Is AMD Stuck In The PAST? - Linus Tech Tips

Status
Not open for further replies.
in the retro thread sure and laptops still have zifs(twist lock, not slide lock with arms).

Is this the retro thread? And you think people are switching out laptop CPUs anywhere near as much as desktop CPUs, if it's not soldered?

intel wasnt/isnt always lga. anyone thats worked with any type of zif socket should know. maybe im old...

You're probably are 'old' as i am then. Who else misses ZIF? SOOooo easy compared to modern CPU insertion procedures... or am I that old?!?!?!

With the absolutely colossal and completely dominating success of the Intel Comet Lake release, Linus has a Hot Take proclaiming that AMD is all but stuck in the past.

"Why does AMD still use pins on their CPUs? Leave a reply with your requests for future episodes, or tweet them."

Thread title changed so that it is accurate as to the content.

Is this the retro thread? And you think people are switching out laptop CPUs anywhere near as much as desktop CPUs, if it's not soldered?
good god man, nitpick much? was giving examples of all the places they still are used/exist. anyone that has used ANY amd chip in the last 20+ years should know this, the sockets are basically the same.

nitpick much? was giving examples of all the places they still are used/exist. anyone that has used ANY amd chip in the last 20+ years should know this, the sockets are basically the same.

You said "I don't see that many people here complaining" and when I pointed out "that could be because they use LGA instead" you went on this goal-post moving turkey hunt. Take the L and move on.

I wonder what paste people who have this problem are using.

In my close to 30 years of doing this, I've never had my paste harden and get stuck.

Maybe I just tinker with things too often, so paste never sits on long enough to harden? :p

I seen it and had it done to me a few times on old HP/Compaq 754/939 sockets PC's with the factory paste.

Linus, I like your videos and even this could have been a nice educational piece, but this clickbait headline is just low.

I wonder what paste people who have this problem are using.

In my close to 30 years of doing this, I've never had my paste harden and get stuck.

Maybe I just tinker with things too often, so paste never sits on long enough to harden? :p
I actually forgot about that little issue. I havent had the problem in a good 10 years now at least, but I remember back in the days I was doing a lot of stuff with AMD socket 939 and AM2 that I had 2-3 times the paste kept such a strong bond to the cooler on top of the IHS that when pulling the tower cooler out, it ripped the CPU up with it out of the socket. I suppose that is a benefit of the LGA that Intel uses, the retention clip over the whole IHS does prevent that from ever happening.
Then again, Id say thermal paste must be made differently now, cause I have removed CPUs in the past 10 years and never had that issue in the time, yet on socket 939 it would happen within just months of installing the cooler. I believe I was using Arctic Silver or MX-2 back then. Back when they were the bees knees of thermal pastes. lol

edit: thinking about it a minute more, I have only used two system with AMD CPUs in the past 10 years though, since Intel had been dominating. So maybe it still is an issue since I dont really change coolers every few months now days either.

Last edited:
I actually forgot about that little issue. I havent had the problem in a good 10 years now at least, but I remember back in the days I was doing a lot of stuff with AMD socket 939 and AM2 that I had 2-3 times the paste kept such a strong bond to the cooler on top of the IHS that when pulling the tower out it ripped the CPU up with it out of the socket. I suppose that is a benefit of the LGA that Intel uses, the retention clip over the whole IHS does prevent that from ever happening.
Then again, Id say thermal paste must be made differently now, cause I have removed CPUs in the past 10 years and never had that issue in the time, yet on socket 939 it would happen within just months of installing the cooler. I believe I was using Arctic Silver or MX-2 back then. Back when they were the bees knees of thermal pastes. lol

edit: thinking about it a minute more, I have only used two system with AMD CPUs in the past 10 years though, since Intel had been dominating. So maybe it still is an issue since I dont really change coolers every few months now days either.
Could be a case of learning the proper amount of paste to use as well. I've run into sticky situations within the past 10 years messing with nub enthusiasts' builds; using what seemed like the whole supplied tube or what was on the stock cooler was almost always the cause (excessive paste beading around all edges of the IHS seems to make for a good vacuum effect).

It's not the pins that is the problem it is the retaining mechanism that lets the cooler rip out the cpu from the socket when removing it. After ripping out the cpu on two out of two cooler removals on my x570 I have to say I preferred intel's mechanism.

Hate to break it to Intel, if you see AMD behind you, you aren't winning... You're about to get lapped.

Lapped my 3770K's IHS and HSF so I could get it a few degrees cooler...man, that paste in place of solder in their older processors was the worst bean-counter mistake they made, IMO. And that is one more reason why AMD is about to lap Intel in the big race.

My wallet is ready and waiting for a Ryzen (4700X?) and X670 later this year.

In regards to LTT's stance: PGA vs LGA has never bothered me. I can work with either. Seems trivial, at best, to bring focus to just that as a way to try and elevate one brand over the other. Enjoy your Intel-sponsored paycheck, Linus. Now go buy some superior AMD processing gear.

I like pins on the mobo but don't really care either way.

And people need to relax about the title, who cares. Linus has been talking up AMD/Ryzen for years now, he kills Intel all the time in his videos. Don't have to be so sensitive about a 5 minute tech quickie.

I only prefer not having pins on the CPU because it makes them easier to clean paste off of when removing
How the hell do you get paste on the pins?
CPU-paste-method.gif

How the hell do you get paste on the pins?
View attachment 242354
Your image shows applying paste.
I’m talking about cleaning paste off. Completely different action and is in fact harder to do. I have giant hands and can’t reach the CPU in socket to clean it. I have to remove it, but cleaning it while removed with a pinned cpu is difficult.

Everyone knows a simple twist is all you need, irrespective of socket. Common sense
That has absolutely nothing to do with what i'm talking about. I'm not talking about removing the cooler. I'm talking about cleaning the paste off.

I like pins on the mobo but don't really care either way.
For me it's about whats more expensive to replace. I'd rather bend a $150 Mobo pin than a $500 CPU pin. So Intel gets the nod here, but I wouldn't have any concerns with AMD CPU installation - unless you dropped it by accident seems pretty hard to screw up.

Your image shows applying paste.
I’m talking about cleaning paste off. Completely different action and is in fact harder to do. I have giant hands and can’t reach the CPU in socket to clean it. I have to remove it, but cleaning it while removed with a pinned cpu is difficult.
His video actually show putting paste below the pins, on the socket itself. Which is absolutely the wrong way to do it. It funn y cause your post makes it sound like you think applying paste into the socket is how it is supposed to go, but Im guessing you really just didnt look closely enough at the gif.
N4CR's question was about how you manage to get paste on the cpu pins itself, not really about the ease of whether someone can get their hands in to clean off the CPU while it is in the case. I do wonder myself too how anyone gets paste on the pins

His video actually show putting paste below the pins, on the socket itself. Which is absolutely the wrong way to do it. It funn y cause your post makes it sound like you think applying paste into the socket is how it is supposed to go, but Im guessing you really just didnt look closely enough at the gif.
N4CR's question was about how you manage to get paste on the cpu pins itself, not really about the ease of whether someone can get their hands in to clean off the CPU while it is in the case. I do wonder myself too how anyone gets paste on the pins

I literally never said anything about getting paste on the pins or getting paste in the socket. If you guys want to talk about how you paste a CPU please stop involving me in the conversation.

The issue is when you are holding the CPU cleaning off the old paste you have to worry about bending the pins, because old paste does not clean off easily. With a pinless CPU you can pretty much man handle the thing and easily wipe off the old paste.

Yes, you can avoid this by keeping the thing in the socket when cleaning, but not everyone has small enough hands to do this.

I literally never said anything about getting paste on the pins or getting paste in the socket.

The issue is when you are holding the CPU cleaning off the old paste you have to worry about bending the pins, because old paste does not clean off easily. With a pinless CPU you can pretty much man handle the thing and easily wipe off the old paste.

Yes, you can avoid this by keeping the thing in the socket when cleaning, but not everyone has small enough hands to do this.
What is going on with people? You do it when it's warm. Everything wipes right off. It's pretty easy actually.

I literally never said anything about getting paste on the pins or getting paste in the socket.

Just put the CPU on a dry sponge or similar surface when cleaning, problem solved. I always kept antistatic yoga mat cut to fit my desktop so electronics were safe from hitting something hard and damaging components.

What is going on with people? You do it when it's warm. Everything wipes right off. It's pretty easy actually.

Absolutely not true depending on the type of paste after it's a year+ old.

Just put the CPU on a dry sponge or similar surface when cleaning, problem solved. I always kept antistatic yoga mat cut to fit my desktop so electronics were safe from hitting something hard and damaging components.

You don't worry about the pins getting damaged when jammed into the sponge, or any residue being left on the pins from the sponge?

You don't worry about the pins getting damaged when jammed into the sponge, or any residue being left on the pins from the sponge?
No. And don't use a sponge you just cleaned out the casserole dish with. That all said I have cleaned many on a hard surface as well. This whole discussion is beyond idiotic imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back