Just got a Dell 2005FPW, could it be a refurb?

WCES Ryan

Gawd
After more than a week of impatience, I recieved my new(?) Dell 2005FPW on Friday. The thing looks and works kickass, except that when I pulled it out of the box, the VGA cable was connected to it, and one of the setscrews on the cable connecting it to the monitor was all bent and the head was stripped. Got it to come out with a flathead screwdriver (Phillips wouldn't work it was so bad), and the port looks fine, but I didn't like seeing this on my expensive new monitor. I thought maybe I got a refurb or something... I bought right off the Dell website, so I wouldn't think that there would be a problem (not that I care so much anyway), but it certainly made me wonder. I don't recall any protective cover being stuck on the screen either like I thought there would be.

So what do you guys think, did I get a refurbished unit or did they just screw up when they connected the VGA cable?

Both my original and my replacement had the vga cable connected on arrival. Both also had a protective screen cover. On a side note, both are going back due to bad, bad backlight bleeding. Terrible manufacturing on Dell's part.

mine had the vga cable connected too, i dont know why people comeplain about black light bleeding its not like you sit and stare at a black screen all day, i would only send my back for dead pixels cause they are easily noticable to me.

No backlight bleeding for me, not that I've seen anyway, but I still need to do a proper test

I bought 2, by default (for whatever reason) the VGA connector is always attatched, and the DVi cable is sealed with the two protectors.

I highly doubt you received a refurb.

they've sent me a refurb once (on my like fifth 2005fpw that suffered backlighting problems). it had a huge sticker (EDIT: sticker on box) that marked it refurbished. the boxing is different and obviously so. apparently they do plug in and "test" these monitors..though their standards are low and they pass a lot of crap to the customer. or perhaps we are the picky one? :D

leave your monitor on for a few hours before conducting a test, backlighting problems will not show unless your screen is at its warmest...unless you're unlucky and got one that bleeds immiately after its wake.

Well, considering the monitor was going to be used for watching movies about half the time, the bleeding is very noticeable. Even so, I feel that it is unacceptable for a high-end product to have such basic problems.

Back