ISP says RIAA Must Pay for Piracy Protection

HardOCP News

[H] News
So the RIAA says it is giving up on mass lawsuits (here) to focus on combating piracy at the ISP level. Too bad for them that some ISPs don’t feel like doing the RIAA’s dirty work for free.

According to Scroggin, if RIAA representatives ask the help of his ISP, they had better bring their checkbook--and leave the legal threats at home. Scroggin said that he receives several notices each month with requests that he remove suspected file sharers from his network. Each time, he gets such a notice from an entertainment company, he sends the same reply. "I ask for their billing address," Scroggin said. "Usually, I never hear back."

Of course the RIAA and MPAA will just claim that the ISP has a legal and/or morale obligation to police the internet if confronted with the question.

I wonder what the government will say about this when they see that RIAA is going behind their backs and setting up their own police force of sorts.

ah this is funny they cut their shit right before obama took office wait could what they have been doing acting like the mafia been illegal and they feared a backlash

I wonder how this is going to work with a large isp who does this for them if your not really downloading anything? I mean its not like they haven't confused accused the wrong people of doing this before.

I love this guy - we should find out where he lives and get him a beer / hookers gift basket.

The bottom line is, if ISPs start cutting people off right and left like the RIAA wish them to, the ISPs will start to lose users, i.e. money. And it's been said before....people tend to go where their freedom is left alone, even if they don't exercise it much. It's human nature.

I personally think we should start to worry when we see large sums of cash thrown around and the RIAA itself ends up with a vested interest in the ISPs themselves. Then things would probably get really nasty.

Though it took a moment it was in English and I could perfectly understand it...

Unfortunately I'm sure that what they had been doing was legal, and lets not turn this into a political debate. This subject is too awesome to have it turned into such...

I wish this guy was the owner of my ISP... Unfortunately Comcast likes to jump in bed with every entertainment and government organization that they can... The worse 2 years of my life was working for them... :mad:

If every ISP followed suit maybe the RIAA would take a step back and realize that their business model is flawed and it is due to this that their profit margin has been suffering, not piracy...

Just like the American auto industry, these companies need to come to see the light of reality and fix their ways before it is too late.

The guy has a valid point. Most ISP's if they had enough proper/legal information would follow the law and do what needs to be done. BUT the RIAA has to understand that there are tangible dollar figures involved labor-wise to get the job done and that the ISP's are NOT going to do it out of charity.

I wouldn't be surprised if the RIAA attempts to coerce the ISPs to pass the cost onto the ISP's customers.

ISPs should NOT be asking for, or demanding money to follow up on proper evidence (that the courts decide) of illegal use of their service.

I see him saying he wants money to track down these requests, in which I would say... well you should have charged more for your service. This is an operating cost.

On the other the RIAA requests seem to lack evidence supported by some legal measure. Otherwise these "requests" would be warrants or legal orders. (well except for these lame court clerk ordered warrants which is just plain WRONG).

He is right that he should be reimbursed for activity that is not ordered by a court. Though I firmly am against this, it is his business and my option to not do business with him.

IF the RIAA want to start policing piracy through ISPs then YES they will have to pay for something because this is essentially self-policing. Otherwise they should be getting warrants and legal orders to do so.

This means that ISPs would effectively have to either monitor and restrict or just block portions of their service which will cost money both in customers and in additional assets and resources.

Unless somehow the RIAA etc gets law in effect that forces the ISP to do this, it would be a pay/contract between the RIAA etc and ISP. Though a law like this would be wrong, I could still see it happening...

The real problem is evidence!

While spoofing an IP is easy there has to be an acceptable method of tracking down illegal use of the internet.

I can easily make a fake license plate but that does not stop law enforcement from getting warrants to the original license plate owner to check further...

There just has to be a legal way for RIAA and ISPs to work through this, though the RIAA will be displeased to find out all the "PROPER" work needed to bring up a suite would cost more then its worth.

I am now just waiting for this to happen...

ISP: As requested we have a list of the people you would like to take to court for file sharing.

RIAA: Great, that saved us a fortune in hunting them down ourselves.

ISP: Yep, we just need you to pay this bill for our engineers time and expenses and we will hand them over to you.

RIAA: Erm, ah, we expected you to do it for free, we cant pay you anything.

RIAA: Hello, Hello, are you still there... I think they hung up on us... How dare they. Time to take them to court for failure to do our job.

I wouldn't be surprised if the RIAA attempts to coerce the ISPs to pass the cost onto the ISP's customers.

however wouldn't this have the added effect of some ISP's just saying no to the riaa and keeping costs down, therefore adding customers who get tired of fee increases... I mean...at least that is how capitalism is supposed to work.

really at this point.. the isp's can just say no to the riaa without any major ramifications. It is already stated in their usage terms that they are only the provider and have no connection to what users do online...as it should be.

futhermore if any of these does see legal issues, i think its time to upgrade our federal system with judges that are not rooted somewhere back in the 20's

Did anyone else notice that the racketeers apparently can't tell the difference between the person they're trying to shake down and the person working for the ISP they're trying to get to do their dirty work for them?

Heh, I'd like to see RIAA buy content filters for all the major ISP's... talk about a massive check.

Heh, I'd like to see RIAA buy content filters for all the major ISP's... talk about a massive check.

i wonder when the real number will sink in and they realize the crusade costs them more than the piracy?

Back