I'm at a loss - why might my fans be operating this way?

Phixzet

Limp Gawd
I have an overpowered system... 1950x, 64GB of RAM, 960 Pro SSD. (Asus Rog Zenith Extreme MB)

One of the things I'm using it for is as my main Blue Iris server. With only really BI running, my Tdie and fans oscillate to an uncomfortable degree. (Meaning the noise from the constantly shifting fans is more annoying than even a higher speed fan setting)

See the attached picture. Both Tdie's, my chassis fan, and my 2x (paralleled) AIO fans. Plus CPU package power.

You see the oscillations. Then it stops when I start xmr-stack CPU miner. My CPU power surges of course. But the Tdie's and fan speeds take a while to spin up. And again even when they do plateau - at slightly above the previous average temps and fan speeds... The noise is much more noticeable.

I've tuned my fans with the Q-fan automatic tuner. No progress; if anything it made the fans spin at a faster speed.

I think in the fans were less sensitive it wouldn't start such an annoying oscillation. Any thoughts on what's going on and how to prevent? My system is pretty darn quiet without these oscillations.

Peculiar behavior - HWINFO Output 2.JPG

I had a similar problem when I built my system under certain "pulsating" loads.

Best options are going to either be set the fans to a static speed that you are comfortable with, or do what I did and go with an NZXT Grid+ to control the fans, in the CAM software there is an option to use hysteresis in order to prevent fluctuations like you're experiencing.

If you don't want to go to a controller like the Grid+, I beleve Speedfan has a hysteresis option to combat the ramping

change the aio to be based on the water temp and this problem will go away. its the short cpu use/temp bursts that are causing the fans to do this or do what rg said.

The AIO is an Enermax AIO 280, and it just has a 3 pin connector for the pump (connected to the W_PUMP+ connector and the fans (together) to the CPU fan connector.

So no way really to do that unless I'm misunderstanding?

Thanks for the help though!

The AIO is an Enermax AIO 280, and it just has a 3 pin connector for the pump (connected to the W_PUMP+ connector and the fans (together) to the CPU fan connector.

So no way really to do that unless I'm misunderstanding?

Thanks for the help though!
nope i dont think those have any control. you could try the hysteresis in speedfan or set a static speed until the cpu goes over the max spike temp(53c?).
or maybe heat soak it for a bit and set it at a static speed that balances noise/temp. start at 100% then lower it down.
hope that all makes sense.

I tried downloading speedfan but it didn't recognize my sensors and didn't have an existing config for it.

Strangely the oscillations seem to have quieted down. Still there, maybe a little less since I don't hear the fans spinning up and down.

I'll have to try to play more with SpeedFan though to see if I can get it working... Thanks again!

what's the time for those graphs? one square is 1 minute across?

Just trying to get a sense of how long the cycling is taking. I know water has a very high specific heat meaning it can hold a lot of energy (i.e. take a long time to heat up and cool down)...so using internal CPU temp might be better than water temp, but I'm not too familiar with AIO's.

Could you set a custom temp to rpm curve with a wider temp range at same speed? I've done this many times.

The cycling is about ever 25-30 seconds...

Fan Xpert is allowing me to apply fan smoothing.

Which I don't quite follow what it's doing - but it's doing something. It may be doing hysteresis. Fan Xpert is far from perfect, lags on my system bad... But it may give me my sanity back.

I should really un-install AI3, run AICleaner, and see if the problem persists. It MAY have started when I upgraded AI, but not sure.

Back