IP35-E boot up problem

avnos

n00b
Hello [H],

After a few weeks of reading around here and saving some cash I finally slapped together a new gaming machine and all is working well for the most part. Few problems listed below which I would be grateful for any help.

Abit IP-35E mobo
C2D E6600
2GB DDR-2 800 Corsair ballistix

Don't know what other info is pertinent here, but anywho I decided to upgrade my bios to get rid of the dual boot problem. I believe I used the wrong version here because it didn't seem to fix that problem (filename m630a12). Anyway afterwards I tried to do a CMOS reset, by changing the CMOS jumpers from 1+2 to 2+3.... As per the manual:

1) Power off the system
2) Set pin -2 and pin-3 shorted by the jumper cap. Wait a few seconds. Set the jumper cap back to its default settings -- pin-1 and pin-2 shorted.
3) Power on the system..........

few more steps but they are related to over clocking issues.

I believe I did the above right, although I was slightly confused because with an older abit board I had to press the power button a few times while the pins were shorted.

Anyway the MAIN ERROR I'm getting on bootup is:

CPU is unworkable or has been changed please recheck-cpu soft menu

On boot up the E6600 is showing 266 FSB X 6.0 Multiplier. I havent even messed with overclocking yet so I assume this is a problem related to me changing the bios version....
and DDR2 is running at 798.

Any pointers here on
A) where to obtain the proper bios to fix the dual boot (the latest i had obtained from the abit website didn't fix it so I'm assuming theres a beta somewhere)
B) How to resolve the boot up error...... and
C) Any IP-35E specific advice on where to get started if I'm looking to start overclocking? (I've read the guide in the overclocking forums a few times, just curious of if theres a simple set of rules I can follow without the 5 page writeup.)
D) Why does the Multiplier on my CPU drop to 6x sometimes?

Heres a some screens of my CPU stats atm....

Thank you in advance

When you cleared your CMOS you will often get that message "CPU is unworkable or has been changed please recheck-cpu soft menu". I know I got that on my old ABIT IC7-G, which also used the Phoenix Award Bios. It isn't too much to be worried about. Going into the bios and saving I think will get rid of that message.

For the 266 FSB X 6.0 issue on bootup, check in the bios if Intel Speedstep (might show up as EIST) was turned on. I don't recall where this setting is in the bios but if you poke around you should find it. Basically this lowers your multiplier when your computer is idle or near idle to lower power usage. It's not a bad thing to have on, although if you are in the process of overclocking and trying to find stability, most people recommend to turn it off, and some don't bother to turn it back on.

I don't use an IP35 based board, from what I read it was the version 13 bios that fixed the double boot issue (yours was the version 12) and it doesn't seem to be an official release yet. Try the abit forums if you want to look for it.

For overclocking, I personally mostly just followed the guide on the overclocking forums. I tweaked a bit later on, but it was good for the most part.

Back