Jumping monitor

cyberslag5k

Limp Gawd
I have a new Asus display, and I really like it. I'm running it as the primary of two monitors, with a GeForce 6800GT. The problem is, when I set it to its highest setting, 1920x1080, which the monitor should support, the screen jumps up and down by like half a centimeter. It doesn't flicker, it literally jumps, and it's impossible to use like that. If I bump it down to the next lowest, 1680x1050, everything is fine.

Does anyone know what might cause this?

Maybe if you bolt the monitor to the desk, it will stop jumping...

Sorry, I just can't get that image out of my mind...

Do you have it connected by VGA or DVI? I'm not 100% sure if a 6800GT would have a DVI port, or if your monitor has a VGA port. If you're using VGA, it could possibly be a bad cable or bad VGA ports on either the monitor or card.

Sounds like a frog infestation. Try traps. Maybe you should get a cat.
Couldn't resist. Check the display properties>advanced and see if the resolution is set to interlaced or 1080i. Had this problem with a single link DVI cable forcing DVI-I

Thanks, gigaxtreme1! That fixed it.

I guess I don't quite understand resolutions. My options were 720p or 1080i (though my monitor says its fully 1080p-ready), and I had been selecting 1080i. When I went to 720p, I could set the resolution up to the highest with no jumping.

My question is, how is my resolution both 720p and 1920x1080? The latter makes sense to me, as it's the number of pixels on the screen. I don't really understand how the former enters in.

Back