Is this a good AGP buy?

lil layzie

Gawd
Well a few months ago, my Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro died. It just started artifacting all over the screen while I was playing a game. I guess it served me well for almost 3 years. I been on my friends spare video card ever since. It's a 3dfx Voodoo3 lol. It can't even play the latest games because it has no 3d acceleration support.

Anyways, I was browsing through New Egg and saw the EVGA 7800GS 256MB priced at $154.99 after rebates.

I haven't been keeping up with the latest hardware and stuff because I've been busy with school and such. So I was wondering if that's a good deal for that type of card. Is that card I linked to is a huge step up from the 9800 pro? I'm also wondering how well EVGA's support is if I ever needed to deal with them. My system specs are in sig.

That is a pretty good deal for a 7800GS, and will provide you a pretty nice performance increase over the 9800PRO. Just make sure you have a PSU that can handle it (BTW, the Voodoo 3 does indeed have 3D acceleration support - it was a 3D accelerator after all - just good luck trying to get anything newer than four years old to run on it...)

That is a pretty good deal for a 7800GS, and will provide you a pretty nice performance increase over the 9800PRO. Just make sure you have a PSU that can handle it (BTW, the Voodoo 3 does indeed have 3D acceleration support - it was a 3D accelerator after all - just good luck trying to get anything newer than four years old to run on it...)

Oh, I tried to run Marvel Ultimate Alliance on it and it said it could not start because my video card doesn't support 3d acceleration. It must have meant it doesn't have dx9 capabilities.

Anyways, I went to my local Frys and bought the eVGA 7800gs for $179.99. It comes with a $50 rebate which expires tomorrow (3/27). Good deal, no?

Oh, I tried to run Marvel Ultimate Alliance on it and it said it could not start because my video card doesn't support 3d acceleration. It must have meant it doesn't have dx9 capabilities.

Anyways, I went to my local Frys and bought the eVGA 7800gs for $179.99. It comes with a $50 rebate which expires tomorrow (3/27). Good deal, no?

Yeah, considering that rebate, that's a pretty nice deal.

Back