Intel matrix raid: A HARD DRIVE HAS REPORTED AN ERROR

MetalDwarf

[H]ard|Gawd
i awoke this morning to the intel matrix raid software telling me that a drive on my RAID 0 is failing. it doesnt tell me much more then that. the computer still runs fine.

the RAID is 2 Western Digital 500GB SATA2 drives. they are maybe 6 months old.

3 questions
1) how can i find out what the error is?
2) is it possible to fix the error
3) what is the best way to backup 1TB of data. i dont have anymore hard drives and i cant imagine backing up 200 dvds

1c6a887e.jpg

First off, just to be on the safe side, I would highly recommend making a backup of at least your important data. Personally I only backup my personal data as if I have a total crash and burn, I would use it as an oportunity to have a fresh install anyway:). The easiest way to go about this would probably be to get an external HD and copy away.

Check your cables just to make sure nothing got loose, just plug/replug to be sure. After backing up, I would get some diagnostic utilities to check your drive(s). Either from WD directly or wherever to check for SMART errors, etc. It may be that something simply went out of spec and triggered a flag or something or there may be something going bad.

Other things I have seen suggested are updating your drivers and/or BIOS, though I more skeptical of that having an impact on this. If the tools don't find anything our of the ordinary, I would just mark the drives as normal again (should be right-click menu) and hope you don't see the error again. If the error keeps coming back, then you likely have something going south.

Back