Intel Pentium II Processor Clearance - $1.99 (266) $2.99 (350)

Pretty hot deal.

I should get one of the 350 Mhz... It would actually be an upgrade over my office computer.

if they sold the mobos, ram, and same gen video cards i'd put together and buy a system now.

Heh original price $99.99. Good deal 98% off ;). To bad they're to be for keychains.

I think I'm going to get the 350 for an old computer back home :D Still running a 233...

my cellphone has more processing power.

man i need a slot p3 above 500mhz to upgrade my aunts comp >_<

I've got a PII sitting on my desk holding pens in the heatsync....It's a very nice ornament if I do say so myself...lol

sonofwang said:
if they sold the mobos, ram, and same gen video cards i'd put together and buy a system now.

what? you are deffinately not [H] if you don't have a spare PII mobo layin' around with some PC100 sticks and ATI Rage Pro to go with it. :)

I personally have a dual PII & a dual PII setup sitting a closet right now. I works well to hold the shelf down and keep Christmas ornaments and wrapping paper out of MY* closet. :D

*please don't show this thread to my wife.

Hmm...$11 after shipping...nah. The 333mhz my Pentium II machine currently has does fine.

As previously mentioned these would have plenty of power for a smoothwall or ipcop box :cool:

Man, and to think that an organization I volunteer at just threw away about 200 of these.
*Doh*

zackboll said:
they still could be usefull, my p2 400mhz does good job as multiwan router

Unfortunately a multiwan router that uses a ton of electricity.

fuelvolts said:
Another QFT - why use that huge pc that wastes all that energy???

Because

a) it doesn't use a ton
b) you have greater control
c) wider selection of add-ons
d) better torrent performance than any SOHO router (that I've seen or heard about)
e) Sometimes it's just fun to work with

It's only a waste if you don't make use of it.

I still have a PII and a few PIII's in my possession that I used for IPCOP and bit torrent p2p machines. They are good if you can find them for free. Buying one at the moment is a lost cause, most of these CPU's are going to be recycled in facilities that extract the gold content out of the CPU's.

Putting old hardware to good use is fun if you know how to do it, a lot of people don't know how to and thats their loss.

I knew if I waited long enough the prices would come down on these.

I have a pII with the heatsink I use for a door jam. The heatsink side sticks into our short carpet really well.

I have at least 6 PII 350's laying around and a matched pair of 233s. Useful? Not so much.

As far as the PC router goes - I use a P3 733 / 128mb ram for a sonic wall and that thing beats the snot out of my linksys router. I plan on downgrading to a P1 someone gave me though.

No way upgrade that shit, don't go to a P1 :(
I use a 1Ghz PIII with 768 MB ram for IPCOP. If you use addons it could actually use your CPU...

Too bad they're slot 1. If they were socket 370 I'd be tempted to snag a bunch and mount them up on a board or something. I could call it "4.3GHZ" or whatever the hell the total was and pass it off as art. ;)

malingjc said:
Unfortunately a multiwan router that uses a ton of electricity.

Yeah, but its easier to expand if you wanted say 4 or 5 wan.
I currently just have 2 wan and 3 wireless cards(2 AP) (1 wireless bridge).

3rd party firmware does add alot of functionality to some routers, like DD-WRT, but the performace of computer router solutions still surpases them in terms of both speed and reliabilty.

I had my linksys wrt54gs with 8mb flash, 32 mb ram, with 200mhz cpu. My current setup performance wise smokes my wrt54gs, and I think the psu is only rated to 90-80 watts, so it cannot be that much power. Current specs are P2 400 mhz, 386 mb ram, full OS FreeBsd 6.1 on 8 gig hard drive. It would take a multithousand dollar commercial router to get the same features I currently have just by using old pc. my ram utilization is about 60 %, 32 mb of ram, you have to set the max ip connections lower, just cant have as large of ip tables.

**edit not to mention that the wrt54g linksys routers no longer have 32 mb ram, I think they brought the g down to 8 and the GS to 16, and the GL still only has 16 mb ram

Zack

SpangeMonkee said:
what? you are deffinately not [H] if you don't have a spare PII mobo layin' around with some PC100 sticks and ATI Rage Pro to go with it. :)[/SIZE]
haha, some of us don't keep that [G]ar|bage.

lol.. i'm sure the navy will be all over these... they use 286s in practical applications still.

Falls Included said:
haha, some of us don't keep that [G]ar|bage.

lol.. i'm sure the navy will be all over these... they use 286s in practical applications still.

A 286 would make a better keychain :p.

A 286 would make a better keychain .

I have an AMD 8088 processor. I may have to clip the pins off and make a keychain

Too bad they're slot 1. If they were socket 370 I'd be tempted to snag a bunch and mount them up on a board or something.

I'm hoping you know, but there was never a P2 in socket 370.

I have two old setups like this if anybody wants to take them off my hands

1 Intel 440BX motherboard (ATX)
1 ECS 810 chipset board w/ onboard VGA/LAN socket 370 and slot 1

1 intel slot 1 pentium II 400
1 intel slot 1 pentium III 450

I also have at least a stick or two of PC100 or similar ram to go with them. Both are 100 Mhz FSB parts, and should be 100% working. Please note that both CPUs have large passive OEM style heatsinks. You will need to rig up some way to provide airflow for them or they will probably overheat. I used ducts / hotglued fans on them. They don't need a ton of airflow so it shouldn't be a problem. The ECS board also allows a small amount of overclocking (~12-15% on the FSB).

Please PM me any offers - only a few dollars since these are just wasting my space. Thanks

Back