Is DFI P-965-S friendly to newbie OCer as well?

rybeck

Limp Gawd
Never done OC yet, but i am considering for next rig I am planning, and read a lot how great this board this is.

Can someone comment on that?

Thanks a lot~

Never done OC yet, but i am considering for next rig I am planning, and read a lot how great this board this is.

Can someone comment on that?

Thanks a lot~

Very good question. The simple answer is the whole thing is trial and error and slow steps. Remember, everyone who over clocks had their first time as well.

The good news is, DFI by in large is known for motherboards that over clock well and as such a quick Google search as well as a forum search right here will probably yield you some great information as far as basic BIOS settings, cooling what are safe temps etc.

Keeping in mind that half of over clocking is 50% experience, 25% component choice and the rest is pure luck. Nothing is ever guaranteed as to what results you will get or even what to expect.

There have been many nights when I have stayed up all night as have many other here trying to get that last MHZ out of the system.

That said, you will either love it or hate it or it will become like many marriages a love hate thing all in one. Above all be patient. Build slowly and carefully, make sure you have a big enough high quality PSU and cooling for the CPU and after that just have fun with it.

I over clocked my first machine in 1985 and haven’t quit yet and each time it’s a new experience.

Have fun;)

DFI does not make good boards for beginners. There are just so many options, many of them dependent on one another; I'd start with a "simpler" board, and then perhaps sell it and upgrade later on.

DFI does not make good boards for beginners. There are just so many options, many of them dependent on one another; I'd start with a "simpler" board, and then perhaps sell it and upgrade later on.

Well, maybe, but with the DFI board he can leave all the really tweeky stuff set to [auto] in the bios and get a good solid FSB over clock.

After that, like anything else it’s a learning experience and that board should, as it’s popularity grows become a great learning tool.

How far he wants to push it is up to him and that board will either give him all the choices he wants or as few as he needs.

No doubt he will get more opinions then he needs which is what usually happens in this sort of thread, but eventually he will learn.:D

And, as an example:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1181751

Keeping in mind that half of over clocking is 50% experience, 25% component choice and the rest is pure luck. Nothing is ever guaranteed as to what results you will get or even what to expect.
Build slowly and carefully, make sure you have a big enough high quality PSU and cooling for the CPU and after that just have fun with it.

Thanks a lot for sincere reply BillR...
My OC plan is minimum as you may guess at this point, and hope to find "stable" OC motherboard, and I landed on DFI.
Speaking of PSU, I'd like to ask how much should be big enough according to my plan:

e6600 (or e6700)
DFI P965-S
8GB (4 sticks of 2GB; DDR2 800 or faster)
Low to Mid range vid card (i.e. nVidia 79xx or 86xx series)
3 or 4 SATA HDDs

I prefer modular style as I am happy with mine (NEO 480w) so far...
Will be glad to hear that.

JK

good luck with your build. my last, and only, 3 builds have been AMD machines. This will be my first Intel, and my first computer with intentions of OC'ing. I chose the 965-s as well (almost pulled the trigger on the evga 680i lite).

These will be nice trial by fire boards to learn off of. :D

good luck with your build. my last, and only, 3 builds have been AMD machines. This will be my first Intel, and my first computer with intentions of OC'ing. I chose the 965-s as well (almost pulled the trigger on the evga 680i lite).

These will be nice trial by fire boards to learn off of. :D

Thanks... I realize you have nice components I was looking for... (i.e. 150GB Raptor, Firestix ddr2-1000, and of course DFIp965-s... :) )
What was ur choice for PSU, if you don't mind?

The silverstone strider 750 watt
I wanted to go with a corsair 620, but I caught a deal on this.

this is a great board and overclocks well
it has alot more settings than other boards which is nice
if you need to do some serious tweaking
but its just as easy to overclock as other boards
Great board for the money its one of the best

I'll tell man.... it's been a cpl years since I OCed anything hardcore I had this rig up to 2.75 not bad for a 3000+ 939 but still the DFI board I found was hard as shit. Sooooo many things. I like the 965 a lot I might get it but I'm kinda freaked out with all the options it has I hate to think oh shit I missed one or what did I forget this time..

long story short if you want an easy OCing board go for the Asus 650i I've heard excellent things based on just how easy it is. go to legend hardwares website and I think the article is called extremely easy 6300 overclocking. Something like that might be up your alley.

The only thing about the DFI 965 board thats not beginer friendly are its voltage options.... It gives you options that will kill your components so carefull....... Most boards you can max all voltage option and be fine, but not this........

good luck finding a place that has them in stock :)
I added my e-mail to item notifying e-mail list on Newegg.com... Hope they get some sooner or later~ :)

The only thing about the DFI 965 board thats not beginer friendly are its voltage options.... It gives you options that will kill your components so carefull....... Most boards you can max all voltage option and be fine, but not this........
Wow... this is first "warning" I got, and thanks for pointing that. I will digg upon more detail but by chance anyone can provide some kind of route to start OC for newbie?

Back