Intel Core i7 920 Overclocking and Heat @ [H]

I have a D0 chip. Specifics are in my sig.

Also that "4.6ghz on air" chip won't last. He mentioned highest it would boot into the OS stable, not highest stable OC. I can get a large OC to boot into windows, but if it's not proven stable by stress testing then what's the use?

I'm extremely skeptical of his "under load not higher than 74C" figure as the Dark Knight isn't THAT good, especially at 1.55v.

I'm not sure any "exotic" combos will help you clock any higher. Chips are different and it's just luck of the draw.

Oh shit I thought you had a C0! I was like, DAMN that guy got a good C0.

Well I don't know much about VTT voltage and such. Right now I'm running at 3.8 at 1.375 vCore, P95 25 minutes and 84C top so far.

BTW, that push pin system on the Cogage is just pure D junk. The twist down are already worn out. One won't even stay tight. I just barely got it tight enough and then gentle put the case back together. This is the absolute last time i EVER use that system, ever. Waste of time. Would take my 10 minutes to mount the back plate. Took me an hour to wire the fan on and get the fucking push pins to work correctly. Idiotic.

So I need a cooler, or back-plate, for the Cogage. Wanna chime in on the V10 vs H50 debate? The thing I do like about the H50 is that it takes up such little space. I just don't think it will cool as good as the V10 under high temps, from what I've read.

Oh shit I thought you had a C0! I was like, DAMN that guy got a good C0.

Well I don't know much about VTT voltage and such. Right now I'm running at 3.8 at 1.375 vCore, P95 25 minutes and 84C top so far.

BTW, that push pin system on the Cogage is just pure D junk. The twist down are already worn out. One won't even stay tight. I just barely got it tight enough and then gentle put the case back together. This is the absolute last time i EVER use that system, ever. Waste of time. Would take my 10 minutes to mount the back plate. Took me an hour to wire the fan on and get the fucking push pins to work correctly. Idiotic.

So I need a cooler, or back-plate, for the Cogage. Wanna chime in on the V10 vs H50 debate? The thing I do like about the H50 is that it takes up such little space. I just don't think it will cool as good as the V10 under high temps, from what I've read.

Thermalright makes one and It might fit, Beyond that I don't know.

Get the Thermalright 1366 bolt through kit. That's what I use on my TRUE Spirit.

As far as the V10 vs H50, the H50 is easily the better solution. Considering the TEC doesn't kick in till high temps, and the vast majority of time your rig will be at "idle," how much do you really need the TEC? Basically you're paying more, for more case obstruction, and you won't really be utilizing the full power of the TEC unless you're stress testing. That doesn't seem like a very good deal to me. You could buy two aftermarket fans with the H50 and come in cheaper than the V10. The H50 has been proven by multitudes of happy users, and yet we have to see one V10 user in this thread that's satisfied enough with it to chime in and recommend it. I think that should be a clue.

I would say your limitation isn't necessarily heat, but your CPU just can't really go any higher. Looking at the extra added cost of getting to 4.0ghz, is it really worth it when I'm fairly sure you're not running any apps that tax your CPU 100% anyways?

No it's not worth it, but i can get it stable I think at 4Ghz. I just need to go to I just need to take the vCore to 1.5v in the BIOS, which would be probably something like 1.41 under load, after vDrop is factored in. But then I'd need another cooler, and that's only 200Mhz. Definitely not worth it.

At Tom's they had a list of voltages they had to use to get the C0 at 4Ghz. right now I'm stable at 3.8 at 1.44 vCore at load. I'm going to try lowering it till get errors. Still, at 1.4 under load my highest temp was 82C.

Also Tom's ran this mega test with all sorts of software for real time benefits and showed that a clock of 3.6 with Turbo on was as fast or faster than 4GhZ taking into consideration that the CPU would throttle itself at 4Ghz.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/overclock-core-i7,2268-3.html

Good review.

I'm happy with 3.8 and I might even go to 3.7 for lower idle temps and voltage.

I hit 4.0ghz with my c0 at 1.35volt (w HT and turbo boost enable. Screen shot and stability testing is posted on evga forum also has my voltage showing.

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=7747&mpage=24

Temps on all core never broke 70 except for the one core. Although I am using the heatkiller waterblock so your temps may vary. This seem to be the sweet spot, anything higher doesnt work with this chip. Enjoy

Anyone doing any OC using ram rated at 2000 stock?

Ive ordered such a system and I was wondering what I should be doing with it in order to OC and maintaint those 2000 on the ram

(system is 950 12gb dd3 with ultra 120 and rampage 2)

Just installed a noctua nh-u12p on my 920 D0.

Originally had the chip @ 3.2ghz 1.05V with the intel stock cooling @ 70oC

So far, 3.6ghz @ 1.15V @ 70oC or 4.0Ghz @ 1.25V @ 78oC.

My gut feeling is that the chip will go higher with better cooling ( which I haven't tried yet). A few days of usage should drop the temp a few more oC once the compound cures. Also have yet to add the 2nd noctua fan for a push/pull config. Also need to try 4.0ghz @ about 1.2V to see if its stable (jumped straight to 1.25V when the system crashed @ the windows loading screen)

4ghz at 1.25v is fantastic. Why don't you just start pushing it now? You're not even hitting 90C (where I stopped).

I was considering trying to push it more, but I wanted to ease into the oc and make sure everything was stable. Prime has only been running for 1h45 @ 4ghz so far. Seems that its stable, but wanted to make sure. I think I'm going to try for 4ghz @ 1.2V ;)

How long do you guys run prime when testing an oc?

EAT POOP D0 OWNERS---EAT POOP!!!!!!!!!!!!

The 920 D0 has to be the all time great CPU ever. It will go down in history as such along with the AMD Core 2 X64 chip.

Still running my I7-920 at 4.0ghz at 1.28volts. With my H70 my heat stays in low 70s at full workload. It's a good ole' chip! Still does anything I ask it to do!

Same here @ 3.8. When I went from a Gigabyte X58 UD5 v1 to the X58 UD5 v2, it also lowered my core voltage for some reason, and remain stable, which means now I never hit over 78 even when running Prime 95 in heat test. On air. But my climate is 59 degrees +- 10 degrees year round.

Still running my I7-920 at 4.0ghz at 1.28volts. With my H70 my heat stays in low 70s at full workload. It's a good ole' chip! Still does anything I ask it to do!
Was it really necessary to bump this thread after nearly two years just to say that?

Hi. is there a user guide on how to overclock the 920 up to 3.8ghz?

do i just overclock the BCKL?

Just another note too. There is absolutely no reason for 920 owners to upgrade to Sandy Bridge or Ivy either at this time because the OC'ed 920, I think, has tons of head room with all games and excluding specific programs that can utilize a CPUs entire power load. So unless you're doing modeling or converting all day long, the benefit is negligible.

For example, I played Crysis 2 on full everything with my GTX295 and the CPU was never over half to three-quarters on most threads, and was about 505 average throughout, I would think. I mean before I upgrade my CPU I'd upgrade my card.

What do you all think?

No, there are several things you'll need to do and one thing in particular, which is to keep the RAM voltage (I think) limited to a % of the Vcore. I can't remember what it is since the last time I OCed was the 920 in 2008. If you search this board, you'll find the packages though. I think my OC set up is in here somewhere too. It also depends on what your MB can do. You should also shut off any turbo stuff in your BIOS. There are other thing too so read up before you fry anything--lol. If you have a good air cooler, though, you'll be happy with the 920's ability to OC like a bat from hell. This CPU is going down in history.

Look in my sig and that should give you what you need.

Was it really necessary to bump this thread after nearly two years just to say that?

When your happy and you know it bump this thread! ;)

Hi. is there a user guide on how to overclock the 920 up to 3.8ghz?

do i just overclock the BCKL?

I found some really good guides on the EVGA board. You might find the best guides on your specific motherboard forums.
Here's a pretty good generic guide.
http://www.overclock.net/t/538439/guide-to-overclocking-the-core-i7-920-or-930-to-4-0ghz

Here are EVGA forum links for overclocking the x58 boards.
http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=235

Here are my personal settings at 4.0ghz. Once I found stable, I kept working on lowering voltages to reduce heat. It's time consuming, but I like a silent PC and you can't have extra heat if your goal is silent.
http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=1100560&high=

Last edited:
Mine has been running at 4.0 pretty stable for about a year now. Heatsink is a thermalright Venomous-X with a 120mm Panaflo "Ultra"; temperatures get to about 70 degrees wit the fan running at full speed. When I'm not doing anything CPU intensive, I run the fan at 5V (idles around 40, which is a little higher than I'd normally like. At full speed the idle temp is more like 34)

No, there are several things you'll need to do and one thing in particular, which is to keep the RAM voltage (I think) limited to a % of the Vcore. I can't remember what it is since the last time I OCed was the 920 in 2008. If you search this board, you'll find the packages though. I think my OC set up is in here somewhere too. It also depends on what your MB can do. You should also shut off any turbo stuff in your BIOS. There are other thing too so read up before you fry anything--lol. If you have a good air cooler, though, you'll be happy with the 920's ability to OC like a bat from hell. This CPU is going down in history.

Look in my sig and that should give you what you need.

i ihave a p6t delux mobo,, 1600 ddr3 6gb ram and my cpu is water cooled.

After this thread got necroed, I went back to check my OC and found that I was only OCed to 3.6. Given the only change I made was to install a new motherboard, which was the exact same board, except the "v2" from Gigabyte, I wondered how my settings could have changed. Well, what happened was that I turned off "turbo" mode, like I had on the v1 board, and that bumped the multiplier to 20 instead of 21. Thus, 3600Mhz.

So I have to leave Turbo on. I was skeptical about leaving Turbo on because it's supposedly only clocks one core, not all of them. But, there is no other way to get a x21 multiplier on this board, as it won't go to 21 w/o "Turbo" automatically turning on in the BIOS.

Well, the good news is that all cores are showing 3800. So back to normal.

One thing that still confounds me is that my Vcore at 3.8 continues to show a really low voltage for a 3.8 OC at 1.264. With the v1 board it was showing 1.35. Anyone know why that is?

I'm linx stable at 200x19 equaling 3.8ghz with +50 vtt and 1.285 vcore, but if I go to a 20 multiplier even with 1.345 vcore and +100vtt it is no longer stable! May try +175 vtt @1.35vtt volts think that will work but it's crazy just a 200mhz jump needs so much more vtt!

I'm linx stable at 200x19 equaling 3.8ghz with +50 vtt and 1.285 vcore, but if I go to a 20 multiplier even with 1.345 vcore and +100vtt it is no longer stable! May try +175 vtt @1.35vtt volts think that will work but it's crazy just a 200mhz jump needs so much more vtt!

I don't want to say you're at a wall already with such low volts but it could be. I only needed 1.3v for 4ghz but needed almost 1.45v for 4.2.

I've got a C0 920 and have it currently at 181 x 20 with Vcore at 1.275, QPI at 1.235 and DRAM at 1.50. All this talk makes me want to push it further and see how far I can take it!

It's strange how many different settings can affect so many of the same type of CPUs differently. It makes me believe that motherboards all use power differently. Using a x21 multiplier on my gig board allowed me to get stable. And although I have a vCore equivalent of 1.35 set in the BIOS, it never hits over 1.2v. But that's the case only with my new Gig board, which is simply a version 2 of the same board. I'm happy though. My Cogage tower with a GT 1850 fan for the cooler never lets my rig get over 70C full out using P95. At full 1.35v vCore, I was in the 80+ish range.

One thing that still confounds me is that my Vcore at 3.8 continues to show a really low voltage for a 3.8 OC at 1.264. With the v1 board it was showing 1.35. Anyone know why that is?

Don't trust onboard voltage sensors. They only way to check true voltage to use a multimeter - if you know the points where to take measurements, of course. Some mobos (like EVGA classified) specifically provide for that.

Back