Is Merom PnP?

a ronin

Gawd
Firstly, I did try searching but quite honestly, there are far too many results to sift through for the answer to. Particularly, I am in a position of acquiring an old revision MacBook Pro at a substantial discount. It is new and has the 2.16 Duo Core with 256MB X1600 and the usual fanfare. </babbling>

So the short and sweet is, I would like to know whether or not Meroms are PnP with the old MBP?

Thank You

a ronin said:
Firstly, I did try searching but quite honestly, there are far too many results to sift through for the answer to. Particularly, I am in a position of acquiring an old revision MacBook Pro at a substantial discount. It is new and has the 2.16 Duo Core with 256MB X1600 and the usual fanfare. </babbling>

So the short and sweet is, I would like to know whether or not Meroms are PnP with the old MBP?

Thank You

No. The processor is soldered into the motherboard.

mrbay said:
Now who gave you that kind of information?

we're talking about MacBook's here, not Merom in general. Apple solders the chips to the motherboards in their MacBook and MacBookPro lines.

mrbay said:
Now who gave you that kind of information?

last time I had my MacBook Pro taken apart, I saw that the processor was soldered onto the logic board.

It's true. In Apple's laptops - but only its laptops - the processor is soldered on to the mainboard (presumably to save space). The iMac, Mac mini, and Mac Pro all have socketed processors, though disassembling the system to upgrade the chip can be a complex process.

Back