ISCSI / NAS Question

Jasonx82

Supreme [H]ardness
Hi Guys,

If my main purpose of a NAS is to use iscsi/lun datastore for multiple test vms (esxi)
Does the cpu matter? will it make a diff between a atom c3538 vs a Pentium ?

Thank you in advance.

What IIC is asking:
What type of VMs?
I assume the vms on a separate box?
How large are they and how many will there be?
Does performance matter?
Are you using hdd or sdd?
Raid array or jbod?
10g, 1g or bonded in-between network?
What OS are you considering to act as the nas?
How much ram are you planning on getting for it?
Since you’re looking at small procs are you trying for a low power usage build?

For straight NAS the cpu doesnt matter much, but if you choose too poor of a processor it can affect the max read/write capability and performance.

Thank you guys both much appreciated for the response!

I'm deciding between a Synology 1618+ ( Intel Atom C3538 ) vs Synology 3018XS (Intel Pentium Dual Core) they will be connected to a dell poweredge running esxi with the datastore located on the NAS. I'm trying to decide if its worth it to spend extra 500 to for the Pentium processor over the atom when nothing else is running on the nas besides the iscsi connections.

This is mainly used for a test environment / lab and messing around with esxi.

If it's that simple, go cheaper than a Synology. If your only purpose is to expose iSCSI to one machine, then you're not using the extremely broad featureset of Synology's operating system and that's what you're paying for.

I would also advise looking into building your own. FreeNAS, for example, can do iSCSI from their web GUI. I've used it and it works- even with FreeNAS installed into a Hyper-V VM with the drives passed directly through, and with no performance degradation.

I second ICC, if you’re planning raid 6 the intel processors should get you full bandwidth of the drives, the atom you might be cpu bound (assuming you bond the 4 ethernet ports).
For the costs of those units you could build a really solid freenas matx or itx U-nas build and get an extra 2 drive slots:

It would be about 1/2 of the cost building it yourself vs buying it prebuilt and alot better internals (even though you'd have to pickup you own components).
u-nas.com :: U-NAS Server Chassis

You didn't answer if you were using SSD or HDD though, if you are using ssd neither the network or CPU will give you the full bandwidth you'd need a better processor and 10Gb.

Back