is this possible?

c10

Limp Gawd
I currently have a ATI 4870 card, with dual DVI out. This is what I want for my primary monitors. However, I want HDMI sound out, and my mobo does not have it.

Can I use a second video card (4650), and use the HDMI sound? Then use the video HDMI out to go to my receiver where I get a 3rd monitor AND sound?

PS, the onboard audio on my mobo is the Realtek ALC1200.

Would going to this trouble be worth the effort considering I already have an X-Fi that I can use over SPDIF to a receiver.

Next question is, if 98% of my usage is for high quality mp3 and flac files... is this even an issue?

There is no advantage to using HDMI for audio unless you play surround high definition sound (apart from less wires :)).
Even then, there are barriers to prevent PCs playing Blu Ray film high def sound, currently requiring you to purchase a certain HDMI soundcard, the Asus HDAV 1.3

Stereo high def sound can pass down SPDIF/optical so its not an issue for you unless you want high definition movie sound.
Only that Asus card will let you play high def movie sound unless you rip and encode the movies yourself with the high def sound muxed onto the new video stream.

Back