is hellgate worth getting now?

kingdomwinds

Limp Gawd
I initially ignored hellgate because of the unfinished nature of the game. But is it worth playing now? I heard they give 24 character slots to free suscribers now.

Im a diablo 2 fan and loved that game for the pvp. But that game is so old, filled with hackers, and has lots of lag. I saw some hellgate pvp videos and it looked exciting. But is this game worth picking up?

Basically, I am only interested in pvp. I am sick of all my FPS games so i need something new.

also, is subscribing worth it for hellgate? Or is it better to play it free

I've been playing HGL for about 1 day now, and i can't get it off my mind. I'm not a big fan of online gameplay with people I don't know, or PvP, so i can't tell you if it's good in that respect.

The single player campaign in great so far though. All the elements of the game need to be documented a lot more. I strongly suggest reading on the forums for a few hours before starting. The biggest piece of advice is, the skill tree and attributes are NOT like Diablo. As far as I understand there is no minimun stats for any gear, you just have a stat pool. You can have 25 strength, and that new spiffy piece of armor requires 20 strength. You now have only 5 strength points to allocate to other items. In effect it comes down to, don't use your stat points until you have an item that requires more points in something. I probably explained it poorly, so like I said, read the forums.

After thought: The only bug I've run into is with my audio. it didn't like my sound card, which is about 3-4 years old(SB Audigy MP3+), and 5.1 sound. Threw it into stereo sound and everything works great. I haven't put any effort into fixing the audio problem, I'm fine with stereo sound. No other bugs, crashes or lags.

From all things I keep hearing about, HG:L is vastly improved now than when it was first launched. Many people love the game nowadays. In Korea, it went from the worst seller ever to the number 3 most played game.

FWIW, I think it's worth a shot with the non-paying membership at the very least. After that you can gauge for yourself if you wanna pay the monthly fee.

There is no real PvP in Hellgate, so if that's your primary interest, I'd pass on it.

Aside from that Hellgate is great the first time through. . . but it really gets old fast. After getting some level 50's which only take about a week each, it's pretty hard to get back into the game. I'm also kinda upset that FSS looks to be trying to make everything a grind fest which is certainly what the current sub-only content is.

what do you mean by no real pvp? I have seen some vids of ppl going 1 on 1 against each other

Back