Intel RAID 0 - one drive dropped from array when messing with UEFI storage

okashira

[H]ard|Gawd
Setup:
RAID 0 WD Green 1.5 TB drives as a storage array (3TB)

Was on sandy bridge platform, upgraded to haswell

New mobo Gigabyte UD4H picked up array just fine and all was well.

I went to re-install windows and wanted to try a straight UEFI setup. When I switched to UEFI storage in bios, the RAID array showed as FAILED and one drive is missing, and the missing drive is actually still there and detected but shows as non-raid. I HAVE Since gone back to Legacy raid bios

Here is what RST is showing now.

q5fo.png

Note the S/N of the missing drive according to the "array" is D-WMAVU2045472:1

But the correct S/N is WD-WMAVU2045472.

Don't know if this is relevant; but I belive the data is still there, just the "header" info is bad.

ANY IDEAS?

6ily.png

I've got some recovery software that worked well for my on a RAID 6 setup in the past.

But I can't create a virtual raid because that one drive is still part of the array (think it's 3 TB)

Should I remove it from the array (delete the array or boot in ahci mode so I can access it?

Use a different computer or controller and then use the software, I recommend r-studio

But yeah green drives in a RAID 0 is some massive cojones on your part. Not exactly a safe or ideal setup for "storage"

But yeah green drives in a RAID 0 is some massive cojones on your part. Not exactly a safe or ideal setup for "storage"

I keep a backup. However my most recent backup is about 3 months old because I have not done so since I moved. So there are a few things lost. :-(

My plan is to reinstall windows in AHCI (cant just switch as I forgot the system drive is RAID 0 as well :-D

Then I will hot plug the drives in AHCI and run the recovery software .... sound ok?

Last (and first) time my RAID0 fell out of the array was after doing a routine system restart last October. Spent countless hours, days, and weeks trying to recover the data. I was fortunate enough that I had a backup copy, but that by no means solved the issue. For some reason it got all screwed up in the BIOS and I decided to just go back to a single try and restore the backup (another can of worms itself).

Unless the data is really important in that past 3 months then I'd just rip the band aid off and do a full rebuild this time setting up automated backup software to create a full image at least once a week. Depending on your usage and storage needs that may be all you need to keep relevant backups without resorting to differential and incremental backup solutions.

There is a chance you could fix it but with onboard RAID have fun. Green drives are not recommended at all for RAID0 lol. You do have balls. That alone is a train wreck waiting to happen.

Really, I have had great luck with these green drives with raid. I have 6 of them

For a year I was running all 6 in a RAID 5 (and later RAID 6) setup 24/7 with a PERC 6/I. Never had a single problem that wasn't self inflicted, (just like my current problem)

I refuse to buy an "enterprise class" drive, knowing what I do about engineering, they are the f'ing same drive with a couple different flags set.

If your disk order remains the same you could try

1. backing up the MBR (1st sector of the first disk of the array). As a safety precaution backup the first sector on the second disk as well.
  2. delete the array
  3. recreate the array with the same disks, volume size and stripe
  4. restore the first sector
  5. reboot or offline/online the array.

success.

I had to BACK to RAID mode so I can remove the one drive from the array with CTRL-I, then go back again to AHCI to boot windows, created the simulated array and it's all there.

Back