Is it posable that the AMD Intermittent System Stutter Experienced with fTPM caused data loss? High SSD temps?

Tanquen

[H]ard|Gawd
Intermittent System Stutter Experienced with fTPM Enabled on Windows® 10 and 11

I have an AMD setup that had been fine for the last 2 years or so but a few months back I upgraded to Win11 on a work boot drive and a boot drive for gaming. Both are NVMe SSDs.

About a month ago I had a few large CD ISO files go bad and had to download them again. Then a few weeks ago a number of VM files went missing and others were corrupted 0 bytes. Out of 6 VMs only one showed up in VMware Workstation and had all the files but still would not boot. Luckily I'd just backed them up to the NAS.

I don't know if the RAM or CPU are having issues. I ran Prime95 for a few days with no errors.

I'd not looked at motherboard firmware for some time and sure enough there was one for the AMD fTPM issue. After installing it the system seems a little more responsive.

The second data loss and corruption was with the VMs files. On Friday I backed them all up and then when I went to use it again on Monday files where missing and others corrupt.

Over that weekend I did use the PC but I used the other boot drive for that. I've had it setup this way almost 3 years. The work boot SSD is not mounted in when using the gaming boot drive. I don't have any hacked apps just play games from Steam and Epic and so on.
But the VMs are on that game boot drive. About a month ago I upgraded from a 2TB SN850 to a 4TB SN850X. I've been using that Game boot drive from extra VM drive space with the 2TB and now the 4TB version.
It seems fine but the system seemed fine for the last 3 yeas.

Could cutting power after the PC is off be an issue? The Game boot drive had issues shutting down. It would randomly reboot after a time. Only that Game boot drive though. I had gotten in the habit of turning off the power supply after gaming.

On the one hand I feel like it could be the drives. There are a few folks that have had bad WD SN850 and SN850X drives. The SMART stats all look good but the older 2TB SN850 can no longer run the SMART test without failing but I'm no longer using it. The new 4TB SN850X can run both the long and short tests but it's the one with the file issues. Also, that same Monday the older Samsung work only SSD that I had also upgraded to Win11 stopped booting into Windows. I can't repair it and it says there are no restore points. The Samsung software says there are no errors but they don't let you run a SMART test. I can mount the drive in another OS and read the files.

Random issues stink.

Do you think it could be temperature related? I'd not really thought about it as all the m.2 SSDs have a heatsink that came with the motherboard installed but looking at the SN850 and SN850X they idle at 40-50 °C and when coping lots of files they get up to 70-75 °C.

There is a bit of back and forth on weather it's better for them to be warm or cold. Like the controller on the SSD should be cooled if you can but the NAND should be hot to write but cold to better retain data. So as usual you can't win. :(

I have an AMD setup that had been fine for the last 2 years or so but a few months back I upgraded to Win11 on a work boot drive and a boot drive for gaming. Both are NVMe SSDs.

About a month ago I had a few large CD ISO files go bad and had to download them again. Then a few weeks ago a number of VM files went missing and others were corrupted 0 bytes. Out of 6 VMs only one showed up in VMware Workstation and had all the files but still would not boot. Luckily I'd just backed them up to the NAS.

I don't know if the RAM or CPU are having issues. I ran Prime95 for a few days with no errors.

I'd not looked at motherboard firmware for some time and sure enough there was one for the AMD fTPM issue. After installing it the system seems a little more responsive.

The second data loss and corruption was with the VMs files. On Friday I backed them all up and then when I went to use it again on Monday files where missing and others corrupt.

Over that weekend I did use the PC but I used the other boot drive for that. I've had it setup this way almost 3 years.

Which mobo? CPU?
The work boot SSD is not mounted in when using the gaming boot drive. I don't have any hacked apps just play games from Steam and Epic and so on.
But the VMs are on that game boot drive. About a month ago I upgraded from a 2TB SN850 to a 4TB SN850X. I've been using that Game boot drive from extra VM drive space with the 2TB and now the 4TB version.

So it hardly seems like older the hardware, unless something just went bad. Maybe it's new new SN850X?

Could cutting power after the PC is off be an issue? The Game boot drive had issues shutting down. It would randomly reboot after a time. Only that Game boot drive though. I had gotten in the habit of turning off the power supply after gaming.

The new drive?
On the one hand I feel like it could be the drives. There are a few folks that have had bad WD SN850 and SN850X drives. The SMART stats all look good but the older 2TB SN850 can no longer run the SMART test without failing but I'm no longer using it.

So did you pull that drive out of your system?
The new 4TB SN850X can run both the long and short tests but it's the one with the file issues. Also, that same Monday the older Samsung work only SSD that I had also upgraded to Win11 stopped booting into Windows. I can't repair it and it says there are no restore points. The Samsung software says there are no errors but they don't let you run a SMART test. I can mount the drive in another OS and read the files.

Random issues stink.

Agreed. What if you did a re-install of Windows?
Do you think it could be temperature related? I'd not really thought about it as all the m.2 SSDs have a heatsink that came with the motherboard installed but looking at the SN850 and SN850X they idle at 40-50 °C and when coping lots of files they get up to 70-75 °C.

There is a bit of back and forth on weather it's better for them to be warm or cold. Like the controller on the SSD should be cooled if you can but the NAND should be hot to write but cold to better retain data. So as usual you can't win. :(
Huh? What kind of product would be released with component performance like that?

Was on gigabyte X570 AORUS XTREME (rev. 1.1) and AMD 5950x CPU.

? It just seems odd that the new SN850X has missing files but it's the older SN850 that can't run the SMART tests.

Both, they are both on the same PC. When running the GAME boot drive, the SN850X.

I got two of the 1.8TB Samsung 990 Pro drives on ($170) sale. I removed the SN850 but the SN850X is still in there but I'm not using it. WD immediately offered to replace them both, but their site is all messed up at the moment. Just using the new 990 Pros. The SN850X is under the RTX4090. I hope MB manufactures add the ability to disable M.2 devices in the BIOS, removing them to install Windows or otherwise troubleshoot is lame.

I'm running Win11 on the 2 new 990 Pro drives now.

I don't know man. There are some studies that show that the NAND like high temps for writing but data once written is more stable if the NAND is cold. So folks are left asking if they should install a heatsink or not.

Is COOLING Your SSD A MISTAKE?

Last edited:

Over that weekend I did use the PC but I used the other boot drive for that. I've had it setup this way almost 3 years. The work boot SSD is not mounted in when using the gaming boot drive. I don't have any hacked apps just play games from Steam and Epic and so on.

On the one hand I feel like it could be the drives. There are a few folks that have had bad WD SN850 and SN850X drives. The SMART stats all look good but the older 2TB SN850 can no longer run the SMART test without failing but I'm no longer using it. The new 4TB SN850X can run both the long and short tests but it's the one with the file issues. Also, that same Monday the older Samsung work only SSD that I had also upgraded to Win11 stopped booting into Windows. I can't repair it and it says there are no restore points. The Samsung software says there are no errors but they don't let you run a SMART test. I can mount the drive in another OS and read the files.

Random issues stink.

With errors across multiple drives, I would suspect other hardware, such as RAM.

Did you also upgrade the RAM? Did you do a bios update?

I'm asking, because you may need a bump to the SOC voltage. 1.1v or 1.2v.

If you swapped RAM---the newer set may need it, even thought the old one maybe did not.

If you updated the BIOS---the SOC voltage would have been reset to default.

With errors across multiple drives, I would suspect other hardware, such as RAM.

Did you also upgrade the RAM? Did you do a bios update?

I'm asking, because you may need a bump to the SOC voltage. 1.1v or 1.2v.

If you swapped RAM---the newer set may need it, even thought the old one maybe did not.

If you updated the BIOS---the SOC voltage would have been reset to default.
I know but I did run Prime95 for a few days and no errors and I'm not overclocking.

No RAM upgrade. May have gone bad but I've never found a 100% good way to test RAM. The few times it's been the RAM I found and fixed the issue by replacing the RAM. The testing tools never seem to see an issue.

After the issue, I did update the BIOS and reinstall Win11 on new drives but the issue is random and not sure how to watch for a file randomly disappearing.

The RAM or CPU could have been going bad for some time but I did not see a bad or missing files until I upgraded from Win10 to Win11 and got the new 3.7TB SN850X SSD.

I hate random issues. :(

Back