Is there or will there be a convertible laptop like this?

ekuest

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm looking for one that is ridiculously thin and light with an i3 or i5 in the tablet part and an HD4000 or so, and then in the detachable keyboard dock part it has extra battery and a dedicated gpu (not necessarily a high-end gaming one, just better than integrated). is there anything like that out or that anyone has heard about? it seems like that design would be ideal since in tablet mode most people just browse and watch movies etc, and when they need to get work done or multitask etc they want a keyboard and more power/more battery. TIA!

~evan

I don't think you are going to get a dedicated GPU in a separate keyboard yet. I'm not saying it is impossible, but I don't think it is going to happen soon. There are very light touch screen laptops like the Sony Pro models that have tablet like functionality, but the tablet isn't detachable.

Another option is to carry both a light tablet and a light notebook. I've found that carrying both a Nexus 10 and a Asus x202e with an i3 good for trips, but there are much faster and lighter laptops than the Asus that I have. Mine both fit in one Timbuk2 case and having separate functionality means that you have separate battery life for watching movies and/or doing work. My combination is about 4.5 lbs, but you can get that weight down less if you go with a lighter and smaller tablet and lighter notebook. With something like a Nexus 7 and Sony Pro, you could be under 3 lbs.

On another note, I don't know if you've used i3 or i5s, but the graphics are even fast enough for light gaming at lower resolutions.

I don't think you're going to find a device like this with a GPU in the keyboard. I think the closest you're likely to get to that in the near-term would be 4K displays that are connected via Thunderbolt and have GPUs on board necessary to drive high-end video at 4K resolutions. Perfect companion (along with a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse) for your productivity tablet.

Future devices would likely have native 4k support.

Future devices would likely have native 4k support.

I think it will be quite awhile before we see tablet GPUs capable of doing quality rendering at 4K resolutions. If you want to game at 4K, it will be years before an embedded GPU can handle it. Even a Titan chokes playing some games on triple monitor setups right now.

For video I doubt it will be that long.

i dont care about 4k at all on a laptop. that is a ridiculous ppi that wont be worth the premium for many years. i do want a convertible with 1080p or at the very least 900x1600 (would like 11-14" screen) and a gpu that can drive medium games at medium settings at that res. i do not need it on the go obviously and would rather have the space and battery savings of integrated while in tablet mode, but id like to be able to dock it for more battery and a dedicated gpu. i really dont see why no one is doing this yet. fanless tablets with i3 or i5 cpus and integrated graphics are common, and putting a fan-cooled dedicated gpu with a battery into a keyboard dock with some extra ports doesnt seem too hard either. I WANT THIS.

Back