Is anyone excited about the 40GB Kingston SSD

xnorthx

Limp Gawd
coming tomorrow?

I've been reading up alot on SSD's lately and been tryin to familiarize myself with what's good and what's not. As someone who has zero experience with them, it's all a bit overwhelming.

If this drive does show up at the ~115 US dollar price point (80-something after rebates), I think I'm going to take the plunge. This drive is supposed to have the latest intel hardware inside so that's a definite plus.

Does anyone have a good guide for properly getting one of these new SSDs in great working order on Windows 7?

The biggest issue is that I need about a 60-80gb OS drive to be comfortable...40gb just is not quite big enough.

Nice to see some cheaper good performing alternatives though if this is true.

The biggest issue is that I need about a 60-80gb OS drive to be comfortable...40gb just is not quite big enough.

Nice to see some cheaper good performing alternatives though if this is true.

I have to agree with this. I guess it depends what you want to use your SSD for. I don't have one yet but I want it to store my OS and all my games and most of my programs. Right now that is how I have my C: drive setup and I'm using 127 GB. I could thin out my programs and games but I don't want to have to. Windows 7 is taking up about 16 GB right now.

Me too. With W7 and my primary games/apps, I'm already at about 60GB. I would also need to get a faster storage drive to use for my photos, so I'm holding off on SSDs ATM.

You guys may be right... I have COD4 and BF2 installed in addition to some other crap and i'm already at 60gb. :(

I just can't see paying 200 plus dollars for only 60gb of space.

That's just perfect for a Server 2008 (R2) setup.
On desktop and laptop I have to wait for price of 120GB models to hit the sweet spot... Wouldn't go for anything less.

For the right price, I'm all over this drive. But it needs to be sufficiently cheap to justify the slower performance.

I am torn on this drive the price is right but size and performance are lacking. I am not sure if I should jump on it or wait out INTEL and OCZ to get volume up so I can get an agility or X25G2 near MSRP at reliable place. I really want the agility 120GB but the prices are insane right now.

Ughh.. I'm not sure why some of you are so concerned about synthetic benchmarks. This is a 40 gig drive meant for operating system with a game or two, and you would pretty much need an additional hard drive for storage unless you are running a netbook or something extremely light. If you are running a rotating hard drive right now, this "slow" SSD will blow the living crap out of whatever you have. The jump from rotating hard drives to the 40GB Kingston is huge, but the jump between the 40 GB Kingston to the Intel G2 in comparison to rotating hard drives is no where as big in real life performance. And for $100, you really can't go wrong with this.

This drive only uses 5 out of 10 channels. You are wasting the power of the controller. A 30 GB Agility would probably be faster

It's going to be $86 on Wednesday on Newegg. Their "Shell Shocker" deal.

This drive only uses 5 out of 10 channels. You are wasting the power of the controller. A 30 GB Agility would probably be faster

So if it were using 5 out of 5 channels it makes a difference because it isn't wasting the power of the controller? Its design is a crippled G2 that is extremely cheap relative to other SSD's, 'nuff said. As for the 30 Gig Agility, it sure is faster with a higher price tag and 25% less capacity. Losing 10 gigs on a 120 gig system isn't much, but we are talking about 30 gigs here; Windows 7 will take up almost 9. And at $86 NewEgg shellshocker, you can pick up 2 of these for RAID0 and be above the Agility for only a few dollars more.

Again, we need to realize that this thing will be much cheaper than the competition. For everyone still on rotating hard drives, and don't want to pay $4.83/gig (Intel G2 60 gig @ $290), paying $3.00/gig (Kingston 40 gig @ $120) is a bit easier to swallow ($2.15 if you get the NewEgg shellshocker deal). You'll get a HUGE performance gain, and while you won't be getting the best SSD out there, you'll still be a hell of a lot better off.

Again, we need to realize that this thing will be much cheaper than the competition. For everyone still on rotating hard drives, and don't want to pay $4.83/gig (Intel G2 60 gig @ $290), paying $3.00/gig (Kingston 40 gig @ $120) is a bit easier to swallow ($2.15 if you get the NewEgg shellshocker deal). You'll get a HUGE performance gain, and while you won't be getting the best SSD out there, you'll still be a hell of a lot better off.

The intel drive is 80 gigs, $3.63 a gig at the current inflated prices. When it was going for $239 it was $2.99 a gig

I just installed Windows 7 and a bare bones set of programs and games it took up 28Gb of space and I haven't even installed Office or any of the other things I use.

I can't get excited about any SSD drive under 160Gb.

I decided to purchase one last hard drive, a 2Tb 7,200rpm model, but it probably will be the last one I ever do, once the SSD technology matures.. (hopefully).

I just installed Windows 7 and a bare bones set of programs and games it took up 28Gb of space and I haven't even installed Office or any of the other things I use.

I can't get excited about any SSD drive under 160Gb.

I decided to purchase one last hard drive, a 2Tb 7,200rpm model, but it probably will be the last one I ever do, once the SSD technology matures.. (hopefully).

Turn off system restore, hibernation and make your page file smaller?

Oops, your right on the Intel numbers currently, should have been 80 gigs. As for inflated prices, it sure is, but unfortunately, we are talking about the here and now. That $86 NewEgg price that Kingston lists on their page is a here and now price too so get them while you can.

Turn off system restore, hibernation and make your page file smaller?

Oh yeah, 4 gigs of ram = 4 gig hiberation file. Burn off backup too.

At $115 is is tempting...until you realize that a Windows 7 64-bit install will eat almost half of that. Add in two games and some apps and you're suddenly outo of space. That's why I went with the Agility 60GB: just the right amount of space.

In addition, the write performance really hinders you in file copy

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/11/09/review_storage_kingston_ssd_now_v_40gb/page3.html:

If you install Win 7 and turn off the features you don't need, it won't eat up half the disk, no need to hibernate a desktop, sys restore might be nice, but you don't need it.

As for the file copy, shouldn't you be copying your large files to your separate storage drive? This is the boot drive.

If you install Win 7 and turn off the features you don't need, it won't eat up half the disk, no need to hibernate a desktop, sys restore might be nice, but you don't need it.

As for the file copy, shouldn't you be copying your large files to your separate storage drive? This is the boot drive.

Okay, good point, the DVD-ROM will probably still be the hindering factor in game installs, and even if it's not, you can just walk away.

But 40GB is still 40GB - you'd be constantly scrounging for space, unless you only keep one or two games installed at a time.

I've swapped the 80gb intel out for this one in my standard desktop deployment. Win7 and all the apps we use in the office is well under 30gb and users don't store files on the local machine.

i have to agree on the capacity issue,i just installed a patriot 32 g warp and am going to
get another as you seem to run out of space quickly,at least i can try ssd's in raid.

If you do it right, 40 gigs is enough for the OS (9-15 gigs) and 2 games. The rest need to be saved on another hard drive, but if you use symbolic links, you are pretty much set. It basically points one folder to another so if you install a game on your SSD, you can later move that folder to a WD Black and use symbolic links to point the moved SSD game to the WD Black.

I wonder if it's worth buying for OS only, including all temp folders. I have a 10 krpm with 300 GB that can be left for games and applications.

By the way, immediately after my Windows 7 Professional 64-bit install I checked the space used on my 160Gb Seagate. It was 15.1Gb if I remember correctly. Then I installed Steam and the Arcview suite and I was quickly over 28Gb.

By the way, immediately after my Windows 7 Professional 64-bit install I checked the space used on my 160Gb Seagate. It was 15.1Gb if I remember correctly. Then I installed Steam and the Arcview suite and I was quickly over 28Gb.

Again, you need to disable some features. For example, the hiberation feature makes a file that is as big as your ram so if you have 6 gigs of ram, the hiberation system file is 6 gigs. Disabling this feature will free up that space. This isn't a traditional hard drive, you need to take certain steps to reap all the benefits of SSD goodness.

should be a fantastic choice for your average office machine

That's so true. I have lots of office computers and all have 40 Gb hdd. Most is only 25-30% full so this SSD will be perfect.

For a power user or a gamer, I think 80 Gb is the minimum to consider.

I have a question, I leave my PC on 24/7, no sleep mode or hibernation, would that shorten the lifespan of the SSD drives? Or is that irrelevant? Thinking of RAID'ing a few of these Kingstons.

I am very excited for it :)

Ive been wanting to try out an SSD on my desktop for a while now

It's going to be $86 on Wednesday on Newegg. Their "Shell Shocker" deal.

Does anyone know when the shell shocker becomes active? It's 4pm EST for the afternoon deal. What about the morning one? Midnight?

Yeah. Another problem is that there's only about 16GB left after W7 install, which hardly seems enough for apps/games.

If you optimize the hard drive (adjust paging, disable hiberation, etc...) you can definately get Windows 7 to install under 12 Gigs, possibily as low as 9 gigs. I know we talked about it in the links provided which gives a bit more information. You'll have to read around but the information is there and pertains directly to this SSD.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1467472
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1467791

Back