Is this normal?

Nemesis999

2[H]4U
Over the last few months I've noticed that my Samsung Syncmaster 215TW has an odd glowing effect when the screen is black. Each of the corners has an area that glows slightly instead of being the same level of black as the rest of the screen. Now that I know it's there it's starting to get annoying. Is this normal?

Pics below. It's not actually purple, I just had to mess with the white balance/exposure time to make it show up properly on the camera.

img4803az7.jpg

img4806ca8.jpg

Samsung CRT's are proving themselves prone to this sort of thing. I believe you can open it and adjust it somehow, but someone else will need to elaborate. It maybe similar to the text-sharpening fix in the FW900 thread.

Pixel Eater said:
Samsung CRT's are proving themselves prone to this sort of thing. I believe you can open it and adjust it somehow, but someone else will need to elaborate. It maybe similar to the text-sharpening fix in the FW900 thread.

I'd rather not void a warranty on my new monitor. :)

So is this a model thing? As in does every 215TW have this? Or should I be returning it on warranty?

That is simply the backlight bleeding. Every review I've read on that monitor mentioned it in the corners. I think you can adjust the contrast/brightness to reduce it.

Even without backlight bleeding, it's still normal for an LCD's "black" screen not being anywhere near black, right, kind of like light pollution in the night sky over major cities?

That very largely depends on the type and quality of the panel. The 215tw is one of the better panels on the market in that price range, so blacks will look pretty black. However, it does have minimal backlight bleeding in the corners.

Back