Installing SQL 2000 on Win2k3

Ron|n

Gawd
I'm trying to install SQL 2000 SP2 on a Win2k3 machine. Win2k3 only supports SP3 and later, so what the MS knowledge base says to do is go ahead and install SQL (which only allows the client functionality to install), then apply the patch.

Well, I did that, but becuase I could only install the client functionality, I don't have the actual server part of SQL installed. My original install is SP2, and the patch file doesn't give me the option of installing the server portion.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

No that you have the clinet installed put the cd back in and "Add Features". It will let you install the DBMS.

When I run Autorun.exe off the CD, this window comes up:

sql1.jpg

I choose the Server Components button, I get the same "SP2 not supported" warning as before, and when I try to install the server, I get this screen:

sql2.jpg

Which still only allows for the client installation.

Any ideas?

Funny, I know this doesn't help you, but I just installed SQL 2000 on a Win2k3 server about 2 weeks ago...... I got the same error, but just went ahead and installed it...... then loaded up the patch. No problems. So the way Microsoft said how it should work is how it worked for me. =(

Originally posted by marshac
Funny, I know this doesn't help you, but I just installed SQL 2000 on a Win2k3 server about 2 weeks ago...... I got the same error, but just went ahead and installed it...... then loaded up the patch. No problems. So the way Microsoft said how it should work is how it worked for me. =(

When you applied the patch, and ran the SetupSQL.exe from patch file, did it give you the option of adding the server feature? Beucase when I run it, it doesn't.

I've installed SQL 2k over 10 or 15 times on Win2k3. I've never seen the DBMS option greyed out. Normally I just launch SetupSQL directly from the CD, click ok on the warning and just go through setup directly. I am using the MSDN CD, I don't know if that makes a difference or not though.

Originally posted by enkafan
I am using the MSDN CD, I don't know if that makes a difference or not though.

Yah, it does. Thats the version I'm using too. It already has the service pack installed.

Hmm. This is the version my school provides, so unfortunately I don't have much recourse in getting a different copy.

I read on another board somebody used a utility called TweakNT to switch some registry info which allowed the pre-SP3 server to install, updated to SP3, then used TweakNT again to change the registry info. I'd rather not do this, as hacks generally lead to odd behavior, but something might be better than nothing

To Enkfan and WRX::: are you guys using enterprise edition?

I've ran standard, enterprise and msde all on Win2k3 without a problem

Back