Just ordered my New Pc- Tell me what you think...

mafeishHASHISH

Limp Gawd
Well after a month of lurking these forums, I just decided to order a new PC.... Here's what I ordered today, and I'm still looking for help on the case, and the OS primarily.

Intel Q6600 - Going to use stock cooler. (should be able to reach 3.0Ghz)

OCZ Reaper HPC 2x2GB - 4GB 4-4-4-15 timings

EvGA 8800GTS G92

Abit IP35 PRO

500 GB WD HDD

Corsair 520 HX

and a DVD burner...

Now my question is what case should I get, and what OS should i stick to, should I go for XP ro Vista, and 32 bit or 64 bit? Also do I need to upload the RAID/SATA drivers using a floppy still, or is that changed now?

how easy is that to install? I might get it later, because I pretty much only have like around 200 more dollars, which i need for case and OS...

And I've heard of lots of people hitting 2.8/3.0 with stock cooler.

i think you should go with a case that offers a lot of cooling potential possibly onr that has the room for a water cooling setup

either go with XP pro or (Home premium if you want to play direct x10 games)

What about getting VIsta Home basic for system builders (around 50$$$) and then I can get a good heatsink?

why dont you get an asus silent sqaure?? The above you posted are good but if you want total silence either go for that or huddy's recomendationtion. if you cant afford them then go for the zalmans because they are near silent anyway

Do not get any of the Zalman 7- or 8-series CPU coolers. Choose the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme or get one of the following:

Scythe SCNJ-1100P Ninja HSF - $36
Tuniq Tower 120 HSF - $45
ZEROtherm Nirvana NV120 120mm HSF - $45
Thermalright Ultima-90 HSF - $46 & Panaflo FBA09A12M 92mm Fan - $3

One of those coolers will keep the Q6600 cooled, at stocks speed as well as overclocked, better than the Zalman 9-series HSFs... and their fans run relatively quiet. If the fans that come with the CPU coolers are too loud for you, swap them out with the Scythe S-Flex SFF21E 120mm fan.

A couple of caveats: The ZEROtherm Nirvana has a fan that you can't easily replace, and the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme and Ultima 90 do not come with a fan on their own. The Ultima 90 can use both 92mm and 120mm fans.

You need a 64-bit OS to fully utilize all 4GB of RAM. The 64-bit versions of Vista are better supported driver-wise than WinXP x64. Here's the differences between Vista Home Basic and Vista Home Premium (choose one based on your individual needs):

The differences between the two Vista Home versions are as follows...
  • Vista Home Basic is Vista in name only: It offers DirectX 10, Windows Defender, IE7, and the revamped Window Firewall. There's little difference, outside of DirectX 10, between XP Home/Pro and Vista Home Basic.
  • Vista Home Premium has those previously mentioned features, plus the Aero desktop interface, Media Center (with additional multimedia functions), and additional tools for multiple monitors, laptops, and tablets.
Since the Home Premium OEM disc is only $20 more than the Home Basic OEM disc -- and it would cost more to "upgrade" from Home Basic to Home Premium through the Vista Anytime Upgrade (IIRC, around $50) -- it's not going to kill you to get Vista Home Premium now.

Do not get any of the Zalman 7- or 8-series CPU coolers. Choose the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme or get one of the following:

Scythe SCNJ-1100P Ninja HSF - $36
Tuniq Tower 120 HSF - $45
ZEROtherm Nirvana NV120 120mm HSF - $45
Thermalright Ultima-90 HSF - $46 & Panaflo FBA09A12M 92mm Fan - $3

One of those coolers will keep the Q6600 cooled, at stock speed or overclocked, while their fans run relatively quiet. If the fans that come with the CPU coolers are too loud for you, swap them out with the Scythe S-Flex SFF21E 120mm fan.

Caveats: The ZEROtherm Nirvana has a fan that you can't easily replace, and the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme and Ultima 90 do not come with a fan on their own. The Ultima 90 can use both 92mm and 120mm fans.

Whats wrong with the 7 and 8 series?? what about the 9 series

Whats wrong with the 7 and 8 series?? what about the 9 series

Check out this review of the TRUE 120 from AnandTech. The comparison charts show that the TRUE 120 performed better than the CNPS9500 and the CNPS9700. The Tuniq Tower 120 and the Scythe Ninja also performed well. (The ZEROtherm Nirvana wasn't available at the time of the review.) But the key point right now is that the CPU coolers that I mentioned performed as well as (if not better than) the Zalman 9-series in the same price range ($40-$75 air-cooled HSFs).

BUT I want an HSF that is EASY- I REPEAT EASY to install. Reason is because I had NIGHTMARES with my Thermalright XP-120, and its cooling is mediocre...

if you want something easy to install get an artic freezer 7 you dont need access under the motherboard to install it or remove it but im not sure how well it cools an 0cd Q6600

Fine. Choose one of the 9-series Zalman coolers. But the Tuniq Tower and ZEROtherm Nirvana require as much effort in installation as one of those Zalmans.

I can't have something as big as the Tuniq Tower, because I also have OCZ reaper RAM, which have HUGE ram sinks... and the Tuniq Tower is too expensive too...
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0264587

the thing is I know you all are suggesting all these good suggestions, but I wanna buy is from this store, thats why I just posting form that site...

and I don't think the zalman is gonna do that great of a job anyways. I think I'm gonna use the stock cooler at first to see how it goes, and if the temps are not so great, I'll look into a HSF combo then.

I have the Zerotherm Nirvana on my E6600 @ 3.6 and it cools it 10to12*C better than my Zalman 9500. with the Zalman it use to idle at 39 to 41* and hit in the low 50s at load, now it idles around 27 to 30 and never sees above 42. Just a thought.

Palit 8800GT Super 1GB 740/970 SLI
E6600 @ 3.6 1.47v
Asus P5N-e SLI @ 400
GSkill 2x1Gb DDR800
WD 74GB Raptor
Audigy ZS
Hiper TypeR 580 PSU
Antec 900 v.2
LG L226WTY-BF
3Dmark06 16200

Originally posted by (Your name here)
I think I'm gonna use the stock cooler at first to see how it goes, and if the temps are not so great, I'll look into a HSF combo then.

if you are going to do that dont be too ambitous with your overclock

The advantage of shopping at other place is that you can find select items at lower prices than by buying everything at one store. But that's all I'm going to say on the subject.

Best of luck with your build.

I'm just trying to reach 3.0GHz man... and you know the stock coolers are alot better than people give them credit for, plus my room is the coldest room in the house, so we'll see how it goes.

I know I'm being really stubborn and hard to deal with, but its really hard because I really spent lots of $$$ already and I barely have 200 more dollars to spend, and I wanna get Vista and a good case because they are essentials. And I can always add a HSF later on, right? Like a month or two from now I can always pop off the stock cooler and put a zerotherm Nirvana.

If you can't get a better HSF now, wait until you can afford one. But don't try overclocking with the stock HSF because it's likely to fail on you sooner rather than later.

None of us here would (intentionally) try to have you bust your budget for the best-performing parts, but if you really want to overclock your Q6600, then you should get something that can handle the job.

Dont mention it man here to help out if i can.Again good luck with your build PM me when you finsih;):)

PC N3WB you dick, you probably just spent another $15 of my money that I don't have.

Back