Is my OCZ 600w enough for this?

Steelgrave

Limp Gawd
Been working on building a new intel system since saturday and have been having problems. I'm starting to wonder if the PSU may be the culprit. Here's what I'm building:

Pent D 940
Intel D975XBX Mobo
2 GB (2 1GB sticks) Corsair XMS DDR2
asus 7800GTX video
SB X-Fi Fatal1ty
Dvd rom
dvd +/- R RL DL
4 WD Caviar SE16 250GB drives
3 120mm fans in case.

I would think the 600w psu would be able to handle this. It worked fine in my previous machine (which granted was smaller, but lets me know the psu works).

I'm experiencing all kinds of funky things like an "unknown device" in device mgr that no driver on earth seems to support. After while the 1st optical drive will disappear from windows (my computer and device mgr, yet bios will still show it on reboots), mouse will occasionally not be loaded up on booting up (or disappear entirely without rebooting).

I first thought this was a bad mobo/cpu/memory or part thereof. However I'm on my 3rd mobo, 2nd cpu and 2nd set of ram, so I'm running out of ideas quick. I've upgraded the bios, d/l'ed the latest drivers all to no avail.

Is it possible my OCZ psu just doesn't like to play with intel?

modstream or powerstream?

i have the modstream 520w with 3HD's, DVD burner, and x1900xtx and it runs flawlessly. i've attached as much as 5HD's, without a problem as well. 600w will be able to handle it.

Powerstream I believe (I'm at work right now, but pretty sure it's the Powerstream).

I would think it would handle it too, why I started wondering if somehow intel mobo's just don't like it. :confused:

yeah its fine i have a 7800gtx opteron 144 2 HDs and 12v watercooling and i jave an OCZ 520w powerstream... the powerstreams are really good PSUs and are highly recomended for DFI's

Plenty, old system had this PS with 7800gtx SLI, 3 HD, 6 120mm fans 2 dvd's and opty 175 OC to 2.7 and plenty of juice to spare.

"Yes.
Might even be a little "too" much..."

AFAIK their isn't such thing as too much. Anyway, are you running any sort of RAID stripping array with those drives. If you are stripping across 3 or 4 of those drives, then the 12V rail may overload at times, if that PSU isn't decent. I'm not too sure on OCZ PSUs, so it may be fine however.

Thanks for all the replies.

Turns out the mobo was bad. Bought a Gigabyte 1975x instead and everything works fine.

Yes I have a raid 5 setup with these 4 drives, but they being powered by both 12v rails, so it "should" be ok hehehe.

With everything in the system and the PSU being almost a year old, I think it's probably at the limit right now (or close to it). Fortunately it has everything in it I need for the forseeable future. On the other hand, time to start saving for that PC P&C 850 :cool:

Actually the motors on the hard drives are all powered off of 12v1 on an ATX12v2.0 PSU with 12v2 feeding the processor.

Congratulations on resolving it. I was thinking mobo from the beginning, but you said three in a row had the same symptoms. How did that happen?

Spectre said:
Actually the motors on the hard drives are all powered off of 12v1 on an ATX12v2.0 PSU with 12v2 feeding the processor.

Hmm Interesting (I really know joack about PSU's other than total wattage).

mavalpha said:
Congratulations on resolving it. I was thinking mobo from the beginning, but you said three in a row had the same symptoms. How did that happen?

Bad batch of boards was all I could think of. I noticed the last time someone else had returned an Intel 975xbx board as well that day.

Back