Is there a way to disable XP Pro services en masse?

Is there a way to disable XP Pro services en masse?

I've always been clicking each and every one and setting them to disabled, it takes forever and im finally sick of it. There has to be a way i can disable them all and only enable a select few.

Oh dear, please tell me this is a joke. :rolleyes:

I guess I should rephrase. It's been proven to ad nauseum that disabling unused services gives you absolutely no performance benefit. There are guides out there to assist in what each service does, but I can honestly say disabling services en masse might possibly be the best way to screw your system up. What are your reasons for wanting to disable so many services?

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=914406

If you truly want to get rid of a lot of the stuff that comes with the OS try going to control panel>addremove programs, then on the left side is a tab that says "add/remove Windows Components." Hope that helps. :)

djnes said:
Oh dear, please tell me this is a joke. :rolleyes:

I guess I should rephrase. It's been proven to ad nauseum that disabling unused services gives you absolutely no performance benefit. There are guides out there to assist in what each service does, but I can honestly say disabling services en masse might possibly be the best way to screw your system up. What are your reasons for wanting to disable so many services?

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=914406

beat me to it... pool on posts before lock?? :p

this is on a 700 mhz machine with 128 megs of ram, trust me, it acts like crap if all of the services are running

also ive had about 10 services enabled since windows xp came out and its been working perfect, but i just reformatted

You still aren't going to get a noticable performance increase even if you are running a slow computer. Believe me, I have tried. I'm running a P3 866MHz with 384MB RAM. Originally I had 128, but I relised that I'm still going to be passing the 128 mark no matter how many services I disable. The only way to use less RAM is to revert to Windows 2000 or something. Even that won't help much IMO.

Big Fat Duck said:
this is on a 700 mhz machine with 128 megs of ram, trust me, it acts like crap if all of the services are running

also ive had about 10 services enabled since windows xp came out and its been working perfect, but i just reformatted

If the service isn't needed, than most likely it's not using any resources anyway. So, in the end, your gaining nothing by disabling them. If you disable the wrong service, you'll be wishing the PC was only running slow. I would upgrade the memory if you absolutely need this PC to be functional. Disabling service is not the way to go, if performance is what you're after.

Back