Is this monitor setup possible?

Mabrito

Supreme [H]ardness
Before I go out and buy another card for this, just want to make sure this is possible.

My Setup: 2 monitors on workstation and a TV out in the living room that I ran cable to, so my PC connects to it as well. My PC functions as a HTPC as well for the living room PC.

What I want to do is, clone my main monitor display to the TV, and then setup a dual monitor view with the second monitor on my desk. Basically, the TV and main monitor will have the same display and then I can drag windows to the second monitor.

I have a HD 6870 and found some limitations with what adapters you use at the same time. I was thinking of picking up a cheap 20 dollar card for the TV connection.

Is this even possible (hopefully I made sense)?

you'll want to use an HDMI duplicator on your main monitor.

Ah, didn't think about something like that. Yes that would simplify this!

Thanks....have to head to Frys today anyway for some Christmas shopping, ill see if they have one.

Yes it's possible, but the card you have most likely only supports two monitor connections. A cheap 20 dollar card for the TV connection should work. Sound might be an issue, though.

Yes it's possible, but the card you have most likely only supports two monitor connections. A cheap 20 dollar card for the TV connection should work. Sound might be an issue, though.

Yep. I have two DVI's and a HDMI connection, but the HDMI is shared with one of the DVI's, apparently, so when I plug in both DVI's and HDMI, the second DVI doesnt turn on.

Just realized my monitor doesn't do HDMI (thought it did), so the HDMI duplicator route is a no go.

My sounds is through a X-FI card, so I am not worried about that.

Yep. I have two DVI's and a HDMI connection, but the HDMI is shared with one of the DVI's, apparently, so when I plug in both DVI's and HDMI, the second DVI doesnt turn on.

Just realized my monitor doesn't do HDMI (thought it did), so the HDMI duplicator route is a no go.

My sounds is through a X-FI card, so I am not worried about that.

hdmi duplicators are easier to come by than dvi ones. just use a dvi-hdmi cable on your monitor end.

hdmi duplicators are easier to come by than dvi ones. just use a dvi-hdmi cable on your monitor end.

Thats what I just did. Got the HDMI to DVI cable and the duplicator at Frys. Works perfectly.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Back