Inform me on headphone amps please.

Flash445

Weaksauce
What are the basic things to look for in headphone amps. I went over to look at the head-fi.org forum and I saw this amp that everyone recommended but it was like 300 dollars. I was wondering if the amp from Zalman (I forgot the model name) or a headphone amp used in music recording would be sufficient.

Don't get the Zalman, it's not a real amp. There really aren't any basics per se, it highly depends on the headphones you're using too. I'd say that if you're starting off, go with solid state amps which use op amps. A good one is the iBasso D1 for $250 shipped. It allows you to switch out the op amps for better sound quality.

Just a warning though, if you have crappy headphones, an amp's not gonna make them sound much better.

Depends on the headphones. However, pm Mister X here for a mini3 amp which is about $100 and is as good as any $300 amp I have heard.

Depends on the headphones. However, pm Mister X here for a mini3 amp which is about $100 and is as good as any $300 amp I have heard.

Don't you think that is a little misleading? I have not had the chance to hear the Mini^3 yet, but I have owned both the Pint and MisterX XP portable amps and do not think they beat out all amps under $300. The PPA, M^3, and maybe even the Pimeta all sounded better to me. The Mini^3 is still a portable amp after all...

Be careful at Head-fi bud. They almost all mean good, but they tend to be biased to their own equipment they have used on the path of infinite upgrades and you are bound to be disappointed if you take their advice and don't have the gear to back it up. Just be careful over there and read up a bit more.

What headphones are going to use with it?
What sound signature are you looking for?
What is the source?

The mini3 sounds like the Hornet M. That is what I mean by better than $300 amps. I had a MisterX pimenta, XP, and PPA. The maxxed PPA was better but was $400.

IMG_1858.jpg

Look familiar Dave? :D

The Mini^3 is still a portable amp after all...

When configured with no recharger, no battery, RCA input jacks, 1/4" output jack, runs only with a external AC adapter and not housed a hammond case we get the

Mini3 HE?

Back