Intel system running way too hot

Version_3

2[H]4U
I was just talking with a friend who had some issues with his intel system.

He has an E6850, a MSI P6N Diamond MoBo, an 8800GTS (G80) and Patriot XMS2 DDR2 800 2GB. Stock cooler on the C2D.

Everything is stock, no overclock.

He was telling me how a stick of his Patriot went out. System would hang during boot. Memtest threw off a bunch of stuff. He RMA'd the Patriot and got PNY 2GB from BB as a temp solution for ram.
The patriot was running at 4-4-4-12 but he say that it was running at 633MHz. For some reason, his board wouldn't allow just 1 stick or single channel.

He then told me that after putting in the new ram, his HDD's were popping off CRC errors. So he wiped them and put Vista 32-bit on.

So onto the real issue.
He says his cpu is running at 66-67 C at idle, no OC. He's checked to make sure the HSF is seated right and its fine. He says voltage is at 1.2(something, can't recall the rest). The temps were checked in the BIOS after a reboot, and also in Windows using the MSI monitoring app. I've asked him to try with CoreTemp to see what that says.

Now that temp seems way too high, but could his other issues indicate what might actually be wrong?

If 66C idle is a case airflow issue then he must be storing his PC inside a styrofoam box.

I'm using Patriot 4-4-4-12 DDR2 800 also, and i was having ram issues, but the cause is because 4-4-4-12 on the patriot requires 2.2V on the ram, if the default voltage is not 2.2V, you will get a lot of errors with the ram.

If 66C idle is a case airflow issue then he must be storing his PC inside a styrofoam box.

Thanks for the unhelpful sarcasm. Always best to run through the most basic solutions.

OP: Are the temp readings accurate and has he looked into the issue being his mobo?

OP: Are the temp readings accurate and has he looked into the issue being his mobo?

I asked him to check with CoreTemp tonight (since we're both at work still) so I'll know more later or tomorrow.

Its a possibility that its his mobo and we have our suspicions that maybe it really isn't that hot and the board is reading it wrong. The reason I'm looking towards hardware is because of the memory failure. I haven't seen a Patriot fail so dramatically causing CRC issues on HDD's.

EDIT: After trying to confirm with my friend on the board he has, and reading stuff on newegg, he actually tells me its a 650i chipset, so its the p6n PLATINUM not Diamond motherboard.

Well, update.

CoreTemp was reading 54*C. This is in Vista 32bit. Sidebar was running and there are 3 gadgets, clock, weather, and cpu monitor (all 3 the stock gadgets). He says at most it had a 10% load on the CPU.

yeah, I found other threads where the E6850 idles at 40C on a AC Freezer 7 Pro.

Thanks guys for the help. It looks as if its the sensor.

Back