is it just me or have lcd prices gone up to the moon?

JVC

[H]ard|Gawd
can't buy anything decent for $500 these days! am i just browsing the wrong web site?

Depends on what you call "decent"... Overall the prices have gone down quite a bit imho. Never before have i seen 22" LCDs for $189 (Bestbuy Weekly Ad couple weeks ago).

High quality displays are expensive, as they have always been. Nothing has gone up. The $189 screens of today were $550 screens of yesterday

I think expectations have gone up, not prices. A couple years back everyone was looking at 17" and 20" lcd's, now everyone seems to be looking for 22" and up.

24 inches seems like it will become the new "popular" size with manufacturers, and manufacturers will always charge a premium for the newer products, of course panel + parts prices are higher on 24" lcd's.

and who buys low quality 22s?
Many would argue that most of the current 22" lcd's are roughly the same quality, and most use the same panel (chimei)

I have noticed the opposite trend... Weren't the 2407WFP's from Dell at least $800 when they were released, if not closer to $1000?

I just bought one for $569, and I love it. </shameless plug> :D

I think the highest-quality new release products will always be expensive, because they are new and interesting, and enthusiasts everywhere drool for new and interesting. Something like "charge what the market will bear" comes to mind. Overall, prices seem to have gone down much more quickly (percentage-wise) than in other consumer niches, at least to my observation...

Considering I paid over $400 for each of my 17" TN panel monitors a little over 3 years ago, and I just paid around $200 for each of my 22" TN panels a couple of weeks ago, I would say that prices are down.

As far as spending >$500 on a great S-IPS panel goes... Well, I would love to have a couple of those panels, but alas, I can not afford them. I will say that I believe the quality of the current TN panels is greater than the quality of TN panels from 3 years ago.

Not everyone can have the greatest of the great, and some will be disappointed by that. I on the other hand will be happy with what I have, and will continue to look for creative ways to upgrade on the cheap.

The funny thing is that on this forum, mediocre/poor is still far better than what most of the "normal" population has.

Benq 24inch LCD opened at $1700 in OZ 8months ago, now they're $1050.
DELL 27in LCD opened at $2000, they were on special last week for $1400.

i have a 20.1" samsung 204b monitor. i can't get more with only $500, that sucks.:( :) thanks all.

Benq 24inch LCD opened at $1700 in OZ 8months ago, now they're $1050.
DELL 27in LCD opened at $2000, they were on special last week for $1400.

Increased resolution is awesome, but why is the gap between mainstream and high performance monitors still a 2 to 1?

Wasnt there a story awhile back about the LCD manufacturers fixing prices? The small screens are coming down, but the 1920x1200/1080 panels are still ridiculous.

soap prices went to the moon back in WW2 germany, but i've seen LCD's fall in price lately...at least the 24" LCD's have fell in price

haha, It's funny that you guys are whining about prices. You live in America, for god's sake.

Get a job, get payed, buy whatever you want!

Where I live a 24" LCD costs more than 1300$. Average wage is around 370$.

Is there any chance of 24" monitor falling around the $400-500 area by next fall? I've been itching to replace my 19" CRT, FE991SB, with a 24" monitor, but they're still too pricey for $550-600. Especially considering those in that price range are no longer S-IPS monitors...

24" monitors are ready in the 400-500$ range. You can find new acers 24" for under 500$ and new dell 2407 sells for around 550$. Can probably pick up some used ones from [H] in excellent condition for even less.

I noticed that the Apple 30" display which was $3200 when introduced is now down to $1499.. I think the Dell one was $3200 also and is now down to probably $1499 as well.

When I researching 24" LCDs, the NEC LCD2490WUXi was ~$1230 U.S (early April). When I bought it, it was $1290 (late April). It's now $1330 at the same place I bought it, which is still the cheapest place. The next cheapest place is $1370.

Not sure why it's going up though. Typically, it's supply and demand that drives prices, but in this situation, it might be higher fuel costs.

dear god no. i wish they'd make 22" and 20" s-ips panels. wide viewing angle for the masses!

There are several 20"WS ips panels on the market, notably the Dell 2007WFP and the NEC 20WMGX2.

Although I agree about the 22", it is a good size for a gamer who doesnt want to spend a lot on a video card but still have a big widescreen.

4 years ago i bought a SONY SDMX73 for AUD$1k, i can get a dell 24 for the same price. prices have come down.

Increased resolution is awesome, but why is the gap between mainstream and high performance monitors still a 2 to 1?

Wasnt there a story awhile back about the LCD manufacturers fixing prices? The small screens are coming down, but the 1920x1200/1080 panels are still ridiculous.

Not sure, wouldn't surprize me.
I think the 1080 panel prices have staying power because HD-DVD and BD have just come out.
I saw a Sony and Samsung 26inch LCD TV running 576p, and it was impressive, so if any of the 8bit 24's/27's look as good, I'll be more than happy.
I'll be buying a heap of stuff in Q4.

The samsung 244t was over $2K at one time, now only $800 or so. The bad news is, I have my eyes on the 30", and still waiting for the price to drop.

Back