iTunes Borking Windows

HardOCP News

[H] News
The “handful” of people complaining yesterday that iTunes 8 was borking (BSODs) their Windows boxes has now turned into “lots of complaints.” Obviously this is a Windows problem because everything Apple makes is amazingly awesome. If you are having the same problem, hit the link above and follow the advice given by the author.

How can this be happening? Assuming that the underlying hardware is working correctly, STOP errors can only be caused by kernel-level drivers or system services. A poorly written program can crash itself but not the entire system. So how can a supposedly simple software update cause a fatal crash?

BSOD = Borking? I knew it was Swedish.

But anyways, you hit the nail right on Steve. It's clearly Microsoft's fault because Apple "just works".

from article said:
And it’s delivering this massive payload without even a pretense of proper disclosure and without asking consent from its users.

There they go again.

LMAO. Im quite literally chatting with my friend on AIM and hes complaining about the new itunes making his whole computer freeze. LOL

I remember when if I downloaded something in itunes like a podcast, my CPU pegged at 100%. It was a 1.5Ghz proc with XP loaded. I called apple support and they said that I needed a faster processor. Since other apps could download without a problem, I knew it was caused by itunes, and chalked the cause up to Apple being in favor of their own OS, and not caring too much about itunes performance on Windows. Apparently this is still true. Not a very good business move IMO.

Well this sucks. If I want to update my iPhone to work, I've got to let it kill windows.....

/facepalm

I dove in. Set a restore point first though. iTunes 8 worked a LOT better for me than the previous CRAP. GUI is much more responsive for me and user friendly. Tiled view? Apple fanboys are gonna hate that.

Somehow I doubt we'll see an Apple vs. PC Guy add showing that iTunes makes Windows crash.

I'm honestly getting tired of all the shit that gets installed with iTunes. I've recently reformatted, and I think I'm going to install iTunes long enough to burn all of my music purchased through the store (all 10 songs) to CD so I can re-rip them as mp3. After that, I'm not going near iTunes for a long time.

OK...on a more serious note. I NEED MORE INFO ON THIS ISSUE.

I read the article, and it states it updates the USB driver. My mother is now having problems installing USB external Hardrives on her machine. The reason seems to directly coincide with this update. She DOES HAVE AN IPHONE CONNECTED, and lets the Apple software update automatically. She has an XP box, and it would seem that her Vista laptop is unaffected.

I spent 4 hours trying to fix the issue, and couldn't. If this is tied to Apple, I'm gonna be pissed.:mad:

It's iTunes for Windows, does anyone think it'll actually work without issues? Come on... get real. I have absolutely no reason to doubt Apple is doing things to intentionally cripple their products when used on the Windows platform so people will become so angry about it they'll figure "It must be Windows, so I'll go get a Mac..."

Please... Apple knows precisely what they're doing, second by second.

iTunes = worse than any virus. This is why it will never be installed again on any of my systems.

OK...on a more serious note. I NEED MORE INFO ON THIS ISSUE.

I read the article, and it states it updates the USB driver. My mother is now having problems installing USB external Hardrives on her machine. The reason seems to directly coincide with this update. She DOES HAVE AN IPHONE CONNECTED, and lets the Apple software update automatically. She has an XP box, and it would seem that her Vista laptop is unaffected.

I spent 4 hours trying to fix the issue, and couldn't. If this is tied to Apple, I'm gonna be pissed.:mad:

An easy check would be to uninstall the driver as suggested in article to "fix" the problem then see what happens.

I'm honestly getting tired of all the shit that gets installed with iTunes. I've recently reformatted, and I think I'm going to install iTunes long enough to burn all of my music purchased through the store (all 10 songs) to CD so I can re-rip them as mp3. After that, I'm not going near iTunes for a long time.

I'm literally doing this as I type, and I have purchased considerably more than 10 songs, but this is getting out of hand. I updated my wife's PC last night, she plugs in her iPod touch to sync this morning and hard lock. So bloat plus instability = out of here.

Im also having a problem in Vista where iTunes 8 wont connect to iTMS. Where as 7.7 (still on my Vista laptop) works with no issues.

It's iTunes for Windows, does anyone think it'll actually work without issues? Come on... get real. I have absolutely no reason to doubt Apple is doing things to intentionally cripple their products when used on the Windows platform so people will become so angry about it they'll figure "It must be Windows, so I'll go get a Mac..."

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I predict a class action lawsuit by the end of September. I'll stake a steak on that. :D

the whole, you need itunes to use an ipod sucks. i think i will buy my kids a ms zune next time. any other mp3 player suggestions. ijust want to copy and paste my mp3s into the device and play them i dont want some program forced on me to babysit me.

the whole, you need itunes to use an ipod sucks. i think i will buy my kids a ms zune next time. any other mp3 player suggestions? I just want to copy and paste my mp3s into the device and play them. I dont want some program forced on me to babysit me, like itunes or aol.

the whole, you need itunes to use an ipod sucks. i think i will buy my kids a ms zune next time. any other mp3 player suggestions? I just want to copy and paste my mp3s into the device and play them. I dont want some program forced on me to babysit me, like itunes or aol.[/QUOTE]

the whole, you need itunes to use an ipod sucks. i think i will buy my kids a ms zune next time. any other mp3 player suggestions. ijust want to copy and paste my mp3s into the device and play them i dont want some program forced on me to babysit me.

There's always foobar2000 and the foo_dop plugin. Obviously not as plug-and-play as Itunes but much less resource-intensive

What do you guys use for your music library?
Winamp, foobar, WMP, all suck.

iTunes is great for big libraries, besides all this crap.

I've been avoiding installing Quicktime and iTunes for years now, cause I don't want their additional crap installed on my computer.

There's always foobar2000 and the foo_dop plugin. Obviously not as plug-and-play as Itunes but much less resource-intensive

These types of plugins are effectively useless for the latest 6th generation iPods, the new iPod touch 2nd gen just introduced this week, the iPhone 3G introduced a while back, and pretty much anything else Apple will create in the future.

Their decision to encrypt the database structures on the iPods/iPhones is what's causing that. Just another way to stamp out third party competition for iTunes or any song management tools whatsoever, especially the most popular third party iPod song management software on the planet, Anapod Explorer.

Does anyone see this type of activity as almost in a manner that ensures their monopoly over the iPod and DAP market? I do... must be just me... I dunno...

I dropped iTunes about a year ago after I had enough of it and couldn't take it anymore. It got to the point where for some reason I would go to sync my iPod, and it would take literally overnight, if not longer, to sync one or two albums, and cause everything else running to behave abnormally. I did some research, and ended up switching to MediaMonkey, and haven't looked back since, and now refuse to put iTunes on my computer. I love MediaMonkey, and it syncs my iPod better than iTunes did. All I have to do is plug it in, hit the sync button on MM, and I'm good to go. No apple apps on my computer since then, except for QT Lite.

SANSA, It just works.

I know this is going to sound rude, but maybe some of you don't have your computer setup properly. I've been using a 1G nano and iTunes for about three years now and have not had any problems at all. I installed ver 8 tonight, plugged in the nano and wammo...my computer is just fine. Quit blaming the software and start looking are your install. No one is perfect. Also, I'm not an apple fanboy. The only Apple equipment I own is the nano and it will get replaced when it doesn't work anymore.

Yeah, for one, I've never had a problem with iTunes on Windows. I prefer 6.0 because, IMO, it's much, MUCH less bloated... But again, I've never had a *single* problem with my 200gb+ Database of music, on a server, on my 10/100 network...

I use foobar, very light weight and as customizable as you want. I have an old gen 1 or 2 ipod that I use with it and it works great. I absolutely hate bloated software so I haven't installed Itunes or Quick time on this computer and not having any other choices for the new ipods is a big negative for me upgrading.

I know this is going to sound rude, but maybe some of you don't have your computer setup properly. I've been using a 1G nano and iTunes for about three years now and have not had any problems at all. I installed ver 8 tonight, plugged in the nano and wammo...my computer is just fine. Quit blaming the software and start looking are your install. No one is perfect. Also, I'm not an apple fanboy. The only Apple equipment I own is the nano and it will get replaced when it doesn't work anymore.

I knew there was someone else out there. I agree, iTunes does everything I want it to do, and it dioes so without any issues at all.

I agree whole heatedly.

Does anyone see this type of activity as almost in a manner that ensures their monopoly over the iPod and DAP market? I do... must be just me... I dunno...
I've been saying that for years. How Apple has avoided actions against its monopolistic tendencies astounds me, especially considering how MS lands in court for far far less.

I can't wait until someone makes an iTunes alternative for those of us forced to use it. I get more use out of my iphone than any phone I've ever had but dealing with iTunes almost doesn't make it worth it. I don't understand why everyone loves this program and how nobody seems to see the stupidity of the sync process. Apple has survived on hype and false marketing stereotypes for years...I can't wait for that to come crashing down around them.

I know this is going to sound rude, but maybe some of you don't have your computer setup properly.
My buddy has a first day xbox that's still running fine therefore everyone else who's had the RROD must be doing something wrong.

Well, I use MediaMonkey. Very powerful player / ripper / organizer, and with 3.0, it can handle 100,000 songs...:)

Thanks - trying it out now. Pretty cool so far, very customizable.

Off topic - I don't like the new cover flow style in iTunes 8. If I'll keep using iTunes, I'll downgrade to iTunes 7. Albums need to be seperated better, and the gray background for the covers is no way better than the white background with cover reflection that 7 had.
Also, iTunes 7 doesn't eat up as much memory. That's probably just because of "Genius", which doesn't work for half of my library. :rolleyes:

I'm still using iTunes 7, its been bugging me to upgrade for the past few months, I keep ignoring it.

I'm tired of Apple shoving crap onto my PC. I've been thinking of switching to something else. I don't buy anything from the iTunes store, I only use it to sync to my 2GB 1st gen nano, so I won't miss it.

Obviously this is a Windows problem because everything Apple makes is amazingly awesome.

:D :D

This line made my day :p

Made me remember the apple fanboys on another forum screaming "Microsoft Office is the only thing that crashes OSX"

Uh yeah, because every computer in the world is the same and installs should be flawless..

Say, that sounds awfully similar to Apple computers!

Yeah I seem to get a BSOD coming out of sleep mode since I installed it. I just power down my pc now though instead of leaving it on. Maybe they are trying to make me more energy efficient.

Man I wanted to launch a nuclear bomb at Apple when iTunes 7 BROKE MY IPOD SHUFFLE (the first release). Sad thing was that it happened to hundreds or thousands of other users who installed it, and they posted on Apple's Communist forums to complain about it, only to get their posts deleted. The best thing Apple could do was to release an "iPod shuffler fixer" which only worked for some people. Total bull.

I've said these guys were more monopolistic and hardline Communist-like than Microsoft for a long time

Back