Intel SSD Dead after firmware update

I really hope my hospital isn't using 'bleeding' edge technology for critical equipment.

"No no nurse, that failed to boot error doesn't mean the patient."

From the installation paper:
Use of Intel Products: Intel products are not designed, intended, or authorized for use in medical, life saving, life sustaining systems, or a for any other application in which the failure of the Intel Product could create a situation where personal injury of death may occur. Anyone using or selling Intel Products for use in such systems does so at its own risk.

What's strange is that it's only bricking a few drives and not all of them... I can't wait to hear what caused this.

SSD is dead. I've tried everything but it's gone. Why will it take weeks? If I return it to Newegg, they're currently out of stock and I'm sure with many, many others trying to RMA, it'll probably take forever. Even if I RMA to Intel, I'm way behind others getting a drive too. So it'll probably take some time to get a replacement and everything reinstalled.

I'm sorry to hear it's totally dead. I assumed otherwise, based on what other had posted.

Anyhow, Intel's warranty service is the best in the business. Two machines I've built have had their Intel boards go bad and I've never experienced better product support than Intel.

And I work in technical support.

Crafty, Intel, crafty. NewEgg thanks you!

With supplies already lower than ant's knees, now those who have a bricked drive will get replacements, thus ensuring the supply remains low while prices remain high.

;)

My flash seems OK.
my process:
  • rebooted in IDE compatability mode
  • flashed from Intel ISO
  • rebooted
  • ran secure erase (ver 3.3?)
  • rebooted in AHCI mode
  • installed Windows 7

worked thru the 5 or 6 reboots need to install various drives in Win7.

Before, however, Ive been having another problem on fresh Win7 installs. When i turn the system off or standby overnight, my Win7 install/ partition disappears, and I have to reformat and reinstall. it's like the SSD is losing the data. ill see if that's continued tonight.
i'll come back from standby after 8 hours, and the system will crash, and, on reboot, it will say inset disk into specified boot drive, etc. or something of that sort.

those of you with dead drives, did you try to secureerase to save it?

I saw this posted on another web site. I'll give it a try. Here's the link to Secure Erase/HDDErase:

http://cmrr.ucsd.edu/people/Hughes/SecureErase.shtml

Credit (vtfanmv5):
Okay, sorry for so many posts, but I wanted to let anyone else that is having this issue know that I found a solution.

-Unplug your SATA cable from your SSD, keep the case open
-Turn your computer on, change to IDE/Compatibility mode, as usual
-Boot from the UBCD or however you're using HDDErase
-BEFORE selecting HDDErase and loading the program, reconnect the SATA cable to your SSD
-Use HDDErase as usual, and the BIOS chip will not be able to block your erase - since it did not detect the drive during POST.

I saw this posted on another web site. I'll give it a try. Here's the link to Secure Erase/HDDErase:

http://cmrr.ucsd.edu/people/Hughes/SecureErase.shtml

Credit (vtfanmv5):
Okay, sorry for so many posts, but I wanted to let anyone else that is having this issue know that I found a solution.

-Unplug your SATA cable from your SSD, keep the case open
-Turn your computer on, change to IDE/Compatibility mode, as usual
-Boot from the UBCD or however you're using HDDErase
-BEFORE selecting HDDErase and loading the program, reconnect the SATA cable to your SSD
-Use HDDErase as usual, and the BIOS chip will not be able to block your erase - since it did not detect the drive during POST.

I suggest getting HDDerase / Secureerase from Anandtech or another source as 4.0 (the one you linked) won't work with the X-25M IIRC.

I already flashed my drive yesterday. Still using vista 64. Before install windows 7 I plan to HDD erase my drive. then install. Will my drive become a brick if I start running windows 7 on it?

Guess I'll consider myself lucky. Laptop and Desktop flashed last night. Both worked fine.

I already flashed my drive yesterday. Still using vista 64. Before install windows 7 I plan to HDD erase my drive. then install. Will my drive become a brick if I start running windows 7 on it?

Doesn't sound like you'll have a problem. It sounds like its only been Windows 7 installs (already installed) that get messed up on that 1st reboot after the firmware flash with AHCI.

I haven't seen anyone report a problem doing a clean install or people having Vista or XP problems.

People are saying intel cross-ship RMAs are taking like 1-2 days total. You're still screwed, obviously, as you lost all that data and will have to reinstall etc, but you're not out of commission for weeks.

And who knows, maybe intel will release some sort of fix. They obviously know about the situation since they pulled the firmware.

Yep, 24 hours from bricking to package at doorstep for me.

G2 80GB

shut down, unplugged all other drives
powered up, set IDE mode
booted from CD, hit yes a bunch of times, updated firmware
shut down, plugged other drives back in
powered up, set AHCI mode
rebooted, booted into existing Windows 7 install
some drivers installed, rebooted
done

Have run the toolbox trim several times, as well as the quick scan, no problems since the afternoon of the firmware launch. This was on an already-existing Windows 7 Ultimate x64 install on an Asrock P55 Pro motherboard.

Friend of mine with an Asus P5Q followed a similar procedure with no issues either.

I wonder if having other devices plugged in had anything to do with it, for the people whose drives were bricked?

My condolences to those who lost their drives and/or data.

I have basically the same setup and used the same method earlier (Asrock p55 Deluxe mobo instead) and have had no problems. Granted, I rebooted maybe twice afterwards, but I didn't see any of the problems encountered in the thread.

Definitely change to IDE mode while flashing. Seems to be the trick.

G2 80GB

shut down, unplugged all other drives
powered up, set IDE mode
booted from CD, hit yes a bunch of times, updated firmware
shut down, plugged other drives back in
powered up, set AHCI mode
rebooted, booted into existing Windows 7 install
some drivers installed, rebooted
done

Have run the toolbox trim several times, as well as the quick scan, no problems since the afternoon of the firmware launch. This was on an already-existing Windows 7 Ultimate x64 install on an Asrock P55 Pro motherboard.

Friend of mine with an Asus P5Q followed a similar procedure with no issues either.

I wonder if having other devices plugged in had anything to do with it, for the people whose drives were bricked?

My condolences to those who lost their drives and/or data.

The second of my two drives died last night. Sad.

Intel is very quick to offer an RMA, though. They said I'd have brand new drives 3-5 business days after they received the old ones. That's good to hear.

yeah that's bullshit, I'm not going to pay them to replace a drive their firmware update broke

The replacement fee is $0.

It's only $25 if you want a replacement OVERNIGHTED to you.

The second of my two drives died last night. Sad.

Was the drive working for a while and died afterwards (which I haven't heard of yet) or did you flash the drive with the bugged firmware after reading the reports of this bug?

.............. Definitely change to IDE mode while flashing. Seems to be the trick.

Nope, nothing to do with that really. I did mine in AHCI mode and it's still working fine a couple of days and many reboots later. Reports are just all over the place with successes and failures on on differing OS versions, differing systems, differing methods of updating, etc. So far I've not seen any common thread that is causing the failures other than Windows being the OS and it goes to shit after the first reboot when Windows sees it as a new drive and installs the drivers for the drive again. Just seems to be hit and miss with the only common thing being the firmware itself. Those that fail seem to get the first reboot into Windows fine which is when Win will redetect the drive and install new drivers. Then after that reboot, if it's going to fail, it does.

I'm starting to wonder if maybe it's a particular batch of drives of some certain date code or serial number range or something.

Another small update direct from Intel regarding a question on if you should be worried if you have flashed but are not having problems.

http://communities.intel.com/message/71650#71650

"Intel is sorry about the frustration this is causing. If your drive is working properly with your current system settings, there is a good possibility you will not have any further problems. Please do not change your driver settings at this time until Intel gives further guidance.

Best Regards,

Brady - Intel NAND Solutions Group "

Another small update direct from Intel regarding a question on if you should be worried if you have flashed but are not having problems.

http://communities.intel.com/message/71650#71650

"Intel is sorry about the frustration this is causing. If your drive is working properly with your current system settings, there is a good possibility you will not have any further problems. Please do not change your driver settings at this time until Intel gives further guidance.

Best Regards,

Brady - Intel NAND Solutions Group "
that's good to hear :)

The replacement fee is $0.

It's only $25 if you want a replacement OVERNIGHTED to you.
That's more understandable, but I think Intel should step up and foot the bill on this one. It's their fault for releasing firmware without thoroughly testing it.

so, those of you with working drives, are you letting the intel optimizer tool run?
I didn't set up a scheduled run when I did it the first time, and I'm hesitant to mess with it now

my storage settings are set to RAID so I know it's not running in real time

...but the drive isn't. Definitely not a good sign that it crashes like you describe, I'd suggest RMAing it

I can't blame that on drive as I have a 30% OC on my Q9450 when installing windows.

Tested last night, working fine this time.

To all, given that intel says it happens when TRIM is passed. I'm wondering, to those with failed drives:

Are you running Intel MSM Drivers or Microsoft Stock Drivers?

My drive is good and I'm running Intel MSM drivers 9.5.xxx.xxx ...

I made a custom TRIM command which executes

SSDOptimizer.exe -t C *DRIVE S/N*

much faster then running the tool, and you can set it to run all the time.

Also, Ive noticed, running TRIM does nothing for performance for me.

I intentially filled up my drives, deleted about 20gb of files, then filled it again. I ran several benches before and after deleting files and before and after running TRIM

no change, actually, performance remained high even with the drive nearly full to the brim (500mb free space)

I wonder if the intel MSM (RSM, actually) 9.5 drivers are passing TRIM.

To all, given that intel says it happens when TRIM is passed. I'm wondering, to those with failed drives:

Are you running Intel MSM Drivers or Microsoft Stock Drivers?

I'm not running Mass Storage Manager. I believe you only need MSM if you're running RAID. Since I only have SSD as the main drive, WD 640gb as a storage drive and only one burner all using regular SATA ports 0-2, I don't think there's a need for MSM.

My guess is the failure has to do with Windows 7, AHCI and possably the TRIM command. I just can't figure out how some systems worked fine and others didn't. Possably it was a bad batch of SSDs that were made or maybe the firmware installed differently on certain SSDs.

Well, I'm glad I'm still using trusty old Win XP!

Just set the Toolbox to run daily, and I've got performance as good as TRIM enabled Win7 with out any problems.

Maybe I'll wait a little longer before I upgrade to Win7. Initially I had planned to do it right on the launch day, but since TRIM wasn't out, and a few other things kept me busy, I waited.

So.... maybe for Xmas when they have ALL the kinks worked out with Win7 & SSD's!

Last edited:
so, those of you with working drives, are you letting the intel optimizer tool run?
I didn't set up a scheduled run when I did it the first time, and I'm hesitant to mess with it now

my storage settings are set to RAID so I know it's not running in real time

I thought that the optimizer tool was for those running older OS than Windows 7?
I thought that the whole point with Windows 7 is that the optimizing would be automatic.
Did I miss something?

I'm not running MSM or the stock Win 7 drivers. I have the Intel chipset inf drivers loaded. I'll check the version, etc when I get home this evening. I wish I knew a way to determine for sure if the Intel chipset drivers were passing trim commands properly.

I thought that the optimizer tool was for those running older OS than Windows 7?
I thought that the whole point with Windows 7 is that the optimizing would be automatic.
Did I miss something?

Yes and no. RAID controller drivers do not pass TRIM commands. So if you are running RAID you still need to use the optimizer. Single drive on the standard built in Windows 7 drivers should only need to run the optimizer once.

I'm not running Mass Storage Manager. I believe you only need MSM if you're running RAID. Since I only have SSD as the main drive, WD 640gb as a storage drive and only one burner all using regular SATA ports 0-2, I don't think there's a need for MSM.

My guess is the failure has to do with Windows 7, AHCI and possably the TRIM command. I just can't figure out how some systems worked fine and others didn't. Possably it was a bad batch of SSDs that were made or maybe the firmware installed differently on certain SSDs.

Isn't it Intel Matrix Storage Manager?

Did I miss something?

In the words of President Obama, "Let me be clear!". If using Windows 7 with the MSAHCI driver, then you do not need the Toolbox to run Optimizer because it's done natively in the OS.

Take a look at the top of page 5:
http://download.intel.com/support/ssdc/hpssd/sb/434471_intel_ssd_optimizer_white_paper.pdf

Back