Is my 9800GX2 underperforming?

neubspeed

Gawd
So first, I installed it in my current system with 2GB of ram, XP-32, and a Seasonic 650w. The performance I was getting in Crysis was quite weak (everything else was already more than playable at 1920x1200 on a 8800GT).

As a result, I decided to jump to 4GB of ram, get a nice Corsair 620W, and install a fresh legit copy of Vista Ultimate 64 with SP1. I'm currently using forceware 174.53 off the Nvidia website. The ONLY way to get Crysis to appear smooth is to turn all settings to medium. I could already do this with my old GT, I feel as though I wasted $400 and got virtually no performance increase. I even tried Kyle's settings for Crysis off the review (using 1.2 of course) and they were choppy like mad.

Any ideas? What should I be doing? Thanks!!

you sure SLI mode is properly configured? Try doing a proper uninstall of the drivers, driver sweeper in safe mode, CCleaner etc and put in the latest 174.74 drivers and see how that fares. Check the Nvidia control panel for any options that may seem out of whack. If all else fails get the latest nhancer utility and play around with the SLI and game profile settings from within their and hopefully you can figure something out. Your system seems great, you have all the right parts. Even my 8800 Ultra can play everything on high and the GX2 is faster than the Ultra.

Keep us posted on how you make out.

i think i may have had the same issue with crysis. i just got my 9800gx2 and i'm running the latest beta drivers 174.74. i found that running crysis in DX10 mode in Vista 64 was causing it to be slow for some reason. what i did was run it in DX9 mode with tweaked config files to get all the visual stuff to very high...runs way way way better for me in DX9 mode. ironic that it was said that this game would run better and look nicer in vista with dx10....wonder how much microsoft paid crytek to pull that one on us

Alright, you wouldn't believe what just happened. I installed the 174.74 drivers and the game ran great on high... BUT then it hard locked up and I had to restart.

After that, its running again on really crappy FPS and I'm forced to take things down to medium. This all happened in about 10 minutes. ARGH.

ZippZopp: Any ReadMe files on how to do what you did? I'm new to PC gaming/modding after a few years on console.

yeah...

for your config files, you're going to want to grab the configs that are modified to run the settings in very high. you can grab them from here.

http://www.crysis-online.com/images/news/true_dx9vsdx10/Very High in DX9 v1.0.zip

it is grabbed from this page http://www.crysis-online.com/archive.php?page=7

the zip has directions, but all you have to do is drop the system.cfg file from there in the root of your crysis folder.

so now in vista go to start->all programs->games->games explorer. crysis should show up in there. right click the icon and hit "PlayDX9"

this will run it in dx9 mode, but with your tweaked configs to get all the eye candy from dx10

you can edit the config settings by opening the config file in notepad. have a look at the crysis tweak guide to see how to do it and see what the different settings are http://www.tweakguides.com/Crysis_1.html

kind of unrelated but I had a 7950gx2 rma'ed because one of the gpu's would overheat and cause a slow down in fps after 10 minutes of game play.

I installed ntune and my 2nd gpu would hit 120, after further inspection I noticed the fan wasnt running, how are your temps?

Is this the only game you've tried with issues? Or it seems like your lacking performance in other games?

Back