiful."

yes its an sr2 and its a custom danger den case. looks like a mountain mod case though.

n.jpg

Do you have a cable box or something sitting on something else?

No, I hate Speed Networks coverage of F1 (too many commercial breaks mostly) so I just download the BBC version. Which sucks, I really need to hold off surfing sports/facebook/twitter until I can sit down and watch it unless I want to have it spoiled for me.

Back