Intel HSF Question

Finneal

n00b
I am in the process of upgrading my rig and had a couple questions for the experts here. My current CPU is an E8400 (LGA 775 I think) and I have a TRUE-120 installed on it. I am upgrading to a boxed I7 920. The old hardware makes the CPU shuffle to my wife's machine, so I'm wondering if I can take the HSF from the boxed 920 and use it on the E8400 in my wife's machine and then re-use the TRUE-120 on the 920 in my machine.

Thanks so much for all the help!!

Finneal

You cannot because the holes on the LGA 775 motherboard (E8400) will not allow it to be installed since the spacing is different for the LGA 1366 platform.

PC_User is correct. If you bought the E8400 don't you have the original heat sink?

So the TRUE HSF I use now on the E8400 wouldnt work on the 920 either correct?

The TRUE will work, however you will need to buy the 1366 bolt through kit for it. Unless your TRUE is one of the newer ones and came with the 1366 bolt kit.

So the TRUE HSF I use now on the E8400 wouldnt work on the 920 either correct?

Assuming you have the original TRUE-120 like me, then you need the 1366 Bolt-Thru Kit that BlueFireIce linked to.

Thanks so much guys. Would it be possible for you guys to recommend an inexpensive HSF I can buy for the E8400? The CPU will not be overclocked.

All done. Thanks again !!! Picked up the bolt-thru kit as well as the CM HSF for 20$ .

You guys are awesome as usual.

Back