"Intel VIIV"…what could that mean

Phantom

n00b
Whell it looks like intel decided to go back to roman numerals for there chips like the P III was remember they thought people were too stupid to know that IV is 4 so they named it the P4 instead of P IV. Now they are going back VI=6 IV=4 there for it is the intel 64, even though 64 is actually LXIV but then all would be lost on this concept :)

Where exactly did you hear or read this?

Intel is moving to model numbers for all their CPUs, not numerals. The upcoming CPUs supporting EM64T (64-bit extensions) will use model numbers - 3xx, 5xx, 6xx, and 8xx (dual-core).

EQTakeOffense said:
I personally like the dual core logic 2 petium 5's with a link bewteen them

VIIV

(5 II 5)

I like this idea but it could be a attempt at 64 also. VI = 6 IV =4 While 64 in roman numerals is LXIV VIIV looks much cooler :)

errr...the EM64T chips will add "1" to the end of every model line. EX: 561 denotes an EM64T chip whereas 560 is a pure Prescott (or whatever)

dave

dave_graham said:
errr...the EM64T chips will add "1" to the end of every model line. EX: 561 denotes an EM64T chip whereas 560 is a pure Prescott (or whatever)

dave

Correct. The upcoming 600 series CPUs will support EM64T also. They'll be numbered 620 thru 670.

The major difference between, say, a 561 and a 660 will be an extra 2MB L2 cache and the addition of EIST in the 660.

I also think that is has something to do with Dual Core Pentium 5's

I think their naming scheme is good... the Pentium 4 name has been out now since late 2000... thats a long time... I think its time for the Pentium 5 :)

Two Pentium 4s. Here's why...

On the first generation of the dual core chips, they designed one processor core (a prescott with some interconnects between chips), and they mirror one of the cores backwards so that the interconnects line up. Thus VI is IV backwards. It also happens to be 64, thats just some synergy.

can't wait, but i do remember some press about Intel copyrighting "Pentium 4" in about 1998.

It will probably be Intel Pentium 4 with Intel VIIV technology, or soemthing like it.

Back